Weight loss pill ?

Options

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I kickstarted my weight loss by joining a boot camp workout at my gym and eating better. Kickstart done. LOL Seriously, diet pills are not good for you and lots of the time they don't even work. Just eat good food, exercise regularly, drink water and sleep.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am taking Phentermine under the supervision of my physician. (it is an RX only medication, classified as a controlled substance by the DEA) I am taking it for assistance with appetite control. I am using it while I "re-learn" how to eat. I am slowly changing my diet to one that is based around more clean eating. This way, I get to eat a much higher volume of (nutrient-dense) food, at a much lower calorie content; so I am getting a fuller belly on the right foods. The Phentermine is there to help curb food cravings, and help me eat much less per sitting. Again, I am trying to teach my brain, mouth, and belly to work to work together to make the right choices. I am not using it as a "quick fix", I am using it as a tool to help change my eating habits for the long term. I see my my doctor monthly, I get vitals checked, I get weighed, she looks at my food and exercise journal, and we talk about adjustments and goals for the next month. I will only be on it for a total of 90 days. After that, I am on my own, so it is crucial that I get my healthy habits down pat :smile:

Previously, I have struggled a lot with portion control and binge eating. Phentermine is helping me overcome this.
  • NikNakNoNo
    NikNakNoNo Posts: 13
    Options
    Dont go there. The high of not feeling hungry is addictive. However your body is smarter than that and cannot be fooled - it stores up all that hunger for later - even months later. The only answer is calorie intake and exercise. Not what you want to hear.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have taken Phentemine 37.5. My Doctor order them for me and thats the only way you can get them is by a doctor. It really works. I was only on them for 3 months. . The first month I lost 20 pounds. 2nd 15pds and 3rd 25pds. Also My weight lost doctor was giving me B12/LIPO shots as well....IT WORKS FOR ME.

We'll be here for those taking Phentermine when you're back. That is, if you make it back alive:

Because phentermine acts through sympathomimetic pathways, the drug may increase blood pressure and heart rate. It may also cause palpitations, restlessness, and insomnia. Additionally, phentermine has the potential to cause psychological dependence.

After short-term use, tolerance begins and can be followed by rebound weight gain. Long term data for use of phentermine shows no net weight loss.

Cardiovascular side effects include palpitations, tachycardia, and elevation of blood pressure. In the central nervous system, it can cause overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, and headache. Its gastrointestinal effects include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, and other gastrointestinal disturbances. It may also cause allergic effects - urticaria and changes in libido.

Its less common, but more severe, side effects include:

Convulsions (seizures)
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Agitation and aggression
    Bizarre behavior
    Mental or mood changes
    Exaggerated sense of well-being
    Increased blood pressure
    Severe or persistent light-headedness, fainting or headache
    Periods of mania followed by period of depression
    Fast or irregular heartbeat
    Overactive reflexes
    Tremors, trembling or shaking
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
    Stomach cramps
    Weakness
    Constipation
    Primary pulmonary hypertension
    Regurgitant cardiac valvular disease
    Pounding in the chest or shortness of breath

Cautions

Phentermine use is contraindicated in those who are:

Allergic to phentermine, any of its metabolites or other sympathomimetics (e.g., pseudoephedrine)
    Taking amphetamine (i.e., Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse), bupropion (WellButrin), dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine, furazolidone, guanadrel, guanethidine, or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (e.g., phenelzine) in the last 14 days
    Subject to severe high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid, glaucoma, heart or blood vessel disease, severe narrowing of the blood vessels, diabetes, a brain or spinal cord disorder, hardening of the arteries, or high cholesterol or lipid levels
    In an agitated state, or have a history of substance abuse
    Pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding

Medicines which may interact with phentermine, such as dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine, furazolidone, or MAOIs (e.g., phenelzine) are contraindicated because of the risk of serious side effects, such as increasing headache, high blood pressure, slow heart rate, elevated temperature, or possibly fatal lung problems, may be increased. Guanadrel (Hylorel) or guanethidine (Ismelin) effectiveness may be decreased by phentermine. Antacids may decrease the excretion of phentermine.[3] Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide, methazolamide) may decrease the excretion of phentermine.[3]

Jan
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I am taking Phentermine under the supervision of my physician.

Again, I am trying to teach my brain, mouth, and belly to work to work together to make the right choices.

Funny. I am doing it with food choices and exercise. Does your doctor know about those?
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    dooooont do itttttt. i went down this path in college. yes, i lost weight, but it's not sustainable. i actually gained all the weight back, and then some, when i realized i shouldn't be taking them. then i had to start all over!

as they say, "there is no quick fix".
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I am taking Phentermine under the supervision of my physician.

Again, I am trying to teach my brain, mouth, and belly to work to work together to make the right choices.

Funny. I am doing it with food choices and exercise. Does your doctor know about those?

Did you miss the rest of her comment where she said she was using the drug to help her start to make those better food choices? while I am not advocating that everyone with a large appetite start taking pharmaceuticals... for some people the desire to eat is so strong that it is literally impossible to resist. You aren't a better person just because you have the ability to resist, it is a primal, biological urge that is stronger in some people. That's not an excuse, it's a fact. If taking the drug for a limited time, as stated, under the supervision of a doctor, will help to cultivate the right habits... well, that is the appropriate way to utilize these drugs.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was perscribed Phentermine in 2001. I only needed to lose about 40 pounds. I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. While I felt more confident and was happy that I was "skinny" it definitely had side effects.

I was never hungry and the thought of food disgusted me. I was always thirsty though and drank a ton of water. I would sweat just sitting at my desk. (doesn't crack do this to you?) I had heart flutters really bad. The first time I had one, I was with a customer and it freaked me out.

I worked in the same office as my mother and she said several times that I was mean and short tempered. She also said that I was starving myself and she said she never saw me eat. I honestly have no recollection of me eating or not. Weird.

Once I lost the weight, I stopped the pills. The weight stayed off for about 3 to 4 months and by month 6, I gained all 30 back plus 20. The fat went all into my stomach and face too. I looked like a different person. SOOOOOO, with that being said.....STAY AWAY FROM DIET PILLS. I don't care who endoreses them or what a doctor says. They are Evil!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    People on this site are always going on about processed food, organic food, don't eat this and that because it has harmful chemicals, etc. So why would you put a pill in your body that was made with God knows what, and does God knows what to your body? These diet pills are some of the most unnatural, chemical compounds you can put in your mouth.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    Say no to pills!!! They don't work!!
    I worry about the trend toward stomach altering, too. I won't do it, but so many people are and I just know that it's not going to go down in history as a medical win.

Jan

It's not a medical win. My best friend had a gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. She was 250 lbs overweight. She definitely lost the weight but is now dealing with a bunch of other issues. Her body can no longer get iron and other nutrients from the food she eats, so now she is severely anemic and has to be hooked up to an IV twice a week just to get her iron and nutrients.

When I asked her if she would go through it again, she told me she would because the weight was killing her and that she would rather deal with the IV. She will have to do that for the rest of her life. I'm happy she lost the weight but it saddens me that she is still unhealthy.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I took meridia under a doctors rx for 17 months ending five years ago, April 15th.

I lost 121 lbs and was the darling of the medical practice....until:

I had to have my gallbladder out
    I was hypertensive (since it is a Phen drug)
    I was addicted to Xanax for sleep
    I had heart palpitations
    My endocrine system crashed
    I somehow developed a false pregnancy from my hormones being shot.
    Miscarried, hemorrhaged and nearly died in my bed
    Had to have a D&C with E.
    Developed a HUGE ovarian cyst, which required hormone therapy

And regained it all at the rate of about 10-15 lbs a month

Other than that .....

Forget diet pills. I'm lucky I didn't permanently damage my heart. I'm lucky to be alive.

That's terrifying! I'm glad you shared!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've messed with em and this is what I've learnt. They're for people at very low bodyfat percentages wanting to get down that bit lower for competition/photoshoot etc. They won't make sod all difference when you have a bad diet. Some people reckon you can take stuff like clen and eat what you want, balls you can! Save your money and stay away. Like others have said, there is no quick fix.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I took meridia under a doctors rx for 17 months ending five years ago, April 15th.

I had heart palpitations

Other than that .....

Forget diet pills. I'm lucky I didn't permanently damage my heart. I'm lucky to be alive.

Im glad you are ok! What an awful experience. This should be a required warning on the label of diet pills.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

I had heart palpitations

Other than that .....

Im glad you are ok! What an awful experience. This should be a required warning on the label of diet pills.

Please note that all "Supplements" are not tested by FDA. This is due to a Law passed many years ago.

Supplement manufacturers can write whatever they want on the pill bottle (and they do). They usually claim "proprietary components/recipe/combination" to avoid full disclosure of pill elements

Buyer beware
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My mother in law permanently damaged her heart using that phentermine stuff. :tongue:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just No. :noway:

I'm about to give you the secret to losing weight.....It's $50, I'll send you the link to my pay pal account.

Exercise more, eat less.

You'll see many folks talking about jump starts, etc. and from someone that has taken everything in the book, eating less and working out more is the only that ever really helped.

Hoping this is a Friday troll thread and not serious, but if serious, see above. I expect that $50 by noon as I need new pants for all the weight I've lost naturally.
  • FromFat2Phat2013
    Options
    I have been taking skinny fiber i took it for three days and it was great it cleaned out my system and gave me energy. My heart never raced and I felt good with me being as big as i am it gave me the energy i never had before i moved so much that day i was sore the next. I couldn't sit down. It was fun to me because I never experience that before. People got to understand like I read up there before the multiviatamins and all that stuff is not FDA approved either and I see people taking multi-vitamins and B12 and all that stuff and that is not FDA approved either. I guess it works different for every person. Anything caffiene will make your heart race....you can also lose weight on meth, crack, and other drugs....like i said it all work different for each person. Just because one had a hard time with it that dont mean someone else will. IMO and Im just saying :)
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've taken phentermine as well as phentetrazine (sp check?) and b12/lipo shots in the past. They worked and worked well...the shots combined with either pill option allowed me to lose about 30 lbs + each time quickly. And I didnt experience any of the negative side effects I've seen others mention. However because I didnt NEED to really change my diet or lifestyle if order to lose the weight each time I stopped the pills the weight came back within a few months.

Weight loss is soooooo much slower now and sometimes I feel bummed by the pace and worried I will never hit my goal. But every small victory means so much more because I know that the lifestyle changes are helping me for the rest of my life and I'm proud that the losses are because of my efforts.

Diet pills can be great additives to lifestyle changes. A key aspect to remember in my opinion is that they arent there to do the work for you. They should only be considered for short term enhancements to a weight loss plan not a long term solution.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If diet pills worked, no one would be fat. I hate listening to radio DJs plug that stuff, and seeing people fall for it. Some of them do help you lose weight, suppress your appetite, but you can't take them forever. You stop taking them, your metabolism is all messed up and you have your appetite back....and you gain the weight back, often times more than you lost. No quick fix works. Period.

Plus they make you feel like your heart is going to explode.
  • g33kg0ddess
    g33kg0ddess Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've taken quit a few diet pills in the past, I'm pretty hard headed like that. Took me a while to realize that the weight I've lost using these pills were temporary and unsustainable. I gained all the weight back (and some), was hospitalized a couple of times and I find it a lit harder to lose weight after taking these magic pills. But yea, taken Trim Spa, Hydroxy Cut, and Phentermine and here were my success stories:

Trim Spa (before they banned Ephedra)-Lost 12 lbs. in a week, extremely thirsty and shaky, rapid heart beat, hallucinated, bloated, caused my acid reflux and the cyst in my abdomen (I was in extreme pain and nearly had surgery. Good thing the cyst bursted on it's own.)

Hydroxycut (before and after they banned Ephedra)-The old formula helped me lose 5-6 lbs. fast and had similar side effects as trim spa . New formula just curbed my appetite a little but not much weight loss.

Phentermine-Lost 34 lbs. I rarely ate, had tons of energy and felt always speedy, experienced my first panic attack, barely slept on top of already having insomnia, probably caused my appendix to almost burst (I had it taken out), rapid heart beat, mood swings and more.

So, there you go. Hope this helps you decide whether to take them or not.