Anyone have tried crossfit??

Options

Replies

• jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing, it's the only exercise I've ever enjoyed and stuck at!
    You don't need to go to a crossfit box, you can do the majority of workouts (wod's) in your usual gym. Or things like burpees and squats you can do at home. Have fun!

Thanks!!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do Crossfit. However, I cannot justify the cost, even if it were only $100 per month vs $240. $240 is absolutely outrageous and there's no way I would pay that.

Then again, my home workouts are free, and I've had amazing results. Between the DVDs and my free weights, I have maybe a one time total of $250 invested into everything.

The only thing that Crossfit would give me that I don't have now would be the fun factor of doing it with a group of people.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want to do it alone - just keep in mind that Crossfit Boxes are normally way more expensive than a normal gym membership.

I tried some crossfit stuff earlier this year. The WODs took me 20mins or less each morning. It was enjoyable and fun. But, I like running and lifting better.

I don't think there are any reasons not to try it. Just make sure if you're going to start doing some olympic lifts like that that you get a good coach or someone who knows what they are doing and won't make you do too much too soon.

It's intense.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit last January and I think it is great. After doing cardio workouts for years and being kind of stuck, Crossfit really has helped me gain strength and I've seen more changes in my body in the last few months than I did in the last few years. If you have the money to invest in even a few months to learn the movements I think it is worth it. I am doing it on my own at home now as I injured my hand and it is healing slowly. Even though I went to Crossfit and they helped me modify movements for my hand, I was still doing too much and now just focusing on legs and abs at home while I heal. Speaking of abs, mine are stronger than ever!

I would say if you do it, don't be afraid to set some limits for yourself if you are feeling the workouts are too much. Crossfit will push you hard and I think sometimes too much in the beginning so don't be afraid to pull back. I agree with other people that $240 seems really high though. Good luck with whatever you try.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you're trying to save money, CrossFit is not the place to look. My advice... as a person who CrossFits and who has had to go to a "regular" gym for workouts because of no access to a CrossFit gym... pick up a strength training program, stick with it for 8 weeks, do a little cardio here and there, you'll fall in love with weights and your body, and your results will probably be better than what you see in 8 weeks of CrossFit (3 workouts per week is pretty typical just starting out).

AND HOLY ****, $240 a month?!?!?!?!?! I have gone to some of the same boxes as CrossFit Games competitors, like boxes that they've owned, and I have never paid more than $160 a month and that is for a box in downtown Cleveland... and I get to workout as long as I want, whenever I want essentially.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month for an excellent gym, and $100 a month for Krav Maga. Combining these two, I have the fitness of an upper level crossfitter. I would never pay $240 for a fad exercise routine.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month for an excellent gym, and $100 a month for Krav Maga. Combining these two, I have the fitness of an upper level crossfitter. I would never pay $240 for a fad exercise routine.

Some would still argue that you pay too much for your fitness. I know people who have the fitness of an upper level CrossFitter paying less than $50 a month. Just because something is popular and works for certain types of people, doesn't mean it should be dismissed as an overpriced "fad". Sign up for the CrossFit Games and let me know how it works out for ya!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hey guise, people in different areas sometimes pay more or less than other people based on supply and demand, convenience, market a saturation and other factors. The price that you pay for a particular good or service sometimes has no bearing on if another person is paying a fair price or not.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Some would still argue that you pay too much for your fitness. I know people who have the fitness of an upper level CrossFitter paying less than $50 a month. Just because something is popular and works for certain types of people, doesn't mean it should be dismissed as an overpriced "fad". Sign up for the CrossFit Games and let me know how it works out for ya!

Krav Maga is a martial art/self defense that has a ridiculously difficult workout portion. So I don't really classify it as fitness, as I do a combat system. $100 dollars is WELL WORTH a martial art. So technically, I pay $10 a month.

Oh and I have participated in bring a guest crossfit events at my local crossfitHD, and I hang with the near upper tier. The top tier of course, has me beat... but im ok with that. Most never reach that level. That said.... if crossfit was cheaper, I would pay for it. Also, your muscles are fantastic. I'm glad crossfit works for you.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a month I love it...

it is more expensive than other places.. but at a regular gym you don't have a coach there, you don't have pre-planned workouts,

Oh and everyone who posted in this thread be ready to get spammed and "warned" about the dangers of Crossfit by "Health_Gal"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a month I love it...

it is more expensive than other places.. but at a regular gym you don't have a coach there, you don't have pre-planned workouts,

Oh and everyone who posted in this thread be ready to get spammed and "warned" about the dangers of Crossfit by "Health_Gal"

Already got mine from an earlier topic.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After being pregnant 4 years in a row, I decided that 2013 would be a year I dedicate to bettering myself, physically and mentally. I had been dealing with some post partum depression and decided to give crossfit a go this past January. There hasn't been a single day go by that I'm not super excited to workout. I love my box. The people there are like family. They are there to encourage you, celebrate and help you thru your fitness journey. Its worth every single penny. While some boxes are a little more pricey than others, I pay $100/mo. A lot of places will let you do a free class or a free trial week. I know my box does community wods on Saturdays where you can come and workout for free. Its really lots of fun = ) Check it out and see if its something you would like.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I started at the box I am currently working out at about 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it! I had tried a promotion at a different box a few months ago and the difference between the two is night and day. The point? Do your homework...find a box that focuses on technique, scaling exercises to your ability, and giving you the support you need to progress on your terms. I found none of those things at the first CF gym I tried but I'm certain that the box I'm at now will be key in helping me acheive my current fitness goals.

Best of luck to you!!
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options

Who's paying $240?! Certainly not me! And not anyone that I know of who CrossFits. I pay $99/month for unlimited.

As for the OP, I've been CrossFitting since February 11th. It has worked extremely well for me and I intend to keep with it. Dropped my globo-gym membership (I hadn't been there in years) and left bootcamp (which didn't give me results). I have a great trainer and supportive box community that I wouldn't trade for the world.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing, it's the only exercise I've ever enjoyed and stuck at!
    You don't need to go to a crossfit box, you can do the majority of workouts (wod's) in your usual gym. Or things like burpees and squats you can do at home. Have fun!

This ^^^^^^
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I’m considering this also, In my area they want me to come in for a fitness test which i will do this week. I assume "box" means the location or just another word for gym? or does it mean your time slot or group that you work out with?

Also, why do I read that this has a "cult feel" to it? Is this a religious type thing? I dont like hearing that....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I’m considering this also, In my area they want me to come in for a fitness test which i will do this week. I assume "box" means the location or just another word for gym? or does it mean your time slot or group that you work out with?

Also, why do I read that this has a "cult feel" to it? Is this a religious type thing? I dont like hearing that....

The box is the gym.

I don't find it any more cult like than anything else. You always have people who are really enthusiastic about stuff and the rest who just enjoy it. Running, bodybuilding, cycling and any number of other sports have been accused of having a cult like atmosphere. Yes, there are some over zealous people but my experience has not been cult like.
  • jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want to do it alone - just keep in mind that Crossfit Boxes are normally way more expensive than a normal gym membership.

I tried some crossfit stuff earlier this year. The WODs took me 20mins or less each morning. It was enjoyable and fun. But, I like running and lifting better.

I don't think there are any reasons not to try it. Just make sure if you're going to start doing some olympic lifts like that that you get a good coach or someone who knows what they are doing and won't make you do too much too soon.

It's intense.

Yes!! Intense workout is what I'm looking for!