Anyone else discovered low calories are their only option?

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR?

Not trying to be a douche, but i'm pretty certain she said what it was on one of the first 3 pages? The OP seems to of covered every angle lol

I did not see it in Op's post.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have been on for 125 days. In the begining I lost weight at 1200-1300 cals a day. Then I read more into it, like you, and gradually went up to 1700. I havent lost a pound since I increased from 1300. So, for about 60 days I ahve been the same weight. I work out 5 days a week with lifting and cardio included. I am getting stronger and my fitness level improved but no weight/inches lost since the starvation diet. Really frustrating.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with people on here. Just because you've had one particular experience and YOU are able to eat a certain amount and still lose weight, be fit, lean etc. you seem to think that one rule fits all but unfortunately it isnt' the reality for some of us.

What I don't get with people who seem intent on telling someone like me they're starving themselves is that you haven't bothered to listen to anything I've said about the months I've tried to eat a lot higher calories and have only seen negative results.

Can't you understand that I only got to be this weight in the first place over the course of 2 years of eating higher calories? Doesn't that compute in your brains? You can ONLY lose weight by eating less than you were previously or burning it off through exercise and that's a fact. We don't really know how accurate calorie burns are on HRMs anyway and we don't know if the labels and calorie counts of foods we put into MFP are truely accurate either. Combine that with not knowing how much our bodies are individually capable of burning off and that amounts to a lot of room for movement.

How can any of you say that it's unhealthy to think that lowering body fat through diet is a bad thing? You try living in a relatively 'thin' body made up of 31% fat and tell me that's healthy. It's not just for vanity purposes but for health purposes and whichever way you look at it it's just not healthy to carry that much fat. Unfortunately if the only way to get it off is to eat low calories for a while while continuing to train then so be it. Once I've achieved that I've said all along that I will start eating more, at least at maintenance which I've already said is probably around 1500-1600. That's hardly an unhealthy amount of food to eat and hopefully given the amount of weight I want to lose I'll be able to do that in a few months time. Eating 1100-1200 calories for 5-6 months is not going to be the end of the world now is it?

You also seem to totally ignore all the people in the Western world who are not members of MFP and who don't religiously count calories or even know how much they're really eating. I know many people who fall into that category who may well be eating under the 'recommended' level for long periods of time. For example someone I know works in a restaurant and she works most days from 5pm-1am. She therefore only ever eats breakfast and a normal lunch and when she finishes work at 1am she goes home and eats a bowl of cereal so she probably eats no more than 1000 calories, though unintentionally. She has a lot of muscle (although she doesn't exercise) and her body fat is around 22%.

One of my neighbours eats only once a day and normally only has a sandwhich which is a form of intermittent fasting (although obviously very low calorie). He's in his 70s and is healthy. This supports what was said on a BBC TV documentary which gave the example of an Indian man who ran a marathon aged 100 and also only ate once a day. He swore that his good health was due to this way of eating. Another neighbour who's 46 weighs 115lbs and doesn't exercise, she's also healthy. She regularly skips meals and eats more when she goes out for meals with friends and at special occasions like birthdays/Christmas etc. She's getting married in 4 months so she's switched to eating salads mainly and again isn't lacking in muscle definition.

There are most likely many examples of people around all of us who eat less than TDEE -20% some low carb, some high carb and many other combinations but most of them are totally unaware of how much they're eating.
  • Jamcar77
    Jamcar77 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well said!! :-)
  • Joehenny
    Options
    Op why did you even post then?
  • JAT74
    Options
    Hbazzell don't you feel like you've wasted so much time, it's frustrating isn't it? What are you going to do?
  • Joehenny
    Options
    If you read the title I was posting for other people with my experience, not oh so holyier than thou eat more advocates without this experience.

Oh like a low calorie support group?
  • JAT74
    Options
    No actually, I wanted to hear from others who'd had similar experiences to me and who have reached the conclusion that they can't eat more and lose. I also wanted to hear some success stories.

People on here make out that there's one rule for all and it just isn't the case. They set people like me back months by encouraging them to do something which isn't right for their body.

You may think I want to eat less and I certainly don't but some of us have to do that. There are many MFP members like me who keep quiet as they're scared of the reaction they'll get from others on this forum but believe me I've had many messages from people who eat low calorie and lose weight, fat and continue weight training, do some cardio and end up looking great at the end. Many are under the supervision of personal trainers, nutritionists, doctors and what annoys me is many on here with no medical training think they know better than doctors.
  • Joehenny
    Options
    No actually, I wanted to hear from others who'd had similar experiences to me and who have reached the conclusion that they can't eat more and lose. I also wanted to hear some success stories.

People on here make out that there's one rule for all and it just isn't the case. They set people like me back months by encouraging them to do something which isn't right for their body.

You may think I want to eat less and I certainly don't but some of us have to do that. There are many MFP members like me who keep quiet as they're scared of the reaction they'll get from others on this forum but believe me I've had many messages from people who eat low calorie and lose weight, fat and continue weight training, do some cardio and end up looking great at the end. Many are under the supervision of personal trainers, nutritionists, doctors and what annoys me is many on here with no medical training think they know better than doctors.

Damn that's crazy. So you've linked up with a RD and they've diagnosed you with a slow metabolism?
  • JAT74
    Options
    No as I've said time and time again I am not in a position to do that but I am not stupid and know my own body. I've been logging calories and macros on here for months, taking advice by increasing calories and after months of eating up to 2000 calories per day all that's happened is I gained back the 1% body fat I lose initially and gained back the 4lbs I had lost in the beginning too.

No more weight loss, no more fat loss and all when burning off approximately 2500-3000 calories per week (being conservative).

I have given it over 4 months of listening to what works for others which is not exactly no time at all and now have reached this conclusion through staying at the same weight for a while by averaging 1600 calories per day. I therefore have concluded that my true TDEE including exercise is 1600 which I don't think is unrealistic and is certainly not an eating disorder amount of food to maintain on!

My goal IS to lose fat more than scale weight and for my health I can't afford to gain any more fat so in order to lose as has been said on here over and over again I have to create a deficit large enough to lose this fat hence eating less for a while, hopefully not too long.

What's so wrong with that? Just because your buff and don't have these problems good for you, maybe one day when I've stripped off the fat I can work on increasing my calories and building muscle but my goals for now are different.
  • Joehenny
    Options
    No as I've said time and time again I am not in a position to do that but I am not stupid and know my own body. I've been logging calories and macros on here for months, taking advice by increasing calories and after months of eating up to 2000 calories per day all that's happened is I gained back the 1% body fat I lose initially and gained back the 4lbs I had lost in the beginning too.

No more weight loss, no more fat loss and all when burning off approximately 2500-3000 calories per week (being conservative).

I have given it over 4 months of listening to what works for others which is not exactly no time at all and now have reached this conclusion through staying at the same weight for a while by averaging 1600 calories per day. I therefore have concluded that my true TDEE including exercise is 1600 which I don't think is unrealistic and is certainly not an eating disorder amount of food to maintain on!

My goal IS to lose fat more than scale weight and for my health I can't afford to gain any more fat so in order to lose as has been said on here over and over again I have to create a deficit large enough to lose this fat hence eating less for a while, hopefully not too long.

What's so wrong with that? Just because your buff and don't have these problems good for you, maybe one day when I've stripped off the fat I can work on increasing my calories and building muscle but my goals for now are different.

Um Op I never made any statement at all. I just asked what your bmr was.

2000 is kind of high for a woman though, that's almost my intake. I was at a plateau for awhile on super low cals too though, it sucked.

So your new intake will be 1200?
  • JAT74
    Options
    Joehenny

Sorry, just that I've had so many people who haven't read the things I've said and form conclusions that's all!

When I set MFP cals to lose weight and ate back exercise calories some days I was up to 2000-2100 and did that for a while before realising it was too much. Then I did TDEE -20% which ended up being about 1800 which again was too much for me. Then I gradually lowered and still didn't lose weight so here I am!

Yes I am trying 1250 calories this week and hopefully won't need to go any lower. How did you overcome your planteau?
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of points:

Do you wear a heart rate monitor when working out? You might be over-estimating calories burned. If you are doing the same kind of workout month after month, your body will become more efficient and burn fewer calories. So check how many calories you are REALLY burning to keep things more accurate. Try new kinds of workouts if you get in a rut.

I went to a really tame aerobics/weights class a few weeks ago and was shocked to have muscle aches the next day - because I did some exercises I never usually do! Try and work out some different muscle groups by playing tennis, ice skating or some other activities you never usually do.

You have been weight-lifting for a few weeks, so your muscles may contain more water and glycogen than usual. Have you been gradually increasing weights? As the muscles repair, the weight will drop off. Maybe you have noticed a slight change to your body shape? This means you are on the right track!

1% body fat increase is nothing to worry about unless you have been using some seriously high-tech machine to measure it. No scales are that accurate!

Work out your TDEE at sedentary level, take off 20%. THEN add in your exercise calories on a daily basis as accurately measured from each workout. See if this is in fact less than you were eating before.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yes, I've been wearing one religiously with every workout for at least 3 months. It's playing up now so haven't used it for about a week now need to get it looked at as it may be the battery. In addition I add up my total calorie burn for the week and subtract 20% to allow for overestimation anyway. so when I say I burn off 2500 calories it's actually over 3000 ish and if I burn less another week I'll do the same and eat less to make up for it.

I have changed my workouts a lot too. For the first 8 weeks I did Jillian Michaels body revolution which is a 12 DVD programme so the workouts changed every week anyway and there were 3 different workouts per week repeated twice each.

After that I switched to a hybrid of Insanity and weight lifting but then realised there were a lot of body weight exercises in Insanity so after 3-4 week changed to doing cardio in the gym twice a week using 3 different machines per workout and one day of walking for enjoyment at the weekends (1-2 hours each time). On top of that I've been lifting heavy weights for at least 7 or 8 weeks now and I change the exercises I do for each body part in every workout so my body doesn't get too used to the same routine.

I don't do outdoor sports because I don't like them except for skating and I get the odd knee problem so best to steer clear, plus I have time constraints so my home gym is the easiest option as I can fit it in when I have a few minutes free. I also have a pool I can use here from the end of this month so I'll start adding in swimming around twice a week.

Regarding the weights I do I have been increasing weights gradually yes, as often as I can manage it. Normally it's been every 2 weeks or so. My body shape isn't really changing much. The main change has been on my hips as I've had 4 inches off there over the 4 plus months on MFP but not much else from other body parts although my chest is looking more toned (but I've got very little fat there!).

In fact my calculations for TDEE (sedentary) are 1700-1900 according to various calculators which I believe is way overestimated based on my experience and lack of weight loss for several months eating according to those numbers plus exercise -20%. I'm now working off 1600 as my sedentary TDEE for that reason. I work out my total calories for the week which is 11,200, then add my calorie burn of 2500 for the week on top and then subtract enough to lose at least 1-1.5 lb per week from the total. I tried subtracting less ie. enough to lose just 0.5-1lb per week but it hasn't happened and I've lost nothing so that's why I've now lowered my total to average 1250 per day which should be enough to lose 1.5lb per week on paper but as I've not seen weight loss for a while it's possibly only enough to lose 1lb or less anyway in reality.
  • hardlyhappenstance
    Options
    I'll give you my experience for reference:

5' 1" 118.6 lbs

1200 calories per day

40 minutes of circuit training, 5 days per week

Sunday, no calorie counting (but behaving anyway)

So far, lost 2.5 lbs, looking to get to 105 (please, I'm really short)

I have started measuring my arms, neck, waist, bust, lower waist, hips and thighs and even when I don't "lose" weight, I AM losing inches! So, perhaps a little of that lack of weight loss is in that you are gaining muscle!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sorry I havent read this whole thread but just wondering, Do you still eat your exercise calories back? For the past 6 weeks i've been working to TDEE -20% but have not been eating my calories back. I burn between 7500-8000 calories a week and i've lost 18lbs of fat and numbers off the inches but increased my strength.

I really hope you find what the situation is and i know what works for one person doesn't for another.

My TDEE was calculated as 6 sessions a week rather than sedentary and i dont eat my calories back so even on my rest day i eat to maintenance which is still 20% off my TDEE tao aid weightloss
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is also 1700 ("little or no exercise") and I am finding the weight loss really slow like you. I think we are in the same boat!

I am eating 1280 a day net - so eat back my exercise calories for the day (anything up to an extra 400).
    TDEE - 20% would be 1360 but I think this is too much.

According to Fitness Pal this means I should be losing about 1 lb a week, and I think that - in the long run - this will be the case. I have upped my exercise to weight lifting x 1, Body Combat x 2, cross trainer x 1 and Body Step x 1 a week.

Over the first month I have barely lost anything, so the 1280 calories a day is not necessarily a recommendation but might be a good place to start.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The more I read of your thread OP, the more I find myself saying "ME TOO!". I have done all the things you have done. My fitness level went up, weight and BF% arent going down since I stopped the 1200 cal thing about 4 months ago.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello from Chicago! Thanks for the discussion.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just as an additional note your TDEE should be re calculated after every 5lb loss/ gain (depending on goal) Unlike MFP you DONT eat your calories back from exercise.