Hummus Help Please

Options
bobbinseed
bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
I recently tried hummus for the first time and fell in love with the rich creamy flavor! I am so sad it took me 38 years to try it! It is a really filling and satisfying snack. It really sticks with you and helps curb those mid-afternoon cravings.
I am looking for some tried and true great tasting recipes and ideas of different ways to eat it. I have seen them with pita chips and pretzels and I have been eating them as a veggie dip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:glasses:

Replies

• Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recently tried hummus for the first time and fell in love with the rich creamy flavor! I am so sad it took me 38 years to try it! It is a really filling and satisfying snack. It really sticks with you and helps curb those mid-afternoon cravings.
    I am looking for some tried and true great tasting recipes and ideas of different ways to eat it. I have seen them with pita chips and pretzels and I have been eating them as a veggie dip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:glasses:

You can use it instead of mayo in sandwiches.

I use a recipe that i found.

2 cans of chickpeas
    1/2 cup of Tahini
    1/4 cup of Olive oil
    Paprika
    Lemon ( depends on how tangy you want it, use at least 1 )
    And also depending on how much garlic you want. I use like 3 or 4 depending on the size.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    where do you get your tahini?
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am new to hummus too and also fell in love. I have used pita chips, pretzel crisp, carrots and celery so far. So I will be interested in everyones ideas also.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    where do you get your tahini?

I get it from Stater Bros. Its here in California. Dont know if you know it or not.
  • yourmomdude
    yourmomdude Posts: 33
    Options
    I am a hummus connoisseur! This is the best recipe I've found: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

You should try to use dried chickpeas. You can cook them in a crockpot if you don't want think about it--it just takes forever and you need to use a TON of water. Save the water to enhance soups and to add to the hummus if you need a bit more liquid. You can find dried chickpeas at most grocery stores--maybe in the Mexican section if not with regular beans. Less sodium, too.

Also, it seems crazy, but peeling the chickpeas seriously makes your hummus SOOOO much smoother. It tastes like the kind from the store.
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's great on wraps! Try it with turkey or a veggie wrap. The same idea as the guy who said you can use it to replace mayo on sandwiches.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try hummus variations, too - lately I've taken to making it with zucchini instead of chickpeas for a different (yet similar) flavor. I also use it in place of salad dressing. :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of mayo in tuna sandwiches (especially supremely spicy hummus), it's also good mixed with scrambled eggs
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing ever is home made hummus. Here is a recipe for home made edamame hummus for some extra protein and a twist on the flavor.

3/4 cup cooked edamame
    2 cups spinach
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 cup tahini
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2tbsp grapeseed oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp tamari
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Then just throw it in a food processor and VOILA! Yummy home made healthy hummus :)
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sabra Supremely Spicy is the BEST! I like it in a sandwich ... whole wheat pita, spread the spicy hummus on it, layer baby spinach leaves, chopped persian cucumber and tomatoes ... delicious!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My sister makes the best sandwiches with hummus: Grainy brown bread, hummus, cheese, tomato paste, spinach leaves. I like hummus on toast for breakfast - with slices of avocado or cherry tomatoes sometimes. You might like falafel as well - hummus, falafel, salad with a tahini dressing in a thin wrap is a pretty awesome lunch...
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Jaybeebug
    Jaybeebug Posts: 3
    Options
    I put hummus on any kind of crispbread (Ryvita) and then a few slices of cucumber on top. Yummy!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes. Edamame instead of chick peas give it a bit of a sweet flavor.

(from skinnytaste.com)

Edamame is more commonly known as a soybean. In Asia, soybeans have been used for over two thousand years as a major source of protein. The pods are lightly boiled in salted water, and then the seeds are squeezed directly from the pods into the mouth with the fingers. Using soybeans instead of chickpeas to make this hummus I guess you can say is Asian-Middle Eastern fusion. Serve this as a dip or for lunch with crudites for a low carb meal.

Edamame Hummus
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 107.4 • Fat: 6.7 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 3.8 g • Protein: 6.1 g • Sugar: 0.5 g Sodium: 11.4 mg

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups edamame (green soy beans) cooked and shelled
    2 tbsp tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
    1/4 cup water plus more if needed
    1 tsp lemon zest
    juice of one lemon
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Kosher salt to taste
    pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    black and white sesame seeds as a garnish (optional)
    Directions:
    In a food processor, blend soy beans, tahini, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 tsp olive oil until smooth. Add more water if needed until consistency is smooth. Place in a bowl and top with remainder oil and sesame seeds. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Try slicing cucumbers and tomatoes as dipping tools - DELICIOUS.
  • nrussell34
    nrussell34 Posts: 4
    Options
    Make your own. Toast 5 cups of sesame seeds @ 350º for 5-10 minutes. Let them cool, then pour into a food processor with 1 1/2 cups olive oil.
  • wadair
    wadair Posts: 31
    Options
    Hummus is a staple in my house ... and I make my own. I've added everything from sauteed onions to roasted cauliflower. Be creative ... and whip up your own!
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    Supremely spicy is the best
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Black bean hummus

INGREDIENTS:
    1 clove garlic
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add black beans, 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste. Garnish with paprika