Replies

• dizzzy33
    dizzzy33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump ---- I'm also wondering the same question, been trying to get into running for over 5 months, but my problem is my legs.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    My experience is never let myself go out-of-breath.
    When I start breathing hard, I slow down my pace or my stride (can be really short) until my breathing is ok.

Eventually find a pace/stride that won't make me out-of-breath at all and run with that pace.
    Then the only thing that stops me from running is until my legs getting exhausted. (short stride reduces the load on legs too)

speed should never be a concern when starting to run.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    not sure if this was already mentioned but use a HRM when you walk/run. this is how i figured out that i can actually do it. previously i was in week 5 of C25k (the one with three five minute run intervals) and was having trouble. one day walking with my dog i was annoyed my HR was only 100 and that i didn't seem to be able to walk much faster. so i just started jogging very slowly. at first i made sure to keep my HR at 150 or under. when it got over that i walked for 2 minutes and then jogged again. but now when i do this i stay around 160 (or under). as long as i don't let it exceed 160, i can run for 30 -35 minutes, which ends up being about 2.6 miles.

it is a slow pace. when i started i think it was around 4-4.2 mph but now it's around 4.5-4.8 mph.

the key for me was keeping my HR down under 160. that's what enabled me to go much longer. maybe it won't work that way for other people but it has for me.
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Another gymboss fan here. I think for me what keeps me going is no wasted movement. I started out setting my gymboss to 30 seconds with a two minute "rest." I would warm up a mile by walking a 4 mph walk, than jog for 30 seconds, walk two minutes and rotate this until I have gone four miles. At first I ended up with about a 5 mph "walk." I gradually expended my jog time and shortened my walk time so that I was jogging an 8 mile an hour route.

When you first begin you want to work diligently on no wasted movement. Form, form and form. I'm training for a half marathon, if I wasn't, I would stick with walking. I'm almost 50 and it is just too hard on my joints.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how slow you go, what matters is that you're going :)
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    not sure if this was already mentioned but use a HRM when you walk/run.

the key for me was keeping my HR down under 160. that's what enabled me to go much longer. maybe it won't work that way for other people

It works for a lot of people
    Article here
    http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/cippianhotmail/files/Want_Speed_Slow_Down_2007.pdf
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Faster-Exercising-Slower/dp/0062736744
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Go really slow! Also, do a modified version of C25K. Start with 30 seconds jogging and 3 minutes walking. Then every week either decrease the walking by 30 seconds or increase the jogging by 15 seconds... whatever you can do!
  • craigjmorton
    craigjmorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't let your weight or height put you off. I keep referring to beginnertriathlon.com because I get a lot of my inspiration from there. There are guys there who are +300lbs and are training and running triathlons and marathons. For the record I am 6'2 and weighed 285lbs when I started with my C25K. I am now in week 4 of C25K.

There has been a lot of commen sense expressed here, C25K is the best option but remember, there are plenty of C25K programs out there which can help you. This one, for example, http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27 has you walking for your first month.

Also bear in mind, C25K is done at your pace. I ran my first week for at least 3 weeks before I started to progress to Week 2. If I have a bad run day, then I just repeat the run next work out.

Also read up and watch youtube about how to run, people might laugh, but I was a stomper when I ran, I sounded like a herd of elephants and would end up with sore knees, shins and feet at the end. So after doing some research and watching some coaching video clips, I adjusted my running style and have not looked back.

You have a lot of options and support from MFP, so don't sweat it, you will win!
  • lncoleman
    lncoleman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks everyone so much for all of your answers and encouragement. I actually went back through and took notes!

I think my biggest issues were going too fast and breathing. Last night I actually "jogged" 3 times during my walk without being out of breath or dying. I am not going to be able to do that every night yet, but when I feel like it I will!

Thanks so much!!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you should really be running not much faster than you are walking. Don't get hung up on speed. As long as both of your feet are off the ground at the same time you are running.[/img]

Huh? Wouldn't that be jumping?

Or...hovering?
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you should really be running not much faster than you are walking. Don't get hung up on speed. As long as both of your feet are off the ground at the same time you are running.[/img]

Huh? Wouldn't that be jumping?

Or...hovering?

I like it... hovering... if only, huh?

Actually the bolded part above is part of the definition of running that I've always used, but is incomplete.

Walking is motion where both feet are on the ground some of the time, one foot is in the air some of the time, but there is never a time when both feet are in the air.

Running is motion where one foot is on the ground some of the time, both feet are in the air some of the time, but there is never a time where both feet are on the ground.

That's the basic difference between running and walking.

Typically, walking is slower than running, but that doesn't have to be the case. There are race walkers who fit the mechanical definition above, who can move faster than many people could even sprint.

I never thought of it, but the definition of hopping would be the following in the same sort of format:

Hopping is motion where both feet are on the ground some of the time, both feet are in the air some of the time, but there is never a time when only one foot is on the ground and one foot is in the air.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Try to count when you breathe in and out. My husband had to call cadence (sp?) when we first started so that I could time my breathing because I was holding my breath. I still have to breathe in for 2 out for 2 when I first get going or I get all messed up. Then I find that I am just going. Make sure that you aren't hunched over/forward so that you can get a good breath. When I forget to do those things I find I can't go more than 60 seconds without a stich in my side.