What are people's true thoughts of "strong women"?

Options

Replies

• Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    If you go to the gym at the same time everyday you tend to become friends with the people who like what you like.
    We all work out together in the classes and also do stuff outside of the gym. 3 of my mfp friends are from my gym
    and we plan our workouts via this site. I love the strong women and during body pump they are acknowledged as
    mentors to others.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I never realized that the gym was a social place. All these gym posts about people being rude or mean are foreign to me. I don't talk to anyone at the gym. I walk in, scan my card, smile at the desk person because I have my earbuds in and go workout. It's not because I am a b*tch, it's because I am not there to socailize.

Why are you taking this personally?

ETA: I consider myself to be pretty awesome and people don't talk to me either. I never think it's because they think I am scary or intimidating, they are just doing their own thing.

QFT. Literally SO TIRED of people focusing on the bad stuff. Do I get weirdly hit on at the gym? Yes. Do people look at me sideways sometimes? Sure. I recognize that 99.5% of the people of the gym though are just like me - they want to get in, do their workout, and get out - not socialize beyond a smile or a hello.

I generally think we all need to stop victimizing ourselves so much (and i'm not so much talking about the OP, I've seen like 5-6 threads on this today). This thinking applies to most of life, whether it's diet/exercise/your job/how you raise your children/etc.

Go into the gym/eat healthy/put your head down/kick *kitten* at work. Worry less about what others think. And if you're going to worry, focus on the good that surrounds you rather than the 1 or 2 "bad apples". They shouldn't spoil it for the whole bunch.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    I love a big strong independant woman who dont need no man
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to talk with people at my gym...but after being a regular there for a while I have discovered a sort of community there. I don't stand around and chat because I have 90 minutes of work to do and then my regular day outside the gym, but I occasionally get one of the guys saying stuff like "you're a beast!" and that makes me feel awesome. I even kind of like watching men lift less weight than me. lol It makes me feel accomplished.

I am lucky at my gym - it is small and quiet and mostly those who attend are as serious as I am about getting my sweat on.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    you didn't.
    They just became gym wimps.

this is true.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree I am not at the gym to socialize, I have been fortunate that the men in the gym have been very respectful and polite since I started going to the weight area. I go in, focus and leave.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ya why do you want to talk at the gym anyway? if you are interested in someone, go say hi with a smile and not with attitude. if they dont want to talk, dont take it personally.

Just lift with a smile. If you have a mean face while you deadlift a gazillion pounds, then you will be the muscle lady. With cats.

Can I have dogs instead???
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    ya why do you want to talk at the gym anyway? if you are interested in someone, go say hi with a smile and not with attitude. if they dont want to talk, dont take it personally.

Just lift with a smile. If you have a mean face while you deadlift a gazillion pounds, then you will be the muscle lady. With cats.

Can I have dogs instead???

You are always breaking the mold, so yeah, exception for you! Muscle lady. With dogs. Woof!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking this. I have found that lifters are pretty awesome people when among others with similar training philosophies and positive attitudes. But they also tend to be pretty hardcore when they're in the gym, and the only interaction they care to have is when asking or being asked for a spot. I am one of those people. It's not that I'm scared of anyone. I just feel like I get a better, more productive training session when I am dialed in on the task at hand and not being expected to chat up everyone around me.

As for what people think of "strong women," if you are mostly talking about men, I think you're going to get the same answer here as on the threads asking about body type preferences. Some men love strong women, some prefer the weak and fragile type, some prefer something in between. But I suspect no man prefers a woman who is insecure.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Noone knows for sure what someone else is thinking, but is it possible this might be a little projection of insecurities. When I go to the gym, I don't talk to anyone. I put my headphones in and workout. I might nod and smile and say hello, but other than that...

I am not really intimidated by male or female at the gym. There are two people at my gym who lift, those stronger and more muscular than me and those weaker and less muscular. I assume none are looking to physically assault me.

If i see a woman working out, I don't really think of anything other than, "good for her".

Idk...I'm 6'4 220 though so maybe others think differently but unless people clear out and duck when you walk by I don't think this is an issue.

ETA: Also, be careful what you wish for. I am predicting the 65 year old creeper guy (every gym has one) will be visiting you to offer a form critique as some sort of karmic response to this topic. :laugh:
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Although I am not particularly strong or muscular, I am often told I am intimidating. My husband says it is my "business mode."

I am extremely focused on anything I am doing and tend to give off a "don't approach me" attitude. It usually isn't a problem because I'm not trying to make friends - but if I want to be approachable, I have to focus on being approachable. Otherwise, I seem like I am all business.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" with a fairly strong looking build. I box.
    The women in my class tend to steer clear of me.
    Lots of the men do too.

But you know what? I take it as a compliment. I am strong. When I'm boxing, I look strong, powerful, kick *kitten*, and ALIVE. I also look a little wild, and aggressive, sweaty, and maybe a bit crazed.

Who cares! I FEEL great!

Yes, I intimidate people (they tell me this :laugh:), but their loss, not mine. The ones who take the time to know me, realize that I am gentle and compassionate and loving too. Those ones are the keepers.

Dust the rest off, do your workout, and keep going.

p.s. you do look fantastic

^ This.
  • ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I am at the gym, I usually don't get spoken to or speak to anyone unless it's, "Hey, are you finished with that?" or "Can you help me with something real quick?" That woman who cowered from you may have been hit recently-after my boyfriend accidently hit me in the face with his elbow I flinched often for a while.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    This may come across as sexist in some way BUT men have been working out at the gym forever and have learned how to interact. Be considerate, ask if they are done with bench, wipe off your sweat, be polite etc etc. No unncessary eye contact. Most guys at my gym are looking at the mirror while they lift. Women should do that same. If you feel you are 'intimidating', it may be in your head.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    At my gym, men are "scared" of me.
    How do you know this?
    One women "cowarded" away from and moved away from me during kickboxing class. I was not even that close to hitting/ kicking her.
    How do you know she was moving away out of fear?
    I even told her that I can control my kicks and punches and will NEVER hurt her.
    Maybe your "I'm so strong, but you shouldn't be scared or intimidated of me" aura is what turns people away.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not one of the superfits at the gym. Until recently I spent most of my time in the hamster wheel room. So one day I'm skulking up to a hamster wheel when this maybe 5'9" guy comes around the corner, and I stopped and almost turned around. His arms were as thick as my thighs and pure muscle. For a moment, just a moment, I was intimidated. I still have no idea what this mini-hulk was doing in the cardio room. On a cut maybe?

The reason they shy away from you is they are intimidated by you. Be friendly with them. Smile more. Let them know there's nothing to be afraid of.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Girls with muscles and strength?! Gross!

What's next? Women with brains?!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

ruqRq3R.gif
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

ruqRq3R.gif

What if I have both?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

ruqRq3R.gif

What if I have both?

Then you are a liar!