diet/zero/free drinks

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
I'm addicted to Cherry Coke, Dr Pepper etc but HATE diet versions of coke. I have found a love for Sprite zero or 7up free, haven't seen a Dr Pepper zero for ages :(

Is it ok for my to drink these?

Replies

• rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There is now a Dr. Pepper Ten (10 calories). Also, if you like Sprite Zero, you might like Fresca. It has a sprite-like taste with no calories or caffeine, but no diet aftertaste.
  • debrag12
    Options
    I'm in the UK so they prob aren't over here :(
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Some will say yes, some will say no but at the end of the day I think the decision lies within yourself.

I suggest you do a search on "phenylalanine". Some say that it is really bad for you - in fact I know of someone who was getting heaps of headaches then on the suggestion of her Doctor, she stopped drinking the diet drinks and she hasn't felt better. She did have one more drink though, got a migraine straight away and hasn't touched the stuff since, so I believe. The articles I read weren't conclusive so I weighed up the fact that I hate water; I have an annoying sweet tooth that I would rather not throw calories at; the last time I cut out diet drinks I drank normal soda and put on weight; and I don't appear to have any debilitating side effects. So my choice has been to continue drinking diet drinks. My family are okay with my choice, but my sister-in-law is not.

Good luck!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I use to drink diet soda, I was 6 can of diet coke aday girl, I got told they were really bad for you so i did some diging around and found out there were

I drop to one can of normal coke for about 2 years, then went cut it out all together, not had coke for almost a year :smile:

do some reseach and then make you own choice:smile:

quote:"If you did have a million-dollar racehorse, would you let him stay up half the night drinking coffee and booze, smoking cigarettes and eating junk food?" "Would you treat your 10-dollar dog or your 5-dollar cat that way? What about your billion-dollar body?"

do some reseach and then make you own choice:smile:

anyone can add me
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a fan of Pepsi Next.

60 calories and no diet after-taste because it doesn't contain aspertame.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    DITE SODA IS DE DEBIL!!! Just kidding. I think it's fine.
  • Kristineevans1
    Kristineevans1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the ok vs evil side but you can get diet cherry coke I really like it and will save a shed load of cals if you can convert x
  • debrag12
    Options
    I don't drink it everyday thankfully

Is it like Pepsi Max I hate that stuff.
  • ewanlovett
    ewanlovett Posts: 1
    Options
    Its funny - I've always known in my heart of hearts that diet drinks are bad for us - but kind of pleaded ignorance. I think a bit like the Marlboro Man in the 1970s!!
    It wasn't until someone told me that the chemicals in the diet soda are actually inhibiting weight loss that I decided to try removing it from my diet. I've started drinking flavoured mineral water and plain water, and the results have been good (though not dramatic) - easier to lose weight, and I know that I'm doing my body less harm now.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Some will say yes, some will say no but at the end of the day I think the decision lies within yourself.

I suggest you do a search on "phenylalanine". Some say that it is really bad for you - in fact I know of someone who was getting heaps of headaches then on the suggestion of her Doctor, she stopped drinking the diet drinks and she hasn't felt better. She did have one more drink though, got a migraine straight away and hasn't touched the stuff since, so I believe. The articles I read weren't conclusive so I weighed up the fact that I hate water; I have an annoying sweet tooth that I would rather not throw calories at; the last time I cut out diet drinks I drank normal soda and put on weight; and I don't appear to have any debilitating side effects. So my choice has been to continue drinking diet drinks. My family are okay with my choice, but my sister-in-law is not.

Good luck!

phenylalanine is also found in milk, meat and eggs. I don't have PKU so I 'should' be fine.
  • becky2time
    becky2time Posts: 32
    Options
    I stopped drinking all that stuff and coffee too. I feel so much better only drinking water and one VitaminWater a day. All that stuff has a lot of toxins in it and makes your liver work twice as hard, and I have found it slows down the weight loss process.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Or you can drink water instead
  • debrag12
    Options
    I drink plenty of water a day and only coffee when I'm on a night shift and falling a sleep.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Is it like Pepsi Max I hate that stuff.

No, not like Pepsi Max.

Pepsi Next has Splenda, and Sugar.. so it actually tastes like a real soda, but only 60 calories and 15 grams of sugar.
  • MarkyMark_
    MarkyMark_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had some joint pains and did a little online research on the subject, it horrified me what turned up regarding diet soft drinks. The artificial sweeteners apparently cause no end of bad things to happen to your body so I have stopped drinking the diet drinks. My joints feel so much better now and I don't seem to get so many "hunger pangs", maybe it's all in the mind but it's working for me. In my moments of weakness I use Soda Water (non sugar ladened) with lime or lemon juice as a substitute for for Diet 7 up, with plenty of ice it even tastes OK as a vodka mix!

As you say, at the end of the day the choice is your own.

Good Luck!

:smile:
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke. I can't stand the taste of normal Coke, but I love the diet version! :)
    If I have a soft drink, it has to be diet. Sugar gives me a headache and makes me sick, so I try to limit my intake. Sweeteners have no negative effects on me personally!

If you wanna research, make sure the studies you find are good quality, and compare different perspectives to make your own desicion. Use Google Scholar!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/4/721.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0278691585901474

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.2910320510/abstract
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    I was reading a new study that came out today...or yesterday mayhaps....which says that both sugar drinks and sugar free (artificially sweetened) drinks increase your risk of type II diabetes...just sayin.....
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation.

This, basically :)
  • Jmeisalive
    Jmeisalive Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How does it slow down the weight loss process???