Emotional Payoff for Staying Fat

Options
Do you think that the emotional payoffs for staying fat can be so strong that they are pretty much impossible to break?

Do you think that being overweight is usually all a mental problem, not a physical one?

To what extent do you think that a good looking, normal weight woman is sabotaged, picked on, or ostracized in society because other women are jealous of her?

How common is it for someone to stay fat just to "fit in" with her fat coworkers or fat friends, or not stand out in a crowd, or not cause others to be jealous of her and therefore hurt her?

Replies

• BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump! Super curious to see what people think/will say on this one!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    To which university do you intend to submit this paper?
  • amandalynnesmith
    Options
    Hi, Not asking for any other reason besides that I am asking myself these very questions, and am curious to know others' thoughts about them. I wonder if anyone else wonders the same, or has found asnswers. These questions plague me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) I felt better about myself and how I looked when I was thinner (and healthy). I am ashamed of how I let myself go. So for me, it I will feel emotionally better when I lose weight.

2) It can be.

3) If by normal weight, you mean within the healthy range of BMI. I honestly don't know. Although, growing up (was healthy weight growing up and until a few years ago) I was teased by friends and family alike (most who are and were on the heavier side). I also had people constantly offering me food, even though I ate a lot as it was. I was just very active and when I got to high school I loved to workout (I ran almost every day, was in marching band and played soccer, loved to go swimming, ect). My weight gain was caused by the fact that I stopped being active, but continued to eat like I was.

4) I don't know. I personally want to be healthy and have never really cared about "fitting in." I'm weird, a little crazy, ditzy and probably a few other things. I'm me and I love being unique. I'm to busy having fun to worry about what other people think. :drinker: **I have other ways to phrase this that I would prefer to use, but they aren't forum appropriate.**:tongue:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Um...what?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Do you think that the emotional payoffs for staying fat can be so strong that they are pretty much impossible to break?

Do you think that being overweight is usually all a mental problem, not a physical one?

To what extent do you think that a good looking, normal weight woman is sabotaged, picked on, or ostracized in society because other women are jealous of her?

How common is it for someone to stay fat just to "fit in" with her fat coworkers or fat friends, or not stand out in a crowd, or not cause others to be jealous of her and therefore hurt her?

What are your thoughts?
  • friedmsw1
    friedmsw1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I believe that the emotional payoffs for staying fat can sabotage someone in their weight loss. Definitely! However, I do not believe that they are impossible to break.

I believe that there is an emotional component In being overweight. However, I also feel that it is a physical issue as well. I do not believe that all people who are overweight have some type of mental illness, if that is what you mean. Yet, there can be emotional issues that can contribute to an individual being overweight.

In what way would the normal weight woman be sabotaged?

I live in a state that is one of the leading in obesity. It is hard to see obese people eating something that I would love to while I am drinking my Slim Fast or eating my little salad. Yet, it is all about the choices you make. Every choice we make has a consequence.

I know that these answers may sound simplistic, yet I guess it is probably time for me to go to bed.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I know what you mean by there being "emotional payoffs for staying fat," but I know you'd benefit from not looking at it that way. It's important when getting healthy to know that your emotional health is just as important and it's best to keep a positive attitude.

I don't believe for one second that being overweight is a "mental problem". I do believe that we can have mental blocks that can sabotage us and get in the way. It's pretty common to gain weight in a time when you aren't happy with other parts of your life. You should not blame yourself and feel bad about it. It won't help you. It only helps to love yourself the way you are so much that you want to be a better version... someone who is more healthy and happy... because YOU DESERVE IT.

Once you get to that point, your other questions won't really matter to you.

It won't matter if anyone is jealous because you deserve real friends who like you for you. There's nothing to be afraid of :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i've not experienced the issues you're referring to regarding other social pressure etc.

for me, it's almost completely mental.
    for most people, that is probably true.

if it was really just a physical process,
    then losing and keeping it off would be
    as simple as the math calculation
    of losing it.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i've not experienced the issues you're referring to regarding other social pressure etc.

for me, it's almost completely mental.
    for most people, that is probably true.

if it was really just a physical process,
    then losing and keeping it off would be
    as simple as the math calculation
    of losing it.

Agree, 100%!!!
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    honestly, one of the reasons i've stayed fat is because i feel like it makes me less of a target for assaults, etc. i don't live in the safest area and when i walk to campus (about a mile from my house), i don't feel like anyone is going to try to assault or mug me because i'm not physically appealing.

that's probably pretty awful, but it's true. so to that extent, for me, the emotional/mental payoffs make my weight easier to justify.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I can't comment on your first question cause I have not had that problem. I think most overweight people do want to lose weight.

I think there is a big mental component to being obese. Actually, most people have some body issues, no matter what size they are, that are all part of the mental/emotional aspect.

I am a good looking, normal weight woman, who dresses well - I never ever feel picked on or ostracized in society. I do not ever feel that other women are jealous of me.

I don't know the reasons why someone would choose to "stay" fat other than the fact that weight loss is difficult and it is difficult to change your patterns.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I would rather be physically able to do anything and everything I want with ease. I would hate to be slowed down because I am over weight, out of shape, and prone to injury. So no, I would not stay fat to fit in. I'd rather get in shape so I can eat whatever I want and have no shame.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    honestly, one of the reasons i've stayed fat is because i feel like it makes me less of a target for assaults, etc. i don't live in the safest area and when i walk to campus (about a mile from my house), i don't feel like anyone is going to try to assault or mug me because i'm not physically appealing.

that's probably pretty awful, but it's true. so to that extent, for me, the emotional/mental payoffs make my weight easier to justify.

I tend to lean in the other direction. I'd be a super easy target to mug. I doubt I could out run or evade someone intent on taking what I have. Assault, especially in terms of rape, is more about power than appearance I think. The Rape Crisis Center back home gave presentations discussing some of the reasoning behind it. Rape isn't about how hot you look or if you're wearing something "slutty" it's opportunity, whether or not someone thinks they can get you away somewhere quiet/how much of a fight you might put up, and the sense of power they feel. This is, of course, just my opinion.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure I understand the questions but I'll give my 2cents

I have thought to myself at time it would be worth it to stay fat because I feel better when I am eating fatty food and laying on my couch, but those thoughts went away when I realized, I do can love getting out and moving and it too can make me feel good.

I think 90% of the time its a mental issue, we are mentally addicted to food and we are not thinking about what we are doing.

In highschool, people assume you are a b-ch if you are good looking, not much changes when we all 'grow up"

I would say as common as it is for people to try and get skinny to 'fit in' where they are, if you don't like to stand out you will do whatever to blend in
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I hope you realise that this is just not true. I know that it's possible to think really illogical things but I hope you realise that that's what this is.

Because the next step from this type of thinking is blaming the women who do get attacked for the way they look.

All sorts of women get mugged/raped/assaulted. The way you look. The clothes you wear. The people you choose to sleep with. None of these things determine whether or not you'll be assaulted.

Overweight is definitely more mental than physical in many ways. Just like quitting smoking or giving up heroin would be. After all it's our brains that allow us to make all the poor choices and excuses.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have become 100x more insecure since losing 70+ pounds. I often feel like I was so fat before that I wasn't even looked at or judged because it just didn't even matter. But now when you put me in a room with other good looking women, internally, I become a wreck. I almost always feel inferior to every other woman around me.

I know that's all messed up but that's the truth for myself.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    oh goodness no, i am the furthest from a victim blamer there is. i guess i phrased things badly.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    1) No.

2) No, it is not an either/or problem for anyone.

3) "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" is ridiculous. I think it's been studied and at least somewhat agreed upon that more attractive people have an easier go of things, at the very least. In many cases they have the advantage.

4) I would be very surprised if this was common behaviour.

• Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't think I get any payoffs for being fat, but I do have a weird fear. every time I lose a pound, I get the urge to eat everything in sight. don't know why