Increase Protein...

Options
2»

Replies

• justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, because I had the same question. I have a hard time meeting me protein intake for the day as well.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I was told I need to boost the heck out of my protein the other day, so I did some stalking of high protein food diaries. Here's what I found:

Common factors
    Chicken - People eat the hell out of some chicken breasts and thighs. It's surprising they don't cluck.
    Beef - Be it burgers or steaks or meatloaf, most people are hitting beef pretty strong.
    Salmon - I'm going to call this the more flavorful alternative to tuna. A few people are into it, but not everyone.
    Pork - Not much bacon to be seen. Mostly different varieties of chops and such. Most people had some though.
    Sausage - Comparing standard ball park beef hot dogs to sausage is like night and day. This was a real eye opener for me.
    Turkey - Plenty of them are doing turkey slices on sandwiches.
    Eggs - The other end of the chicken. Wow, that's a lot of chickens that won't be born. Almost everybody is eating these on the daily.
    Milk - How else to drink a protein shake, than with more protein? If you do powder you're doing milk, as far as I can see.
    Cheese - The same here. Most people are eating a little cheese every day.
    Peanut Butter - I'm possibly the only person here who's not eating some peanut butter daily.

Supplements
    Personally, I'm using Pure Protein - High Protein Bars. It's like I get to eat a free candy bar and not feel guilty about it. They taste pretty good too. Here's the list of what others are eating:

Balance Bar High Protein - Yogurt Honey Peanut
    Simple Truth - Double Chocolate Protein Bar
    Pure Protein Corrected - Whey Protein
    Pure Protein - High Protein Bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter
    Nature Valley Protein Bar - Peanut, Almond & Dark Chocolate
    Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Meal Replacement Bar - Super Cookie Crunch
    Eas Myoplex - 100% Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate
    Optimum Nutrition - Pro Complex Protein Powder
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey - French Vanilla Creme
    Optimum Nutrition - Whey Protein, Gold Standard 100%, Double Rich Chocolate
    Trutein - Cinnabun Protein Powder
    Luna (of various types)

The following items are things that really surprised me for their protein content. A couple were my own brainstorms, but most are from looking at everyone's diaries.

Surprises
    Lentil soup - Surprisingly low calorie to protein rate. I'd have never thought of lentil soup as a big protein food. Now I do.
    Peanut Butter - I may keep a jar of this stuff at work. It might be the best price per gram, depending on various factors.
    Chinese buffet - Just go with the meat dishes; particularly the ones that aren't breaded and doused in sweet sauces.
    Sushi buffet - Hit the sushi buffet. Sushi is really good on the protein scale. Sashimi is da bomb.
    GREEK Yogurt - Look into Walmart plain if you're looking for an insane calorie to protein ratio.
    Cottage Cheese - I wouldn't have thought about it, but it's pretty high protein.
    Brussel sprouts/brocoli/coliflower/spinach - There are a bunch of low calorie, high protein, highly filling veggies out there..
    Yuba noodles (soy skin noodles) - Straight up soy protein noodles. I have no idea how they taste.
    Shrimp - Another super high protein from the sea. I didn't think they'd be that high.
    Tuna lite - Yep, the old bodybuilder standard. If you stay at a can a day you'll never get problems with mercury poisoning.
    Starbucks - Yes, starbucks latte's are surprisingly high protein. Check their website and figure out what's good.
    Chipotle - I really didn't expect to see a burrito shop popping crazy protein. The capicola burrito bowls have surprised me.
    Hormel turkey Chili - Cheap? Yes. Tasty? Yes. Low on calories? Yes. High on protein? YES! I didn't think Hormel could do that.
    Tilapia - If you're worried about mercury poisoning then tilapia is a nice alternative to tuna, this is on the lower levels of fish.

Edit: Also, have some math on protein vs. calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, eggs(I personally eat atleast 10 a day(8-9 whites, 1-2 yokes), beef, pork,chicken(breast,thighs),turkey , lamb, beans, lentils, nuts(though pretty calorie dence), yoghurts
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    I am intolerant to lots of foods, and many protein powders make me feel bleh.

I am a vegetarian, and have had trouble getting enough protein, but I have met my protein goals daily by using Jay Robb's Egg White protein powder (vanilla is my favorite), or Rainbow Light's Protein Energizer, in 1/2 a cup of almond milk, or 2% milk.

I drink 1 scoop before each meal.

I also love Quest bars. They have carbs, but it is from the fiber.

Pumpkin seeds are surprisingly high in protein, too, I find.

Hope this helps!
  • elana87
    elana87 Posts: 5
    Options
    Chances are, you don't NEED to take a protein supplement. I'm always a fan of food over supplements. Eggs are great snacks, as are nuts (though, obviously, in small portions). Cottage cheese, yogurt, and milk are all good options as well. Personally, my favorite snack is just a spoon full of peanut butter and some milk to wash it down. Chicken and legumes are also really good ways to increase your protein, and both are super versatile and can be thrown in with salads or stir fries. Also vegetables with hummus make for a good snack.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have a lot of food sensitivity issues as well and have had luck with Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey protein powder. Some of the protein in it does come from soy though...in some forms I am sensitive to soy but this doesn't really bother me.

My main staples are the protein powder, cottage cheese, string cheese, lean meat. Also don't discount sources of protein like beans even though they are also high in carbs. Try roasting some chick peas for a yummy snack that is full of protein and fiber!
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I have a problem with muscle atrophy and was ordered to begin taking extra protein as part of my long term treatment. I use EAS soy protein 3 times a day. It's quite cheap compared to some of the others out there and has nothing but good in it. You can buy it in small or large canisters and can mix it with either milk or water. (I prefer milk, but water wasn't totally horrible)
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use interACTIVE nutrition's ISOWhey Breezer brand protein powders. Mix 1 scoop with 2 cups of water and it gives me 20g protein, 1g carb, and 90 cal. I have the iced tea flavour now (yum!) and next I will be trying to mango/pineapple/peach whatever flavour it was :) (Found at Popeye's)