You're getting too thin comments?

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    I have had people looking at me and asking 'are you going to lose any more' or. 'How long are you going to keep going for? '
    I am still technically just overweight, so yes, I am going to keep going! I want to be in the mid range of healthy BMI.
    I have come down from obese so I suppose it must be a bit of a shock for some people, although I was slim when I was younger.
    I am now working on getting strong and fit and shapely. I am 63 !:laugh: :laugh: :blushing:
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My brother and mum told me I looked like a drug addict once at my lowest weight of 53kgs at 5'3. Unfortunately (but also fortunately) I lose weight off my arms first and my upper body gets really really skinny but my *kitten* and thighs don't get the memo.

So even though I knew my arms were too skinny, I needed to keep exercising to burn the bottom half off and we all know you can't spot train. but hey, now I know I'd rather my arms be too skinny and my upper half be toned than to give up and be overweight like I am now. What I wouldn't do to go back to 58kgs where I thought I'd let myself go and shake myself and say 'you are 2kgs off perfect! It's a couple weeks of exercising hard and eating well' instead of letting myself get to 67kgs and hating my body again.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I get it from some people and I'm still over 200 at only 5'3". It's really just people reacting to the change. You no longer look like they expect so you're "too thin".
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just got that comment from my overweight co-workers. Told me there is such a thing as too thin....then looked at me knowingly.

One of them told me that I was starting to look malnourished.

I'm not too thin by any measure! I look great and not in the least malnourished. Grrrr. It makes me wonder if these folks have ever seen anyone who is truly malnourished/too thin in their lives. I have and trust me, its no laughing matter.

But they are used to seeing the old me, 25-30lbs ago. And they're obese...morbidly so. I dont go around telling them they're too fat and they look unhealthy. How rude would that be??? Why do they think it is ok to do the same?

I do have one more pet peeve. A while ago, all us girls were at lunch and a co-worker mentioned that she would like to lose some weight. As if on queue, another co-worker chimed in 'Are you kidding? Youre a stick!'

The reality was that she could actually stand to lose about thirty pounds. Rather than reassuring her with lies, why not encourage her and be supportive and say something like 'Wow, I would love to lose weight as well.' or 'way to go!' I remember people telling me 45 pounds ago that i didnt need to lose any weight.

Yes, I did!
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wondering if anyone else has dealt with the issue of people saying you are too thin. I'm right smack in the middle of my BMI and have a few people tell me I have lost too much weight. Mind you, I know my arms look puny but the rest of me is fine!:laugh:

I'm in the middle of my BMI as well but think id look better after losing a few pounds im quite pear shaped so would like to have more of a even body shape.but a lot of my friends and family are like stop losing weight!erm guys im not thin lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    better then too fat
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I was actually stupid enough to believe my friends when they said that - and I gained weight. Wish I hadn't bothered. Well I'm on my way to slim again and I'll just have to suck it up when they start on the 'oh go ons', 'you're thin enough'...

Nicest bunch of girls you could ever meet in your life. Really. Love the bones of each and every one of them... but they're all overweight. Beautiful, but still overweight.

I guess we judge others by our own standards.
  • cognita
    Options
    I so glad to see this post!
    I'm 5'5 and 128ish lbs. my goal is 120 but I started at 149lbs, not a sigificant Amount of weight in comparison to some of The incredible people on here, but I consistently get people telling me that I need to stop, I'm going too far etc. I'm a healthy bmi! I think that a lot of the comments are due to me drinking a lot less though - I used to party a lot and drink even more. I had a horrible realisation that almost all my social activity revolved around drinking, so I have found that I have been less social in terms of those events. I get the feeling that a lot of my drinking buddies make these comments because they think I'm boring and having no fun now, totally not true because I am miles happier - it's hard for old friends to accept change I guess.

My mother often tells me to 'not go anorexic on us' but i sort of understand that because she lives almost 300 miles away and last saw me when I was 20lbs heavier! She's just caring I think, unlike others who are just projecting their own insecurities on us :)
  • mikesgirl71
    mikesgirl71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This makes me a little crazy too. And yes, grandma is the worst. But I'm 5'10" and still around 190 lbs. So people don't need to ask ME if I'm going to blow away. LOL Cracks me up :)
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My father was on the line of being obese and lost 30 pounds setting him in the mid-overweight category and he's been told that he should stop losing weight since he's looking too thin. He bites his tongue so he doesn't respond "Shut up, I'm still considered overweight!"
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think people say that because they see it as a compliment. Most would LOVE to be told their weight was perfect, that they didn't need to lose any more (or any). Or that they are 'thin' or 'too skinny'. Take it as a compliment if you can. :smile:
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Someone told me I need to eat a few doughnuts. And two girls at work yesterday told me I need to gain weight as I'm looking too thin. No disrespect but I'm not taking advice from people who give up their diets after two weeks. I'm within my healthy weight/BMI and I'm happy how I am.
  • reneeopruitt
    reneeopruitt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had someone say "you look like you could blow away" at 210 .. yeah right!! Anyway ... I tell people I still have 60 pounds to loose when they ask how much more I want to loose. At 150 I'll be right at my recommended weight and people say "Oh no! You don't need to loose that much more!" Really, I do!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I would love to deal with that "issue" of being called too thin. :)
    I hate it -_-
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I once actually flew away in the wind. Wind speeds close to 100 MPH up on Long's Peak Colorado. Me at around 90 pounds. I went about 10 feet before crashing! Good thing it wasn't near a cliff.

1269259657_omg_cat_zps2b16138c.gif
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one!
    And I do wonder if our idea of what is a normal size has changed too. After all, most of the general population is overweight to some degree. Being overweight is starting to become normal!
    yes I agree.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    haven't heard that one yet. le sigh. hahaha. :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My dad flip flops between "you are disappearing" and "you are going to look like a man"

which is it Dad?

Maybe he thinks you look like the Invisible Man?
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just lift my shirt and show them "muh belly"....
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I wondering if anyone else has dealt with the issue of people saying you are too thin. I'm right smack in the middle of my BMI and have a few people tell me I have lost too much weight. Mind you, I know my arms look puny but the rest of me is fine!:laugh:

I get it all the time. Just ignore them.