Dealing with CoWorkers while you diet?

Options
Okay, so I work in a small department, and people are usually all in each others business. So naturally I don't want to mention that I am on a diet because I don't want people putting their two cents into what I "should" be doing. But how do you get people to say no and respect your answer without dishing out all the details? I repeatedly asked a coworker/boss not to bring me food from the restaurant he went to, and he pretty much wouldn't let me say no. So now I am sitting in my office with 2 containers of barbecue pulled pork and baked beans, that smell entirely too delicious, and that I don't want to eat because I can't accurately judge the calories enough to be comfortable with eating a small portion of it.

It smells really good and it's making me upset. What would you do in this situation?

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    All you can do is not eat it. You have to respect yourself. Your boss will survive.
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree. Do you're best to stay true to your goals. As hard as this is sometimes it means saying No to people who for some reason get offended by the silliest things!
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options
    mmmmm now I can smell it...

If it were me I'd be really dramatic, pace the floor talking to it, shoot it mean looks when it's smell wafts toward me. Then spray the room with the can from the bathroom, then double bag it, and give it to a homeless guy.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    be gracious, estimate the calories as best you can, try to split the meal into two portions to save yourself the calories and enjoy! its nice that your coworkers care to include you and want to share with you and enjoy that. As for what to say in the future, I would just say that your trying to eat healthier or cleaner or something about saving money and wanting to cook more at home. No need to mention anything more than that.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    mmmmm now I can smell it...

If it were me I'd be really dramatic, pace the floor talking to it, shoot it mean looks when it's smell wafts toward me. Then spray the room with the can from the bathroom, then double bag it, and give it to a homeless guy.

HAHA I love you.
  • BJJGirl79
    BJJGirl79 Posts: 6
    Options
    3 things:
    1. Be kind, but firm. Explain to your boss (or any other co-workers) that you are doing something to improve you health, and your life. Tell him (them) that you appreciate the gesture, but feel as though the food is going to waste, since you are not going to eat it.
    2. Brush your teeth. When you have a minty fresh taste in your mouth, food doesn't seem all that appealing (according to Jillian Michaels)
    3. GET THE FOOD OUT OF YOUR OFFICE, AWAY FROM YOUR DESK!!!!!

Stay strong! You can say no. It's okay, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing so! Peer pressure comes in all forms. Food tends to be the worst of them.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Your boss is probably just trying to be nice. MFP listings may give you an idea of how many calories are in it. Look it up under BBQ pulled pork and see what it says. You could be gracious and have just a little bit (a measurable quantity). Though I did like the suggestion to give it to a homeless person. Also, perhaps you could tell your office that you are on a strict fitness program and ask them not to bring distractors to you. They may tease you a bit but you wouldn't have to use the word "diet." You are in training and are working toward specific goals. :-) All athletic like! :happy:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Instead of telling them you're on a diet, why not say you' re trying to eat healthier? I don't really consider what I'm doing to be a "diet," so this is what I generally tell people.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would offer to get him lunch and then get some bland tasteless health food.

He won't ask you again and next thing you know you're each getting your own lunches.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Simple: don't eat the food. We have parties and food is brought into my office constantly. Just ignore it or eat some nuts which will give you good fats and keep you full. No shame in not eating it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    say thank you. eat it. allow for it in your calories.

you're going to through out pulled pork and baked beans? what are you, a communist??
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Instead of telling them you're on a diet, why not say you' re trying to eat healthier? I don't really consider what I'm doing to be a "diet," so this is what I generally tell people.

I think this is a good idea. Saying you're trying to eat healthier may work. Or say, you already ate...thanks but no thanks.

Honestly, just throw the food out. That may seem mean, but if it's really bothering you and your boss won't respect your needs, just toss it.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to eat it then maybe you could give it to someone else. Or put it in the fridge for someone to eat tomorrow.
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    If you get a good answer, let me know. I have been very vocal about being healthy and trying to eat less junk. My coworkers had cupcakes, Mexican, and doughnuts last week. I made it to Thursday before I caved. I was able to fit it in my calories for the day but I would rather it just not be presented to me.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would siggest hey give it to the homeless. I too have a co worker who lost alot of weight on the HCG Injections. she thinks she is an expert now that she is skinny and tried to give me advice on how to lose weight. She hasn't even noticed the 18 lbs I have lost doing it the right way.. she just thinks i look differenct because my hair is longer.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This is me.

And if he won't take no for an answer about bringing you food, ask for a salad instead. But honestly, if you didn't ask for the food, and you don't want it, don't feel bad about trashing it or giving it to someone else that wants it.
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Before I really got in control of my eating and would have something that was really tempting in front of me I would pretty much sabotage the food. ie I pour water or soda all over the food, or maybe ketchup or anything that i knew would essentially ruin the temptation. Good luck on your journey. I work in a large office but we are split into small groups so I understand.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say they're dieting and then eat junk. Even if you tell your boss you're dieting, he/she may not know how to respond.

Honestly, don't feel like you HAVE to eat it. If your boss is so petty as to get upset about it, perhaps their good opinion isn't worth saving. You did tell them you're on a diet.

On the other hand, perhaps eat a very small portion and give/throw the rest away. MFP should have a close equivalent.
  • bennzz61
    bennzz61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1. Do you have a refrigerator/freezer in your office? If so how about PROMPTLY taking it to the freezer and sticking in there. Then you can take it home and portion it out for another night.
    2. Can you step outside and find a homeless person to give it to??
    3. My co-workers ALWAYS get take-out, I bring my food from home. It totally tantalizes me to smell their food but I try to remind myself of their arteries and how mine should be clean and clear in comparison to theirs.
    4. Also, in my office we often have leftovers from breakfast and lunch meetings. I try to envision all the germs from people who have either breathed over the food or touched it since they are leftovers from a meeting. The same goes for cookies people bring or vendors deliver to our office, I try to envision all the people who have passed by them and possibly coughed in the air. . . make this food seem less tantalizing.

Another way to look at it is this way - he may secretly want you to fail or join him in this meal since it's not good for him either. It's his way of justifying his eating it. If YOU eat it then it's okay if he eats it too. Does that make sense?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would lie and say you have a stomach problem where your stomach cannot handle high fat food, make it sound like life-dangerously serious and maybe they will back off.

or if he insists on getting you something, order a grilled chicken or a salad if they have it. that wouldnt be too bad.