So, an old lady made me feel bad today

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
I have been slacking off on working out lately.
The kayak has been dry
The bike has flats
and I have not been jogging like I should.
Anyway, every few weeks when I go to Publix, I see this RAV 4 with this ancient looking sit-in kayak on a roof rack.
This thing is pretty beat up and has all kinds of stickers and patches on it.
Naturally, I assumed it belongs to some hipster.
Today, I happened to park my bug right next to it and I went inside to do my light shopping.
As I was walking back to the car, I walked past an old lady pushing her cart. I got in my car and, just when I was going to start it, I saw the old lady open the door to this RAV 4.
I just HAD to talk to her so, I got out and I asked her about the Kayak.
Now, this woman was 80 years old and probably 5 ft tall at best. She informed me that she paddles three times a week. The Thule rack is one of those that swings over the side and drops down. She carries the kayak by herseld to the waters edge.
The Kayak is carbon fiber and "only" weighs in at 22 lbs but, it is 12 ft long.
So, She is working out three times a week and is almost twice my age.
And I am *****ing about getting fat again.

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    how cool is that we can all learn something from her !!! Thanks for the push!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. Feel inspired. That will be you when you're 80, still out doing what you love to do, and doing it with panache.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    This 62 year old lady loved your post. I love myself and my weight loss. Your post made my day!

Shirley in Oregon
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Nothing like active old people to remind us how much we suck..but then again..if she can..so can you..I guess its the motivation you needed...
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Go granny, go! We sure could all learn from this story :wink:
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yup, feel inspire! You too can be that sporty and cool by the time you reach that age! And honestly, I don't even think 80 is old if the person is in good health and enjoying life! :)
  • annaldora
    annaldora Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I won't piss and moan anymore about walking three times a week. (I'm not crazy about exercising, which is why I have 100 lbs to lose at 50 years old..haha)...can't even imagine doing her routine....Bless her!! Thank you for sharing this with us, and I hope you have an awesome week. I will have to keep this story in my head! :-)

~Ann
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    At the end of the conversation, I shook her hand and I told her "If you see this bug, please look for me out on the water".
    She laughed and said she loved my beetle.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's stories like these that help us get back in the saddle after we've got kicked off the horse. Don't let it bring you down! Get back up and get back to doing what you need to be doing! Above all, remember why you're doing it in the first place :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thats the boss! Friggin' my hero!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    An adorable old couple (had to be late 70s or early 80s) passed me at the finish line of my half marathon this past Saturday. They were so cute - she was very short and a little hunched over, he was much taller and they were holding hands when they crossed. I was both very touched and a little embarrassed that, at 53, I had let them pass me up! But hey, we all finished and that's what matters, right? Just means we better keep working at it so we can be like that in our 80s!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Aww sweet story and BOOM to the old lady : )
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Loved this! I am 54, and hope I can still do what I do now when I'm 80!!! That is who I want to be when I grow up!!
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring!!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oh I so want to be her!
  • MeganGable
    MeganGable Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hahaha, great story. Get back on the wagon, we all get on and off babes, it's ok! :):)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It is all about how you choose to think about that situation. Could be inspiration or inslut to injury.

I run the belachers at work and a while back there were two girls running just in front of me. Now, i keep a pretty good clip and they kept just ahead of me, but I would catch up every so often. We finised a few sets and I told them I was impressed with how hard they were kick'in it up the stairs. The one girl just looked back and said, "yeah, you did pretty good for an older guy." Can't say that didn't bug me for a bit, but thikning about it. Damn...I do a pretty hard workout for an older guy... :)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. What a little bad *kitten*. :)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    LOVE that story.....and love that you talked to her and found out her story!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a hip, hip, hip lady, man.