Open-mindedness.... And the lack of it!

Options
The concept is pretty simple.

We all came here because we wanted to change something about our bodies. Obviously, whatever you were doing before coming here wasn't working. MFP offers this great social aspect that provides us with the opportunity to learn from others who have achieved success. The problem is that too many people come here not ready to accept the fact that their ideas about weight loss (or whatever) have been wrong. Therefore, they are not open-minded enough to receive the information that will help them to succeed.

So... If you want to come here and debate with someone that is fine, but at least be open-minded to that person's perspectives. Find out why they have such strong views on the subject. And if you have a little time, research the topic on your own. You never know, you might just learn something that will help you achieve your goals.

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Nah.....
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My mom is very close-minded. Since I have started counting calories, she can see how I am eating better. She constantly talks about being "too fat" but will not do anything about it and she also despises counting calories and says she will NEVER do it. I've tried letting her know that she doesn't have to count everything, just buy things that are generally less then what she has been getting. Anything that is said to her falls on def ears. Yet she likes to fat shame people, including me.

I guess I needed to rant a bit...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My mom is very close-minded. Since I have started counting calories, she can see how I am eating better. She constantly talks about being "too fat" but will not do anything about it and she also despises counting calories and says she will NEVER do it. I've tried letting her know that she doesn't have to count everything, just buy things that are generally less then what she has been getting. Anything that is said to her falls on def ears. Yet she likes to fat shame people, including me.

I guess I needed to rant a bit...

You can't help everyone but this post was more meant for people like her.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Bump... ya closed-minded bishes!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Somehow I thought this post would go over better. The lack of response seems quite ironic to me. :laugh:
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I have had to rethink a lot of things in order to start losing weight. Both my mom and my mother-in-law have wrong ideas about losing weight and won't accept that what I am doing is a good thing. My M-I-L will have a weight loss shake in the morning and won't eat anything else until dinner, where she will procede to eat a tub of ice cream. Yeah, because that balances out and all. And she wonders why she can never lose weight and keep it off...
  • nwarguy
    nwarguy Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to believe that I'm open-minded but must admit that there is one thing that I do struggle with accepting, and that's the issue concerning daily caloric intake needs. MFP and many others have shown that I neeeeeed to ingest at least a certain number of calories, but for some reason I'm so hardheaded on this topic that I WANT to believe that the less calories you eat, the faster you'll burn it off.
    I do keep coming back to the threads though to see people saying that you have to have the calories, if nothing else to at least bring me back down to earth.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It is funny that so many people have these ingrained ideas about health, weight loss, fitness, etc. even if they've never had to worry about it themselves. I have one friend who is naturally VERY thin, and to hear her get on her high horse about obesity is honestly just infuriating.

Now, I'm a far way from obese, but I do struggle with my weight a bit. She is thin by complete chance - she does not eat very well and every time she tries to talk about nutrition, I realize that she actually doesn't understand much about it. It just makes me mad because she's so willing to judge those who have become obese by doing the exact same thing as her - not eating right and not working out! Lack of open-mindedness definitely bothers me!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Very true... but it's only half the issue. Some advice givers aren't open minded enough that their program/routine/preferences might not work well for someone else (maybe different goals, different limitations, etc etc).

So...
    People seeking advice: you don't know everything, that's why you're looking for adivce. Shut up and listen for a change.
    People giving advice: there are lots of ways to skin this cat... your way isn't always the best way.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I never, ever consider myself an expert. And I'm open to most any idea that someone wants to put forth.

Here is what I do know. This is a fitness site. It's focus is on calorie counting, proper nutrition and exercise. There's a whole lot we can debate in there, but one thing is always true.

Any exercise is beneficial.

So when you come to a fitness site ranting and raving, "I DON'T WANNA LIFT!", well you're in the wrong place. You should lift. You should run. You should ride a bike and swim in the ocean and climb mountains.

You should live your life in the best and biggest way possible.

You want to limit yourself? You don't want to find out what you're capable of? Fine. But don't tout it as a great plan. It's mediocrity. It's laziness and fear of the unknown.

Do the work, achieve your goals, post your success thread. Because actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    This forum a minute fraction of a big old world and like the real world it is a rich tapestry of differing mindsets and various opinions.

Why everyone can't just be an adult and ignore the things they don't agree with, learn from people they can learn from and refrain from the juvenile nastiness is beyond me.

If everybody looked the same it would be so damn boring.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. There are some nutters here.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Smug vegetarians
    Smug carnivores
    Smug omnivores
    Smug cannibals
    Cheese haters
    Single food fad diet devotees
    Miracle pill pushers
    IIFIMMers
    Clean eaters
    OCD TDEE folks

Generally though, people here have supported healthy eating and regular exercise which (gasp) has been my formula for success. I've appreciated all the support and information I've gotten and, as a result, I'm 2 pounds to starting weight (restarted at 10 pounds over). This is a big thing for me to be able to reset back to zero and then continue.

Edited to add that there have been some amazing and civil threads on here with lots of good information exchanged.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options

People seeking advice: you don't know everything, that's why you're looking for adivce. Shut up and listen for a change.
    People giving advice: there are lots of ways to skin this cat... your way isn't always the best way.

Agreed.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I could care less what ANYONE has to say anymore.

Growing up I've always battled my weight and when I would do really good others would put me down saying a bunch of nonsense. There is a difference between tough love, advice, and being an *kitten*.

I'm 29, I've got a huge support group (MFP) who some are knowledgeable and others not so much. I use my own common sense and research (Never go by one person's opinion always research and get at least 3 documentations stating something) to set my goals.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So when you come to a fitness site ranting and raving, "I DON'T WANNA LIFT!", well you're in the wrong place. You should lift. You should run. You should ride a bike and swim in the ocean and climb mountains.

I don't agree here. Not everyone SHOULD lift, run, bike, swim, and climb. Not everyone who chooses not to do these things is just mediocre and lazy either. Everyone SHOULD move, but how each person exercises should be what works best for them.

I'm with the OP- being open-minded and respectful of each others' choices on how to lose weight (as long as it's not unhealthy) is important. Ask questions of people who disagree with you because you might actually learn something new.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I never, ever consider myself an expert. And I'm open to most any idea that someone wants to put forth.

Here is what I do know. This is a fitness site. It's focus is on calorie counting, proper nutrition and exercise. There's a whole lot we can debate in there, but one thing is always true.

Any exercise is beneficial.

You should live your life in the best and biggest way possible.

You want to limit yourself? You don't want to find out what you're capable of? Fine. But don't tout it as a great plan. It's mediocrity. It's laziness and fear of the unknown.

Do the work, achieve your goals, post your success thread. Because actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.

I think I love you.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I don't agree here. Not everyone SHOULD lift, run, bike, swim, and climb. Not everyone who chooses not to do these things is just mediocre and lazy either. Everyone SHOULD move, but how each person exercises should be what works best for them.

I'm with the OP- being open-minded and respectful of each others' choices on how to lose weight (as long as it's not unhealthy) is important. Ask questions of people who disagree with you because you might actually learn something new.

I was using a bit of hyperbole to counter all the negativity. CLEARLY I'm not saying EVERYONE needs to swim in the ocean, I can't remember the last time I swam in the ocean. And I haven't ridden a bike in years.

Everyone can and should do whatever they want. But don't take a deuce all over someone else's exercise routine because it's not your own.

You don't have to lift if you don't want to. You don't have to run. You don't have to bike. But know that this IS a fitness site and if you want to loudly proclaim how opposed you are to any form of exercise you aren't going to get a positive response. Nor should you.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Everyone can and should do whatever they want. But don't take a deuce all over someone else's exercise routine because it's not your own.
    Agreed. And no one should crap on those who want to count housework or shopping as exercise either.
    You don't have to lift if you don't want to. You don't have to run. You don't have to bike. But know that this IS a fitness site and if you want to loudly proclaim how opposed you are to any form of exercise you aren't going to get a positive response. Nor should you.
    Agreed.