You'd be so pretty....if you lost weight.

Options

Replies

• smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You have such a pretty face.....too bad you're overweight and nobody will ever want to marry you.

Celebrating 19 years of marriage this year to an awesome man who loves me no matter how overweight I may be and who has never ever ever, not once, made a mean remark about my weight. My father can go to........

^^this... it's not 19 years of marriage, but 2 years of a serious relationship and living together. and not my first bf, either, so i guess i can't be as bad as they think.... yes, my father and all the other people can suck it, i'm great the way i am and some people actually do love me for ME not for my looks!! i am doing this for them, because they deserve an even better version of me, but mostly for myself. because this is what i want, not what someone else wants me to do.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Heard all the time before my mom died, and how she wished i would look like a cheerleader and dancer. And honestly still hear it, minusing from my husband, who says he loves me no matter what weight I am. and while I appreciate hearing that, I am still going to lose.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've heard that idiotic remark from some caveman and I just ignored it. Back when I was religious, he said "You'd be the prettiest girl in our congregation if you lost weight".
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My old neighbor had the nerve to tell me last summer (mind you he was drinking) that I am a "pretty baby" but that I was starting to get chubby. Then he said if I gained too much more I wouldn't be pretty anymore. I nearly throat punched him. I did calmly tell him to mind his business or go away so he won't have to look at me and all my chubbiness. People are stupid.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think that's a terrible thing to say and a terrible way to try to motivate someone :(
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Oh! How about the "I'd be able to love you if you lost weight and grew your hair out" and/or "the only way I'd marry you is if you look dang good in a bikini" (needless to say, we're not together anymore).

What a d-bag! Glad you wised up!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have never had this line used on me, by anyone... but then again my dad never told me I was pretty/beautiful EVER.
  • ElenakiFra
    ElenakiFra Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To me happens the opositive! My parents allways think that if you are chubby you are healthy. I ve lost 42 lbs and all i hear from them is : how you became like this etc They think i will get anorexic! Their mind is messed up!. And my weight is 127 lbs for 5ft 5inches height!
    So imagine that....to make such a big change for your health and have a better life,trying to loose weight and exercise hard! At the end to get those comments as a reward by your parents!
    ps. sorry for my poor english.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think I would just find some thing I could not stand about him and point it out. But that would be I anger, may not help you at all. But it may stop him from saying stupid stuff like that to his daughter.
  • arasky90
    arasky90 Posts: 10
    Options
    YES. From my mum, quite often... only recently she's started to realise how much it hurts me.
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    ElizabethRaeBarnes Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have such a pretty face.....too bad you're overweight and nobody will ever want to marry you.

Celebrating 19 years of marriage this year to an awesome man who loves me no matter how overweight I may be and who has never ever ever, not once, made a mean remark about my weight. My father can go to........

THIS!
    ❤ One thing I learned in my early 20's. It really doesnt matter what other people think, at all... Seriously. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is that you look in the mirror and like what you see. It doesnt matter what your parents think, friends, strangers...nothing. JUST YOU! If you dont like something, change it. If you are happy, stay the same. :) dont let people try to bring you down.

My gramps always told me I was fat when I was a teenager. I am 5'9'' tall. I ended up battling anorexia for a year because of his persistant rude comments.

When you dont let others get to you mentally, you will be your happiest. :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was like 18 and had gone out clubbing with my sister, her fella and a bunch of their friends that I didn't know too well. There was this one guy who was really good looking and we seemed to get on well. Spent most of the night boogying together on the dance floor and having a laugh.

Nothing was said that night, but the following day my sister told me that he had said to her and her fella that he'd be really interesting in hooking up with me sometime if I was slimmer, as I was pretty and had a great personality but was too heavy for him to date.

At the time I was probably about 20lbs overweight.

I'm glad he didn't say it to me as I would have been upset, but my sis went crazy at him, telling him that he was an arrogant tosser and I could do far far better than the likes of him lol.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    "You would have had the girls in high school if you weren't so big."

As if that was my goal in school - thanks.

And guess what? There are ladies out there who like the big and burly type!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My EX-boyfriend told me one time that I would be the prettiest girl in the room if I was skinnier. I know he meant it as a compliment, but what an idiot.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    When I was approx 13, I was at my uncle & aunt's house following a funeral. I was grabbing some cookies & punch when my uncle said to me "You're losing your girlish figure there little Miss." Hit like a ton of bricks back then, and now when I think about it, I think it was kinda creepy too. Some people are *ssh*les, plain and simple.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    the way you are no wonder youre single

look at your stomach its like an old mans beer stomach

when i was younger and really skinny (i mean REALLY) he said if i ever looked at my toes, how fat they are....

oh sometimes people just dont know what words can do to a person
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It was never said as blatantly as that but it was implied.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When I was first divorced, I was out with one of my best friends. He told me that he could just about garauntee that if I lost 10 lbs and came to that bar, I wouldn't be leaving alone.

However, a) he is much bigger than me, and b) I don't think comments like that have the same impact on guys as they do on women anyway, and C) I, in fact, I needed to lose about 25 lbs back then. We both knew we both needed to lose weight, and a simple acknowledgement of that fact had no impact on me. But I think that is just one of the ways men and women are different.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Backhanded compliments. Hate them.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have never had this line used on me, by anyone... but then again my dad never told me I was pretty/beautiful EVER.

Yep - me neither. When we would drive past a herd of cows, he was tell me that's where he got me from. He would say that every. single. time.