"Lifting Heavy". What does that really mean for women?

Options

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    What's a good rep range for 3 lb dumbbells?
  • cald0nia
    cald0nia Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Even in men, I prefer, a slim, trim, compact build, not someone who looks muscle-bound. As a woman it's not the look to which I aspire.

Hi Mfpcopine - wondered when we'd see you in here.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    What's a good rep range for 3 lb dumbbells?

Really?
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This thread has answered lots of questions I've had about this subject. Thanks for all the great info. I am excited to start lifting. :)
  • crissykclai
    crissykclai Posts: 20
    Options
    This is great info. Thank you!
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read more thoroughly later. :smile:
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me. I have had a bad left knee since I was 16. A physio told me recently that it is a patella that doesn't run smoothly but grates to one side. It flares up now and again, and then improves, but always feels vulnerable. This puts me off any form of squatting. I have started dumbbells for my arm definition but would like to squat with them and build up the weight. I don't want to go to a gym. Is it possible to do this with a crap knee? I am 63.

Go to Stumptuous Dot Com.

Find the post called "Lurn to Squat Good E-Zy" (I think it's in the technique section; her sense of humour can be a little goofy.)
    Watch all the videos and find a convenient object to hang on to for your first attempts.

I have traumatic osteoarthritis in my left knee from a childhood injury (I was seven), and after three months, I'm **almost** graduated to using the box and not the support strut. Just be patient and only do a few at a time (I do sets of 5 with 15 seconds of walking it out in place between) to start until you get a feel for the movement. Be patient with yourself and the range of motion will come in time.

If this 39 year old broken, arthritic woman who couldn't even bend her knees enough to sit without falling into the chair can do it, anybody can! *lol*

Hope that helps!!

=Betty=
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH!! for starting this thread. I am waiting for a copy of NROLFW from my library so I can read it and get a 'grip' on the lifting in order to be ready to start when I'm done with Insanity...1 month and 5 days left!!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You seem very knowledgeable, so let me ask this. I have been using dumbbells for about a month now. I am pleased with the results so far. I seem to be building some strength and, since I am eating in a deficient, am losing fat that is covering my newly stronger muscles.

I have a set of 14" dumbbell bars, they weigh 4 lb. I have a set of 2.5 cap plates and 5lb cap plates for each dumbbell. These cost me $55, and I do not have the money to invest in more right now, and can do 12-15 reps fairly easily on most of my moves. My question is, will doing higher reps with this max weight build strength and help me get lean until I can purchase more weight plates (or maybe even a bar), or do I really need to scrimp and save and try to get more plates asap?

Google "Convict Conditioning" for some examples of body weight exercises that you do not need specific equipment for.

Thank you so much! I will check that out. I have been doing some Jillian Michaels stuff on my between lifting days, would things like 30 DS and Rin30 be considered body weight? There are some moves of hers that require hand weights, but not many. I am also working toward getting Insanity program or P90X, not sure which yet.

Again, I really appreciate your help!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You seem very knowledgeable, so let me ask this. I have been using dumbbells for about a month now. I am pleased with the results so far. I seem to be building some strength and, since I am eating in a deficient, am losing fat that is covering my newly stronger muscles.

I have a set of 14" dumbbell bars, they weigh 4 lb. I have a set of 2.5 cap plates and 5lb cap plates for each dumbbell. These cost me $55, and I do not have the money to invest in more right now, and can do 12-15 reps fairly easily on most of my moves. My question is, will doing higher reps with this max weight build strength and help me get lean until I can purchase more weight plates (or maybe even a bar), or do I really need to scrimp and save and try to get more plates asap?

Google "Convict Conditioning" for some examples of body weight exercises that you do not need specific equipment for.

Thank you so much! I will check that out. I have been doing some Jillian Michaels stuff on my between lifting days, would things like 30 DS and Rin30 be considered body weight? There are some moves of hers that require hand weights, but not many. I am also working toward getting Insanity program or P90X, not sure which yet.

Again, I really appreciate your help!

They would not be considered 'heavy lifting' as the reps are too high. You should be able to use your dumbbells for some exercises for a short while. The Convict Conditioning is good as it gives ways to make the exercises harder to you tax your muscles. What you need is what is called progressive loading - basically making it harder each time to stimulate the muscle. You can do this by increasing reps (although if you increase them too much it becomes endurance) or by increasing the weight.

This write up I did here may help with some of the basic explanations.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    A question for those squatting much more than 100 pounds: Are you squatting to parallel, or doing partial squats? I'm not wanting to debate the merits of either, just curious.

Just below parallel with 242 lbs for reps. When you get lifting heavier warming up really really helps as does taking the appropriate rest between sets...
  • majobajo
    majobajo Posts: 5
    Options
    How many times a week is a good HL schedule for a begginer, guys? :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    BUMP!

This is a video of me doing some lifting in case anyone is interested...

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakingMadGymAddict/posts/481700358568853

Have an awesome day! xXx

You rock.
  • joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I am doing it correctly.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

This is a video of me doing some lifting in case anyone is interested...

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakingMadGymAddict/posts/481700358568853

Have an awesome day! xXx

You rock.

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!!!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'll bite.

When I started Crossfit, I was using just the bar to get my form right. I was battling a knee injury so I took it easy at first. For some of my lifts, I stuck with the women's 35# bar (like snatches). For others, I increased quickly (like power cleans). I started lifting in December 2012. I had to take a few weeks off in January for a knee surgery, but I started back as soon as I could with a giant knee brace to keep my leg straight while I lifted.

In December, I was using between 35# and 55# for all of the following lifts (except deadlift, which started at 120lbs). Here are my current PR's:

Deadlift: 135# (I have not attempted a 1RM deadlift since January, so I can't say this is accurate anymore)
    Strict Press: 65# (Also have not attempted this since February)
    Thruster: 65# (Knee injury still prevents me from doing this move with full squat/extension)
    Snatch: 65#
    Power Clean: 100#
    Hang Clean: 85#
    Push Press: 90#
    Clean & Jerk: 100#
    Clean & Press: 90#

In the past almost 5 months, I have increased my weight by 100% on a lot of my lifts

Weight:
    December 2012: 155lbs
    May 2013: 149.4

December 2012: 33% body fat (according to my work physical)
    May 2013: 24.6% body fat.

I was starting to get a little too full for my size 10's in December. Yesterday, they were sagging off my hips by mid-afternoon.

Summary: Lifting "heavy" has done nothing but good things for me... reducing body fat, increasing my functional strength (for my job), and aiding tremendously in my weight loss when mixed with high-intensity interval training.

Do it.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've helped two "scared of lifting" women actually get into doing it and they have gotten great results. The first girl was gung-ho, and really was trying to "overdo" it. I had to tone down what she was wanting to do...she was immediately reading every single bodybuilding site and wanting to incorporate all sorts of exercises into a routine that wouldn't give her much real help and instead would of simply had her "overtraining" her muscles.

It took me a good week to convince her that for the initial 6-12 months she didn't need to anything other than compound exercises...Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Shoulder press, Back Rows, and Pullups (hers were assisted on a pullup machine at first, but not anymore).

The other girl I helped was really stand-off ish on everything. She had never done any form of sports, never done anything other than walking and the occasional treadmill. Since she was so new to physical fitness in general, I did not start her off trying to a 6-8 rep max setup...I knew it would make her extremely sore and she wouldn't continue with it. Instead for the first couple of months I had her doing a 12-15 rep max with very light weights. She was still sore, but it was a much easier concept for her to consider it "light lifting"....

Once she had been doing a 12-15 rep weight schedule for 2 months, we dropped that to a 6-8 rep max schedule. She was already accustomed to all the exercises, had confidence in them, wasn't a "newbie" in the gym anymore and the transition wasn't complicated and she wasn't afraid of it by then. I could have pushed both of them to a 5-6 rep max, but honestly I don't think they needed it, both got outstanding results on a 6-8 rep max schedule.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Full body workout 3 x a week is generally ideal.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Full body workout 3 x a week is generally ideal.

^ THIS.

Also, take the time to watch some "proper form" videos before you start. Always ensure that whatever exercises you are doing them you are utilizing good form. Even if it means you don't make "weight" gains for long periods of time. Going to a heavier weight and doing poor form is how alot of people end up in injury.