The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Not really a "diet", but in highschool, I got so depressed about gaining weight that I starved myself for a couple months. I would eat one meal, breakfast, and starve the rest of the day. :/
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    Milk diet.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    The 1,200 calorie diet. Worked great initially. Lost weight, had lots of energy. Figured all these 'experts' on MFP were wrong and it really was the answer. I was pretty proud of myself for being able to sustain such a low calorie intake. I wasn't hungry. My body got used to subsisting on such a low calorie count that hunger really wasn't an issue for me. Then reality set in. I got tired and cranky. My workouts suffered to the point that what I was accomplishing was little more than going through the motions. My weight loss stalled. I couldn't possibly eat any less than I was and had no energy to workout any more than I was. I was eating between 800 - 1200 calories a day and not losing. Couldn't figure out where I'd gone wrong. So I started researching. Started paying attention to posts from some of the long term members on MFP who've had success themselves. Turns out, they really do know what they're talking about. Go figure.

Haha! Love it. I cannot do 1200. I've been eating between 1700 and 2000 for the past 3 weeks and lifting weights 2-3x per week and I'm losing now :)

ETA: I once bought these "metaslim" pills from Walmart that were supposed to help speed up your metabolism to lose weight... I had to stop taking them after a couple of days because I could feel my heart racing even when doing no exercise and was afraid of landing myself in the ER!
  • littlemissfrance
    Options
    I did the lemon juice diet as well over three days as I was not working. Drinking only the juice was fine. What got me to end this cleanse was the 1.5 litre of salty water I had to drink to "cleanse" my body. On the 3rd day I threw it all up as soon as I had drunk it!! And this is when I thought "What are you doing to yourself!"
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I ate only beans for a month yeah it worked but it wasnt pretty

Hahaha! I cannot stop laughing.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Keto. Absolutely moronic. I lost 90 lbs, and then gained 140 back just as fast.
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I tried Atkins, the Cabbage soup diet (blah), the grapefruit diet, the eat fruit for 3 days a week diet, the 3 day diet and the starvation diet along with several different types of weight loss pills including a pill that was a form of speed (perscribed by a doctor). But I think the worst one was the Herbal life diet. I used this crap for a month, ate absolutely no food and lost 20 lbs. As soon as I went off the diet I gained it all back plus some, mostly because I was pregnant....lol
    I will never, ever do a fad diet again especially since I realized how much better I feel by just eating healthy food and being active.
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago I tried the HCG diet. I was so bound and determined to take weight off that the thought of losing 40 pounds in a month sounded so great. I bought the drops at Wal-Mart, what a waste of $. After 2 weeks of taking the drops (that did absolutely nothing) and starving myself by eating only 500 calories a day, I decided to quit. I couldn't even walk up the stairs without feeling like i was going to pass out. That was by far the dumbest diet I have ever tried. Immediately after that, I joined MFP and have began a healthy journey to taking off the pounds and keeping them off.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did the the HCG but I did it with the drops and the 500cal. I totally agree it wrecked my metabolism for about a year.
    A couple of years ago I did the HCG diet. I had to inject myself daily with HCG and eat 500 calories a day. I lost a couple of pounds and I believe it wrecked my metabolism. It should be banned.
  • Janet4Art
    Janet4Art Posts: 7
    Options
    The most insane diet I ever tried was in the 1970s, maybe mid to late '70s. It was one of those diet plans people were selling from home. You couldn't get it in a store. A friend of mine started selling it and came to my home and gave me a little lecture on how to do it. It was insane. It was a fad. It was one of those diet drink diets. And when you did get to eat, it was weird.

ALSO, they said not to drink any water for a few days, just the two or three diet drinks, and no food at first either. I wound up so sick and weak the third day my husband had to miss work for half a day because I couldn't get out of bed to care for the kids. He was bringing me small drinks of water, often, and bites of food. I was finally able to get up and be okay, although weak the rest of that day.

A few weeks later a neighbor died while on that diet. It was so sad. Her little boy came home from kindergarten and found her on the laundry room floor. I felt so bad for that family. And my family was relieved I had gone off that diet. Never again have I been on one that crazy.
  • xtasa25
    xtasa25 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've never done any 'set' diet, but my family makes this soup/stew/concoction thing (it's a sort of cabbage made in boiled water and seasonings) and I went on a diet with that. It's delicious, but I managed to go for a few days only eating that, but eventually gave up. Firstly, eating only one thing, three times a day, and you'll never want to eat it again. Secondly, I love meat so I ALWAYS felt hungry even after eating. And lastly, it made me feel sick after day two.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    When I was in highschool I tried some pretty terrible diets, here are a few of my worst:

Celebrity slim, a two meal replacement shake diet, I ended up just gorging myself for dinner every night to compensate for how STARVING I was during the day. I still get emails from them asking me to sign up again to this day. Oh yeah, and I totally had to buy EVERYTHING to use the program; the books, the shaker cups, every flavor they carried, the special "plateau" breaker shakes.. I facepalm every time I think about how much money I wasted.

I did Tony Fergusson on and off for a while. I dropped a lot of weight initially but it was not sustainable. They don't take account of exercise in the program and for someone who was exercising daily (sometimes twice daily) it was like eating almost nothing. Not to mention the cost $4.25 each shake - what a rip off
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. Meal replacement bars. They made nice snacks.

2. The low fat craze did that for a long time and I gained a lot of weight.

3. The skip breakfast, eat a light lunch and binge at night diet. It was supposed to be skip breakfast, eat a light lunch, and a sensible dinner diet, but it did not work out that way.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think the dumbest thing I ever fell for was eating those stupid Hoodia pills. I am not even sure what exactly they were supposed to do, but all they actually did was lessen the weight of my wallet.
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    I took Hydroxycut for like 2 days and thought I was going to die. Waste of moneeeeey.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Lipotrim.......thought I was going to die :huh: lost 13lbs in 5 days.........put on 18lbs in 14 days :noway: :embarassed:

Awful diet!! My mother's hair fell out doing this.

I have tried silly diets in the past such as meal replacement shakes, or replacing two meals with breakfast cereal. Healthy eating is much more fun!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before with low-calorie, minimal-exercise diets, but that makes me tired, hungry, and in a perma-bad mood. It's SO much easier to eat normal amounts of healthy food + exercise.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast. Boke.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Did Herbalife, lost weight, missed eating solid food, gained everything back and plus some

I've taken Hydroxycut, OxyElitePro, Dexatrim, Hoodia pills, etc; lost weight, gained more back

48hr cleanse, pooped and starved for 3 days, lost 10, gained 15

very low cal, 200-500 cals a day consisting mostly of tomato, cottage cheese, rice cakes and diet coke; dropped a bunch of pounds, binged, purged, killed my metabolism and started a very unhealthy relationship with food, kicked the ED habits (mostly, still struggle sometimes) and gained more weight

Mother in law tried to get me to do the master cleanse thing with her (the lemonade thing) and I wisely turned it down.