Drinking Alcohol

Options

Replies

• wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    depends if you have the willpower to just stick to one drink. i know i can't so stick to diet tonic water

i am now on day 114 without alcohol
    do i miss it? rarely but i did find myself sniffing my friends red wine last week at a book launch
    wearing a dress that was too big and highlighted my journey helped me to just stick to sniffing
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Roses Lime Juice is common, or just ask for sweetened lime juice. The official name is a Gimlet. You can use pretty much any liquor (tequila, rum, whiskey) and I find its very tasty with all of them.
    My go to cocktail is vodka with a splash of Roses Lime Juice. If I have the extra calories, I will use a cherry vodka. Vodka is about 60 cals and a splash of Roses goes a LONG way since it's concentrated. No more than a tablespoon can do the trick. Make sure to order it with a water back and you're golden! (and buzzed because technically its straight alcohol) lol

From the lushy fit chick lol
    I am not a pleasant person on Vodka, but will try this with some rum. Is Roses Lime Juice something that is commonly available?
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes its a Vodka Gimlet! I don't ask for it like that though because as a bartender, I sometimes get tripped up by the official "names" of things. Try not to do that to others lol. Even though Gimlet is one everyone should know lol
    My go to cocktail is vodka with a splash of Roses Lime Juice. If I have the extra calories, I will use a cherry vodka. Vodka is about 60 cals and a splash of Roses goes a LONG way since it's concentrated. No more than a tablespoon can do the trick. Make sure to order it with a water back and you're golden! (and buzzed because technically its straight alcohol) lol

From the lushy fit chick lol
    I am not a pleasant person on Vodka, but will try this with some rum. Is Roses Lime Juice something that is commonly available?

Isn't that a vodka gimlet? Yummy but potent. You'll finish it quickly because it comes in small glasses so consider that too.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    spirits and diet drinks or slimline tonic
  • srogers4avon
    Options
    130lbs gone & I still enjoy my Vodka. :drinker: With Diet Cranberry.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The only time I cut out alcohol was between the first two photos here.

I don't think enjoying my whiskey and wine has hurt me a bit.

RP55VQa.jpg?1
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The only time I cut out alcohol was between the first two photos here.

I don't think enjoying my whiskey and wine has hurt me a bit.

RP55VQa.jpg?1

It's not hurting me that's for sure !!!!! Good Job!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I gave up alcohol for the first 2 months I started my journey for the second time. Best decision I made. I was like you no kids, but after a long day of work I loved to have a glass or two of wine to end my day. Some days I had three. I came to the realization that alcohol was not helping. After 2 months I gradually let my self have a beer or glass of wine. I only drink really only on the weekends. Occasionally during the week depending on whats going on. I actually find that I don't enjoy drinking as much anymore lol.

Yup agreed, once you stop drinking, you don't miss it. It's an over rated vice in my opinion.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The best way to curb this behavior is to quit completely. It's better for your health and your wallet. With addictive substances, it is very hard to moderate.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The best way to curb this behavior is to quit completely. It's better for your health and your wallet. With addictive substances, it is very hard to moderate.

you must be fun at parties.
  • mongolianfireoil
    Options
    I will politely disagree with the "no good alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight" theory.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, all while drinking a glass or two of red wine a night. On the weekends, I might even enjoy a martini or some bourbon. As long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I'm good.

Cheers! :drinker:

what she said.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm a super health nut from mon-fri and then I turn into Keith Richards on the weekends.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Look at your grocery store for flavored club sodas. ( I can find them at Safeway). I'm in love with the berry one. My favorite drink right now is citrus vodka with a splash of lemon juice, berry club soda and a fresh squeezed lemon or lime wedge. Yum!! Super refreshing on a hot day! Party on :drinker:

Edited to say I used to be ONLY a beer drinker.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, which may already have been given, is to figure out the calorie info on your drink of choice and work it into your daily goals. You might also try one drink, one water to help spread your consumption out, but still have something in your hand through out the night.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I simply mark down my drink at the beginning of the day and then move on with the rest of my caloric intake from there. I may switch it up on occasion from an Imperial Pint of Guinness to 8 ounces of wine or 12 ounces of a good IPA, but there's nearly always something there. I consider it my "dessert."
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    shots, or if you wanna just have your wine or beer, just limit yourself to one or two and work it into your goals. I have never kid myself by saying im gonna stop drinking, thats just a joke. You deserve to enjoy it when you want to!

I politely beg to differ. The whole "I deserve it" mentality is what got some of us in this mess in the first place. I "deserved" that ice cream, and burrito, and margarita, and so on. If you're dedicated to wellness, then perhaps it's less about *rewarding* oneself (again... coming from a girl with a complicated relationship with food and alcohol) and more about enjoying the best glass of wine you can afford.

At that point it's less about the lowest-calorie buzz we "deserve" and more of a healthy relationship with a cultural norm that we can appreciate in moderation.

I for one am not giving up or sacrificing anything I enjoy to lose weight. In the end we have to enjoy our lives and not feel that the lifestyle is a punishment. It's all about balances. I wanna have a beer tonight, I need to move more to earn it. So yeah rewards are the spice of life. It's the people who cut things out entirely that will have the biggest challenges maintaining in the end... JMO

Amen!
    This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and I know I can never give up booze.

Just as many other people, I usually save some calories for my wine at home at night and on the weekends, I usually workout a lot more to be able to drink til my little heart's desire....I've lost 18lbs so far in about a month and a half and I'm pretty damn happy.

Bottoms up! :drinker:
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There are no "good" alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight. However, like you have already hinted at, moderation is the key. A drink here or there isn't going to hurt you.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-can-you-booze-it-and-still-lose-it.html

I'd say drink what you like, but like you said, keep it to special occasions and limit it to 1-2 drinks.

Thanks for this link. I don't drink very often, or very much when I do have drinks, but when I do...lately, I've been drinking Woodchuck Cider "Crisp" variety. It is 120 cal. per bottle, 9 g sugar, 10 g carb, and only 3.2 % alcohol by vol.
    http://beerpulse.com/2011/11/woodchuck-crisp-gets-its-own-6-pack/
    Like I said, I don't drink very often...maybe once a month or less...usually concerts or other special events with friends. Then it is usually only 2 to 4 drinks. I'm not into hard liquor. I like beer, cider, or wine, but I'm trying to limit my intake of grain based foods, so the cider is fitting the bill, instead of beer. :)
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm at 10% bodyfat and I drink my *ss off on the weekends.

I just log it and stay in a deficit.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I will politely disagree with the "no good alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight" theory.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, all while drinking a glass or two of red wine a night. On the weekends, I might even enjoy a martini or some bourbon. As long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I'm good.

Cheers! :drinker:

Cheers RushBabe!
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm a super health nut from mon-fri and then I turn into Keith Richards on the weekends.

hahahah - nice :laugh: