This is possibly the silliest question ever..

Options

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Also it seems like noone answered your other question so ill go ahead. It has helped me a great deal cutting my bread significantly from my diet. Every now and then I'll allow myself a slice for toast, but its not an everyday thing. I would suggest eating bread in moderation.
  • Lunachic77
    Options
    Haha this guy. I couldn't give a **** what they think about my meal. Most of the people on this site need their moms to cook their meals or if they could cook, the only thing they could cook up is a steak with a potateo. I might not be rolling in money but I got unlimited stacks of swag and creativity. Been living on my own since I was 16 years old doing part-time while in school. I'm 19 now and 99% of this forum wouldn't even know the start of struggle. Me, I earned my swag and learned how to do things on my own. They talk **** like they could do better when in reality, they wouldn't even know how to turn on a damn microwave. Haha suckas

Just feeding the troll...every one of her posts is bananas.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

thanks for the info! your great, but what im saying is its barly written on it in australia i just downloaded a converter app :D

As folks have stated, this is US - but similar information would apply. You can also search similar foods in the food database, without even having the label. In other words, if you're heating a store-purchased hot dog bun, look up on MFP "hotdog bun." It may not be precise, but it will be in the ballpark and somewhere to start.

Good luck to you.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie too and also use an online converter to make sure the calories recorded here in MFP are the same as what's on the packet. Also, if you're using an iPhone like I do, you can scan the item in when logging your food. Just a thought. Some of the items, like Red Bull for example, show several different options but one says "Australia" afterwards....usually someone has already done the converting for you in these ones but I check anyway :)

YAY! an aussie! yeah i just got an app which translates the KJ - calories :) thanks heaps!
  • tessi1993
    Options
    No.

sorry what?
  • tessi1993
    Options
    Your opening post made sense to me - but I am Kiwi and new to this nutritional kick thing so maybe that is why.

The colourful image above is really useful though it is based on US information.

The % you see is the percentage of your daily intake for 1 serving of whatever if your daily intake is 8700 kj.

The nasty trick is most packets seem to be more than on serving. They are often random amounts like 1.3 servings or 2 servings.

Search foods on here and use either AUS or NZ to help find brands that are familiar to you and using metric measurements.

thanks so much, yes is all very confusing down under! have you got the converter add? its perfect!
    the other thing that confuses me tho, when it says per serve would that be 1? like if there biskets or something?

thanks!
  • tessi1993
    Options
    ah your the best thank you!
    do you think i should lay back on anything else is my food diary?
    help is much appreciated :D
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm another proud Kiwi and I've been on this site for just over one year.

The foods I buy here in NZ have either Kilojoules and calories written on the package OR Kcal which I expect is the metric equivalent of calories. I work my food diary in calories as it's much easier for me to understand, and I calculate my weight in Kg.

For the likes of mashed potatoes - I scroll until I find "generic mashed potatoes" with a weight or measurement I understand eg 1 cup and if I think I've had about 3/4 of a cup I change the portion number to .75.
    I love bananas and the calorie amount changes a bit dependent on the size of the fruit, so if I've had a medium banana I search on that and select it.
    A lot of it can be guess work and sometimes I choose to select something that is close in description to what I've eaten as long as the calories look about right.
    When you've been on here a while you will get a "feeling" about the calories and if something looks just too high for what you ate you will search again.

I used to use a small calorie counter book that I bought about 35 years ago and pen and paper. I tell you this is MUCH easier.

MFP allows me 1650 calories per day. I allow no more than 400 cals for breakfast; about 300 for lunch; 700 or 800 for tea and 150 for snacking. This is roughly how I do it, however my breakfast can drop as low as 200 and then my snacking total might go up. It all depends.

You will be fine. Until you get used to the calculations, eat the food that you currently do so you are familiar with what you are working with. Cut your portions down so they fit in roughly with your calories for breakfast etc. Then in a couple of weeks bring in the healthier foods and then you'll be on your way.

Just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK and most importantly remember you're doing this for YOU!!!
  • Lunachic77
    Options
    No.

sorry what?

Not directed at you dear, having some technical issues and that one went through without the rest of my paragraph. :smokin:
  • tessi1993
    Options
    Also it seems like noone answered your other question so ill go ahead. It has helped me a great deal cutting my bread significantly from my diet. Every now and then I'll allow myself a slice for toast, but its not an everyday thing. I would suggest eating bread in moderation.

ah your the best thank you!
    do you think i should lay back on anything else is my food diary?
    help is much appreciated :D
  • tessi1993
    Options
    so i got an app which converts KJS to calories :)
    the only thing is food diary on here is saying 2 slices of bread (multigrain) is 233 calories!!!
    should i cut bread out? or not eat as much?

Eat whatever you like, just keep it under the calories you're setting. In the begining don't worry about anything else except how many calories you're eating. Earn as you move along, slowly, about macros etc. This thread might be of some help. Also a great group if you wanna join in. Read their stickies

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

thank you :D so a cookie wouldnt kill me? :)
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary for today and the only thing that may be off is lunch. You have 2 slices of bread and a ham, cheese and salad sandwich. Did you have a sandwich AND 2 slices of bread or is that a duplication?

Tchnically yes if you stick to your calories you should lose weight and you can eat 'anything' to make up those calories. However if you blow 700cal at lunch on maccas you're not going to leave yourself with much for the rest of the day, plus consider your health not just your weight.

I'm in Aust too :)
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an Aussie. Feel free to add me and check my diary for food ideas and calorie content.

I mostly shop at Aldi and woolies. I rarely have to work out calories, most things are in the data base. When shopping I just do a quick divide by 4 to get a rough idea before buying.
    Bread , be careful, don't overdo it but by all means if you like it ,eat it.
    Good luck.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    haha sorry guys!

the point of the thread is im from australia, and they have calories as KJ so there not listed on foods and i was so confused, which now im not! haha.

if you could check my food for today and give me some tips that would be awesome!

and i have no idea whats going on with chloe and her "swag".....

hmm, they don't put in calories in Kangaroo land? Mind you, it "might" say kilo calories (The correct term I believe). I know in most Asian countries they do put in both. You can always google it (I googled "how many calories = joules" and got the result of 1 joule = 0.239005736 calories

As for the swag... I think you know the answer. Anyone using the word swag while using a fake pic from the interwebs has lots of issues

ETA: NOT the silliest question. I've seen many that would qualify. Your question is not even in the top 1,000

thank you!
    no they dont it says (KJs) thats why i was so confused! thank you

hmm, well, then I guess google is your only way or try to learn some maths to convert :(

I wonder how the other Aussies on the side do it since I don't think I've heard this issue before. I currently don't have any Aussies on my FL else I'd ask them for you. Regardless, most of the items in the database when you search what you ate should be in calories anyways so I don't think it'll matter. Would just take some getting used to in terms of knowing how many calories an item is before you eat it but you should get there very soon :)

GL mate :)

Hey yes you do! ME!!!!!!! Thanks mate ;)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    so i got an app which converts KJS to calories :)
    the only thing is food diary on here is saying 2 slices of bread (multigrain) is 233 calories!!!
    should i cut bread out? or not eat as much?

Eat whatever you like, just keep it under the calories you're setting. In the begining don't worry about anything else except how many calories you're eating. Earn as you move along, slowly, about macros etc. This thread might be of some help. Also a great group if you wanna join in. Read their stickies

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

thank you :D so a cookie wouldnt kill me? :)

Nope, a cookie would definitely NOT kill you. I eat ice cream daily. Some very VERY fit friends of mine eat junk food daily. The key is moderation. I keep about 10% of my calories reserved for ice cream daily and so do many others. It helps me stay on track and not all of a sudden crave and eat everything in sight ya know.

Like I said, when you get a hang of your calories control then you can go for macros (and even in that you can eat ice cream and cookies. Or both :) ). Macros would just ask you to eat certain amount of protein, fats or carbs more or maybe less of something but you can still eat whatever you like as long as you're good on your carbs, proteins and fats. Read the link I posted plus this link if you need help with what macros are

• JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Like bread, cookies in moderation! Portion control is a must. If I want a piece of cake at a party I will get one, but I'll make sure its not over the top huge. You dont have to deprive yourself of the things you love, just control the portions and stay within the calorie range! I eat sweet things and even have an energy drink addiction at the moment but still been able to lose a few lbs and even grew some muscle. I see 4 slices of bread on your diary, not alot of veggies, and i'd add a little more protein if youre trying to lose weight, because your muscles need fuel to keep them from deteriating while youre trying to lose weight(well depends on how tall you are to), also do you excersise?
  • tessi1993
    Options
    Hi, I'm another proud Kiwi and I've been on this site for just over one year.

The foods I buy here in NZ have either Kilojoules and calories written on the package OR Kcal which I expect is the metric equivalent of calories. I work my food diary in calories as it's much easier for me to understand, and I calculate my weight in Kg.

For the likes of mashed potatoes - I scroll until I find "generic mashed potatoes" with a weight or measurement I understand eg 1 cup and if I think I've had about 3/4 of a cup I change the portion number to .75.
    I love bananas and the calorie amount changes a bit dependent on the size of the fruit, so if I've had a medium banana I search on that and select it.
    A lot of it can be guess work and sometimes I choose to select something that is close in description to what I've eaten as long as the calories look about right.
    When you've been on here a while you will get a "feeling" about the calories and if something looks just too high for what you ate you will search again.

I used to use a small calorie counter book that I bought about 35 years ago and pen and paper. I tell you this is MUCH easier.

MFP allows me 1650 calories per day. I allow no more than 400 cals for breakfast; about 300 for lunch; 700 or 800 for tea and 150 for snacking. This is roughly how I do it, however my breakfast can drop as low as 200 and then my snacking total might go up. It all depends.

You will be fine. Until you get used to the calculations, eat the food that you currently do so you are familiar with what you are working with. Cut your portions down so they fit in roughly with your calories for breakfast etc. Then in a couple of weeks bring in the healthier foods and then you'll be on your way.

Just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK and most importantly remember you're doing this for YOU!!!

Aww your lovely! thank you so much! this app is really useful too :)
  • tessi1993
    Options
    thanks! i have added you! (=
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A great rule of thumb is to eat the purest, simplest foods possible. If you pick up a packaged food and it has 10 ingredients on it, opt for a food that is only comprised of 3. Better yet, go with fresh fruit and veg, nuts, and whole grains... things that are comprised of a single ingredient! Chop up lots of fruits and veg in advance so that when you get the urge to snack, you have it ready to grab-- as opposed to popping open a bag of crisps.

Calorie counting is an excellent way to force a mindfulness about food and help you alter your habits. Ultimately, if you can aim for natural foods over processed foods, you are heading in the right direction!

Good luck!