How do I tell my family??

13»

Replies

• graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Congrats on 22 pounds! I agree with a previous poster about being able to do that while in college, very impressive.

People are just starting to notice that I've lost some weight and asking about it (which is actually annoying to me...but that's another story/post :tongue: ) I've noticed that they only started to mention it when I wore things that actually fit. Up until recently I've been wearing the same clothes as close to 40lbs ago--when I do it doesn't look as if I've actually lost much weight. Could that have been part of it when you were home visiting?

Keep up the great work, you should be very proud! :flowerforyou:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Don't worry for some people it takes more then a 20 lbs. lose to make a difference. The first time someone commented on my weight lose. I was at the 30 lbs. mark. I'm only 5'1 by the way.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    I didn't read all the comments but hopefully someone else has pointed this out. They might not want to comment on your weight out of politeness. I know I personally don't comment on someone's weight unless they have stated they are losing weight or trying to.

You don't want to comment on how someone look so much better now if they haven't really lost anything.

Just a thought.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Took 5lbs for family to notice
    Took 15 for close friends to notice.

But I've been losing inches too so...

Took my neighbors almost IMMEDIATELY to notice
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY! This was my first every post om MFP, and I'm now feeling really motivated again and have really remembered why I wanted to lose weight in the first place- to be healthy and happy within myself, not for others to comment on.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    First of all, great job on the weight loss! Don't worry about your family not noticing.They may be in shock from it. It's up to how comfortable you are with telling them you're trying to lose weight and how you think they'd handle it. Keep up the amazing work!

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am happy to be able to support others in their efforts as well as get all the support I can get.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Took 5lbs for family to notice
    Took 15 for close friends to notice.

But I've been losing inches too so...

Took my neighbors almost IMMEDIATELY to notice

Hahahaha. This gives new meaning to the ongoing quarrel in my house of "what would the neighbors think?", "they don't notice us", "they have their own lives", "we look at them, they must watch us", etc..etc...etc.... So yeah, neighbors. The most supersonic group of acquantainces we have.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    First of all, great job on the weight loss! Don't worry about your family not noticing.They may be in shock from it. It's up to how comfortable you are with telling them you're trying to lose weight and how you think they'd handle it. Keep up the amazing work!

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am happy to be able to support others in their efforts as well as get all the support I can get.

This is kind of what I read between the lines too. That they are taking their cue from OP who is not saying anything and out of respect are keeping their mouths shut inferring she isn't ready to talk about it yet. If this is the case I find it an incredibly supportive and disciplined stance, and I'd appreciate it in my circle, so yeah, I think it's all good OP.
  • missystika
    missystika Posts: 1
    Dont let them discourage you just like you thaught it might be weird to tell them they might think the same they love and support you and probally noticed but didnt want to embares or offend yoy however great job on the weight loss
  • ijavagypsy
    ijavagypsy Posts: 109 Member
    Did you ever think that your family is just happy to see you and that they don't really notice the absence or presence of weight?
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Just lose weight for yourself....you will feel better physically and boost your confidence and self esteem.. it's all ABOUT YOU!:wink:
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Depending on how overweight you are, it may take more weight comig off before people see that you've lost weight. However, you may start getting comments asking if you've changed your hair or glasses or something else. People will notice a change not just in your appearance but your attitude.

Don't get discouraged. Also, there is a hesitation about asking if you've lost weight. Its a sensitive topic.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    to repeat what's been said (....or to verify that it's true) I literally posted a topic in the forums asking that exact question...when do people start to notice.....I've lost 22 and no one can tell but me....I consistently heard 30+ so my theory is do it for you and WHEN they start noticing you are already in an amazing place with your weight loss/fitness journey :) Keep it up!