Guacamole; 3 Questions

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    1) What is your favorite guacamole recipe?

2) What methods of guacamole storage/preservation have you found to be effective in combating The Brown?

3) How much guacamole can one reasonably consume in a single day on a 40/30/30 diet of 1,500-1,600 allotted daily calories? ;)

Why yes, I do have a craving. ;)

Here in Mexico we do not put tomato in the guacamole, because it causes it to oxidize really fast and everything turns watery and brown. Many people leave the avocado stone in the guacamole and others put a thin film of oil on the top. I keep guacamole in an air tight container where it stays in the fridge more or less ok. After about a day there is nothing one can do to keep guacamole from turning brown. But giving it a good stir makes the brown disappear, because usually ( if the guacamole is not too old ) it is just the top that is unsightly.
    I go by counting half a plain, small avocado at 125 calories . I don't know how much guacamole has, because I almost never eat it to avoid the chips. Only you can know how much of your daily calorie count you want to spend on avocados.....:o), but I imagine that a fair amount of guacamole with vegetables is a healthy meal. Maybe not every day, but occasionally.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple - avocado, fresh lime juice, salt & pepper, jalapeno if I have it.

I like cilantro, but it has no place in guacamole, imo.

Half an avocado contains about 150 calories, some fiber, and some good fats. It fits nicely into anyone's daily calories.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What!?!?!?!??!?! No one is chopping up a Jalapeno!?!??!

I always put Jalapeno in mine!! you gata have the Jalapeno!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

-avocado
    -tomato
    -onion
    -cilantro
    -lime juice
    -salt

2) What methods of guacamole storage/preservation have you found to be effective in combating The Brown?

-place in an airtight container
    -press a wet paper towel over the surface of the guacamole
    -press saran wrap over the wet paper towel
    -place cover on container and refrigerate

3) How much guacamole can one reasonably consume in a single day on a 40/30/30 diet of 1,500-1,600 allotted daily calories? ;)

I have no idea and no self control.
  • rockerchic4u03
    rockerchic4u03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you guys tried the hungry girl version? I use thawed frozen Peas though and don't put in the yogurt. My fiance LOVES it and its almost better than just avacado! It is alot lighter tasting :) I know Avacado is a good fat, but you can eat more of this for sure

One 15-oz. can early/young peas, drained
    1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 medium avocado's worth)
    1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (like Fage Total 0%)
    4 tsp. lime juice
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/8 tsp. ground cumin
    1/8 tsp. chili powder
    1/3 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    Optional: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped jarred jalapeños, additional salt and black pepper
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I freeze my leftover guac in single servings until the day I'm ready to eat more. It never turns brown and it's just as yummy as the first day.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I freeze my leftover guac in single servings until the day I'm ready to eat more. It never turns brown and it's just as yummy as the first day.

huh, it never occurred to me to freeze it. :flowerforyou: I've been trying to find a way to keep some at work for my sandwiches without having to buy anything pre-made with preservatives.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The pit in the leftover in a covered bowl should keep the brown out. I add a smidge of low fat may for extra creaminess (a trick I learned from a chef in Mexico). It's awesome for sure, but the chips (or the vehicle of the guac as it were) are what get me in trouble! It's just not the same on a celery stick...

Before I started counting every single calorie, I figured 1 avo per person if that was all we were having (like for a light lunch). However that's 250 calories, just for the avocado, so now that calories are like gold to me, I'm going to shoot for 1/2 an avo per person, or at least this person ;)
  • bethanyan2013
    bethanyan2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Cantina Laredo copycat recipe:

Haas (small, dark green) ripe avocadoes
    1 plum tomato chopped
    1/4 piece of a small red onion chopped
    1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
    Fresh juice of 1 lime
    1/4 teas. Sea salt, pepper
    Fresh Cilantro (about 1 T chopped)
    sprinkle of garlic powder
    Directions
    First squeeze a good amount of fresh lime (about 2 T) into a wooden bowl. Add your sea salt, pepper, garlic powder & mix. Add avocado, jalapeno, tomato, onion, cilantro (reserve a tiny bit of each to garnish middle/top). Serve immediately with warmed tortilla chips. Mmmmm

Read more: http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/cantina-laredo-guacamole-recipe-515680#ixzz2SXk4C1fZ
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. Avocados (obviously), lime juice, salt and pepper, red onion, a little tomato and of course cilantro.

I have never stored it for more then a day but I think the lime juice helps plus I will press wax paper on top of it.

:heart: avocados!

This is the recipe I use, only I add jalapeno. YUM
  • crissykclai
    crissykclai Posts: 20
    Options
    Here's my fave recipe:

1 whole Avocado, diced
    ½ cups Sweet White Corn
    ½ whole Red Bell Pepper, Diced
    ¼ cups Black Beans
    ¼ cups Jicama, Diced
    ½ cups Onion, Diced
    ½ teaspoons Salt
    1 whole Serrano Pepper, Diced
    Handful Of Cilantro, Chopped
    ½ whole Lime, Juiced

I could eat guacamole everyday and frequently do, I just skip the chips. Right before I store leftovers I add a little extra lime juice, give it a good stir, add back in the pit and use press and seal that you press down firmly directly onto the guacamole. Works like a charm.

Not sure how much you can safely eat, but avocados are full of healthy goodness. Enjoy!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Onion
    Hot pepper
    Tomato
    Cilantro
    salt and pepper

I had this recipe this past weekend on a tortilla with some grilled steak! It was amazing.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like it when someone else makes it for me...and what is this brown you speak of?

I forget the 3rd question because now I want to eat nothing but guac for the rest of the day!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Onion
    Hot pepper
    Tomato
    Cilantro
    salt and pepper

I had this recipe this past weekend on a tortilla with some grilled steak! It was amazing.

^^^ oh yeah on a steak taco its heavenly!!!!!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Pico de gallo (pre done because I'm lazy)
    Lime juice
    Salt.

Combine in a bowl with whatever implement of destruction most suits you. I find that a pastry cutter works well.

I wouldn't know how to keep it from going brown because it never lasts that long.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Left over guacamole? what's that?
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Garlic, Onions, and Lime Juice. Smothered on steak! Awesome. :D
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

Why yes, I do have a craving. ;)

1 avocado, juice of 1 lime, cilantro, olive oil. Mash & eat!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime zest, lime juice, fresh cilantro, black pepper, salt, cumin.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has all such interesting and varied recipes!

My recipe:
    1 avocado, smashed but not smooth
    A couple tablespoons of salsa, preferably homemade... but any port in a storm, eh?
    Squeeze of lime and a dash of pepper.

... Tada!

The most effective way I've found for keeping The Brown at bay is, 1) leave the pit in with the guac. and 2) apply seran-wrap directly to the guac. Or... you could just make smaller batches that you feel good about eating within about 24 hours. Nothing can stop The Brown Tide for long...