Exercising alone vs with a companion

Options
When people ask me about what I do for exercise and I tell them that I go on very long walks as well as go to the gym, on many occasions the response I get is "Hey cool! We should walk together" or "Let's go to the gym together sometime!".
Of course I don't tell them this, but for me...exercising is very therapeutic and I like to be alone and listen to my music and just think or zone out even. I also like to go my own pace.
I most certainly understand why people would want a exercise companion to keep themselves motivated, but I'm just a lone wolf in that department I guess.

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like it both ways. Love working out with my bestie, but I'm able to go faster when I'm alone. I only work out in the gym. I don't know if I would ever work out with someone I wasn't really close with...... Probably be awkward
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I dont exercise with anyone, but if I did it would only be with my husband, or if I had another best friend that was determined to get in shape as well. But I personally prefer going alone, so I dont have to keep up or slow down for another person.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like playing basketball, baseball, and football with my friends. But anytime i've relied on them to come to the gym with me they have never followed through. If I waited to go on their schedule i'd probably be over 400 pounds by now. Also having unreliable friends makes it a little harder in the fact you have no one to help check your form on new exercises. You can do it alone, but it is a lot tougher without a second set of eyes.

Going it alone is always better so long as you have headphones.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    completely agree with the OP. i like to go it alone. no one to hold me back, no feelings of self-consciousness for whatever reason (my own weird anxiety issues), i get to sort of fall into an active meditation zone... and just be with myself for awhile. i do not like having a companion, and haven't had one for years. aside from occasionally running with a family member here and there.
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I definitely like having someone with me to work out with! If I'm at the gym with someone, I usually stay longer and do more exercises like the weight machines, but if I'm alone, I'll usually just power through some cardio on the elliptical or the treadmill. I have a treadmill at home and of course I'm doing it alone, so it's nice to exercise with a friend every once and a while!
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I workout with my friends. I can push myself so much harder when lifting with a partner there to make sure you don't kill yourself.

On the other hand, I run alone. I love running alone. I've tried doing it with others, but I just like doing it alone better. Can go at my own pace, listen to music, and space out.
  • tlorance100
    tlorance100 Posts: 18
    Options
    I tend to work harder when I am by myself. I want to concentrate on what I'm doing, not hold a conversation.
  • LindseyMariePJ
    Options
    I definitely like exercising alone. I was working out with my best friend for a while but it's hard to focus with someone chirping and blabbering in my ear. I could barely catch my breath, much less try and keep a conversation, lol.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise alone, but I don't mind running with someone who can push me to run faster.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I find having someone along with me distracting and I like to listen to books when I run. If my son goes along it messes up my pace too because he's a foot taller than me. In the gym, I find myself socializing more than working out if I go with someone PLUS I've had those work-out partners in the past that always manage to talk me into leaving early, not doing enough reps, skipping it altogether, stopping for snacks after, etc., etc.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym because I like to be alone to work out and go at my own pace and not feel rushed because the next person needs the treadmill. My husband leaves me be by myself, he knows I like to be alone and quiet when I am exercising. Now when I do my walking and bike riding outside instead of on the machines, then my husband comes with me. I enjoy his company then, plus he can push me a little harder than if I was by myself. He is the only one I would go with though.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I walk alone. :smile: More seriously, to work out with someone else regularly requires organization, the same schedule, similar goals, similar levels of fitness, similar attitudes on challenging oneself. Dealing with the one person I can't avoid is more than enough.
  • amyylee_
    amyylee_ Posts: 12
    Options
    I definitely feel you on this one. I prefer to exercise alone, whether it's at the gym, outdoors, or whatever. :smile:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    it's good to have a spotter. but, i definitely prefer alone. i have more intensity, lest breaks and dont bullsh*t as much
  • zdaz
    zdaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's actually hard for me. I was an allstate athlete and then quite exercising altogether for five years. I didnt gain much weight but definitely lost muscle. It's hard for me alone. I'm used to a team work out, chatting with people...going to the gym and putting headphones in is weird.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've done both but prefer to exercise alone. To often when I start with a buddy they fall to the wayside and I lose motivation too. If I am doing it alone, then I am motivating myself because it is all for me. I started weight lifting and then my hubby joined me, but he really slowed me down. I was nice about it because I didn't want to discourage him, but I really liked lifting by myself and found I worked harder when I was alone. Eventually he dropped it altogether, to bad, but he just needs to find his own motivation. Occasionally I enjoy walking with another person, it's a nice change up.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I usually workout alone, early in the morning to start my day; helps me prepare physically and mentally for what lies ahead.

8488541.png
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I much prefer working out alone unless I'm with someone who does the same kind of workout I do and is equally serious about it. Training is not a social thing for me, nor do I want it to be. It is work, almost like a part-time job, and that's how I prefer to think of it. That's not to say I don't enjoy it. I definitely do. But I don't think I'd be as productive if I treated it like a time to spend socializing with people.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to have a buddy when warming up to a new gym/ workout but then I wish to be left alone. Blast the music and ignore everyone around me :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When I "work out" with a partner, it's always less intense because now it's a social thing. Without other people around, I can focus on the exercise. So, yeah... I prefer to go at it alone :)