lifters-what do you do with your calluses?

Options
Mine really bother me, so I like to remove them...but my husband says I need them. What do you do?

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I show 'em off as proof of my hard-a** work.

Be proud girl :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I leave them on. I do need to get me some gloves though.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Lifting gloves have worked wonders for my hands but before I owned them, I would leave my calluses.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Proper grip and chalk seems to help a lot. I have very mild callouses, they aren't rough or jagged at all. Genetics might play a factor too.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I use gloves. I still have callouses, but who cares? They're mild. Maybe file them down?
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Only when they start to rip or pinch (always on deadlifts it seems) I use one of the rocks made for your feet to file them down a little.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I show 'em off as proof of my hard-a** work.

Be proud girl :)

This.

I love my calluses. I'm pretty darn proud of them :)

Edit to add that the slur about gloves=gayness was uncalled for and ridiculous. It's so completely unnecessary to make comments like that. I'm sorry that your sense of humor is so low-brow that you have to resort to making disparaging comments about gay people. Not nice.

I prefer to just get the calluses. But who cares if someone is wearing gloves? It's their hands, not yours.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i wear gloves now, used to leave them though.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them til they rip off, then whine about it until it stops being tender. Then I grow new ones like a boss.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting gloves becuase I notice that I am getting calluses too.. and sometimes the bar is hard to hold when my hands get sweaty!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if you can lift without gloves do so. if you care about calluses wear gloves. I dont use gloves because i eventually want to Olympic lift compete and I know you cant wear gloves.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    anyone else's calluses hurt ? I wear gloves for the most part, but they still hurt until the next day ...odd?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I use pumice stone and hand cream. I don't use gloves, just chalk for barbell rows at the moment. Might need it for deads soon too.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    if you can lift without gloves do so. if you care about calluses wear gloves.

Yes. Simple as that.

People get so worked up on here.

It's like everyone's cycle is synced.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I file mine down when they get too thick because they do get painful after a lot of pulling lifts.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and still have calluses... not much you can do about it if you are lifting heavy...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I leave mine, they're not horrible, and I don't care if I have them or not. Every once in awhile one peels. If it bothers you, try rubbing them with a pumice stone to get rid of them, then use either gloves or chalk when you lift.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I wear my calluses with pride, and if they come off, into the skin box they go!
    29crr79.jpg
    That's a keeper.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    From the point of view of being a musician (I need calluses), the minimum trouble is caused by letting them form gradually and naturally. Don't try and do so much you blister, build up the time (and in your case, the weight) over a period.

If they get a little rough, a glass file like would be used on nails, will smooth the surface - most calluses are ripped off when they've got raggedy and that's let moisture and friction do their thing. And if they start to itch, wash very well with antibacterial soap, dry well and once they are completely dry, gently smooth them again. You're just evening off the top layers, not trying to remove great lumps.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and still have calluses... not much you can do about it if you are lifting heavy...

yep. I wear gloves but I still get small ones so I file them down and use a moisturizer.