You'd be so pretty....if you lost weight.

Options

Replies

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I heard that from my mom on a regular basis growing up. Thanks Mom! :-/
  • bethanyan2013
    bethanyan2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And my response would be... and you may very well be a semi tolerable human being if you weren't shallow, insensitive and walking around with your head up your *kitten*!!!
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Or you're pretty to be a big girl. WTH?
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mom would tell me that I was getting fat and need to start watching me weight. I felt that she shouldn't of been saying anything since she was overweight herself. Don't know if she meant harm by it or just trying to help. But it made me feel bad about the way I looked.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    because that is not how you motivate someone. that only puts them down. wow. i'd probably say something back like "you'd be a lot nicer if you just wouldn't talk." sorry
  • kk11mk12
    kk11mk12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just tell him that it wouldn't have been fair for God to make you, funny, smart, witty, and skinny.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Oh! How about the "I'd be able to love you if you lost weight and grew your hair out" and/or "the only way I'd marry you is if you look dang good in a bikini" (needless to say, we're not together anymore).
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The worst one I get is "You look great...for having 3 kids."

I want to look great. Period. Not "For a mom" or anything like that. I find it insulting.
  • sarcosis1
    sarcosis1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I've had this said to me and the person who said it hasn't said I look pretty now I've lost weight either.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I understand taking the negative from that comment, but truth be told, it IS a compliment... though I think it is more important to look at yourself and decide if YOU think you are beautiful as you are, because that it far more important.

I see photos of myself when I was bigger and I don't want anyone to see them, but strangely, WHEN I took them, I thought I looked beautiful. And many people in my life tell me I was beautiful as a big girl. Still, with every change you make, with every moment of pride, you will see it more, and you'll feel beautiful in the new pictures like you never knew possible. Are you more beautiful at a lower weight? Probably not, you're just slimmer... but in your mind, will THAT make you feel beautiful, then I say get it done.

Making massive internal changes about beauty, at any size, was harder for me than just losing weight and having the catharsis thereafter. Sad, but true... and still in process.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the saying, "If only closed minds came with closed mouths."

Some people just shouldn't speak.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yep. I hear it all the time.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    People used to say that to me all the time. They were wrong, I look exactly the same only narrower. :laugh:
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever have experience with a line like that? This is something my dad has said to me numerous times over the years, I know he means it as a pseudo compliment/motivation, but that's not how it made me feel at the time.

never heard it (maybe I'm hopeless lol)! but I wouldn't mind it at all. its a simple truth that most people look much better when they are in better shape (just see all the before and after pictures on these forums as proof). Now, that being said, it doesn't excuse whatever jerk actually said that to you, but you should feel confident (and happy) that you will be as great looking on the outside as you feel on the inside when you have reached a body/health proportion that you are comfortable with. look forward to it!!

(and sorry if this isn't the usual "it doesn't matter how much you weight, you can still be beautiful" pep talk......because, while I agree with that all, I myself feel like an ugly fatso, so I think many people do to, and I think its healthier to work through real-world issues like that rather than have some imaginary platonic ideal).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Is this a dad line? Cuz my dad told me this for years.

Dads: do not ever, ever ever, say this to your daughter. mmkaythxbai
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I had a bf go on and on about how sexy a supermodel was and then saying "oh, I like your earth mama thing too".....

:huh:

Mmmmm yeah. Dumping that guy was one of the best decisions of my life.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That would irritate me, I am glad you can find some good from it.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How is this a bad thing? My dad told me I was "getting a bit chunky" and then one day I realized he only wanted the best for me. I looked in the mirror truthfully and realized I was getting fat. So for me it worked. But I'm a guy... so?
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Proper response: "You'd sound so intelligent ... If you shut up."
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No one has ever said anything like that to me but I'm always telling myself, "you'd be a knockout if you lost weight".

Does that count?