Frustrated because I stay hungry

Options
I stay hungry, I don't know what to do to feel full. I had a green smoothie for breakfast along with two hard boiled eggs, then for lunch I had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. For snacks in between both, I had like 15 Special K Cracker Chips and 6 Tricuits. Thank god it's almost dinner time because I feel so hungry, but if I ate anymore I would go over my calories for the day.

Replies

• KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It would help if you would make your diary public so we can see what you're eating. How many calories are you eating per day? What kind of calories are you eating per day? Are you exercising? Are you eating those calories back?

Eating a lot of low-fat, fat-free, low-cal weight-loss food will inevitably leave you hungry because there's very little nutrition in these things. Try to eat full fat cheese, yogurt, dressing, etc... and things like peanut butter, avocado, high-fiber foods....these will help you feel fuller. If you're at 1200 cals per day, maybe this is too few for you. You could try starting at 1700 or 1500 and working your way down. If you're exercising and not eating your calories back, you need to be. Hope some of this is helpful
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Up the fiber, fats and protein! Maybe instead of the sandwich for lunch have a big salad with cut up chicken on it. Instead of the crackers and cracker chips as a snack have some celery with peanut butter, greek yogurt, apples with peanut butter, etc. Instead of the smoothie eat the actual fruits.

How much water are you drinking? Far too often we are actually thirsty when we feel hungry. Sometimes the body sends the wrong signals.

Also, ensure you are eating enough calories.
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day? Your diary is private, so I can't look myself. Just based on the simple bmr calculator, your body burns 1544 calories just to do nothing. That means no getting out of bed etc. I would re assess your caloric needs, because you shouldn't honestly feel hungry. Add a bit more protein in your diet, too. This will help loads with keeping you feeling satisfied.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber help you feel full. Good fats help you feel satiated. Fluids keep you hydrated.

Make sure you are netting enough calories for your height, weight, age and activity level. Also, the less-processed your food is, the more you can eat and stay within your calorie range.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Replace some of your carbs with lean protein. I find I stay full longer when I eat lean, protein rich foods like chicken breast, pork tenderloin, flank steak, tuna.

For example, your peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be replaced by a chicken breast and have less fat, carbs and more protein. Pair it up with a nice salad or green veggie and you'll eat more food by weight and take in fewer calories and not spike your blood sugar with simple carbs.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you need to eat "real food" and more of it. Ditch the diet stuff! Also, what goes into your green smoothies? Besides spinach, of course. :tongue: Any protein?

Also agree with the others that it would be easier to give advice if you could make your diary public. :smile:
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When you blend fruits into smoothies, the fiber is manually broken down, and you get decreased benefits from the fruit fiber.

Fiber slows down digestion of the glucose in fruits.

The glucose from the fruits goes into your blood stream a lot quicker when you take your fruit in the form of a smoothie.

Your pancreas reacts to this flood of glucose by pumping out a lot of insulin.

Insulin allows your body cells to take up the glucose but if there is is excessive glucose the fat cells store the energy.

Your blood sugar goes down and you feel hungry a lot sooner.

Fruits/vegetables are not equal in terms of glycemic index (how much they stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin).

There are low glycemic fruits/vegetables (strawberries, berries, lettuces, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes) and high glycemic fruits/vegetables (pineapple, mangoes, potatoes, peas, corn).

Increase your nonstarchy vegetable intake and lean proteins at every meal, I guarantee you will feel fuller.
  • fighttheurge39
    Options
    more veggies and fruit do the trick for me. I eat cooked frozen mixed vegetables with some spices on them and i snack on 1 grapefruit all day too. Protein works wonders as well. I eat egg whites and spinach and breakfast and that fills me until my 1st snack in the morning. Drink loooots of water too :)
  • bettebadass
    Options
    I would maybe add a piece of fruit or salad to your lunch like others have said, that will give you fullness without adding a bunch of empty calories. But also keep in mind, especially if these are new changes in your lifestyle (you know the dreaded "D" word), that your body will need some time to make some adjustments. For lack of better description your body goes through withdrawals when you cut your calories. Stay with it, it may take a couple of weeks for the body to get used to it, but it will.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The only "filling"foods you ate were the hard boiled eggs and PB.Stay away from crackers that wont fuel you up! Eat greek yogurt too and some lean meats!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    HI, how is your water intake? I find more filling food like Oatmeal hold me over longer, eggs do not keep me full. I eat fruits and raw veggiesthat help too! Friend me if you like I too am 48 yrs old.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When you blend fruits into smoothies, the fiber is manually broken down, and you get decreased benefits from the fruit fiber.

Fiber slows down digestion of the glucose in fruits.

The glucose from the fruits goes into your blood stream a lot quicker when you take your fruit in the form of a smoothie.

Your pancreas reacts to this flood of glucose by pumping out a lot of insulin.

Insulin allows your body cells to take up the glucose but if there is is excessive glucose the fat cells store the energy.

Your blood sugar goes down and you feel hungry a lot sooner.

Fruits/vegetables are not equal in terms of glycemic index (how much they stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin).

There are low glycemic fruits/vegetables (strawberries, berries, lettuces, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes) and high glycemic fruits/vegetables (pineapple, mangoes, potatoes, peas, corn).

:ohwell: Where are the experts? Is this true?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Is this for real? I know that juicing removes those benefits, but I thought that if you use the whole fruit, not just the juice, you get the benefits. Obviously you are mixing everyting up into a drinkable form, but everything is still in there....isn't it? I've never heard this before. I have a smoothie almost every day with fruit (frozen), plain greek yogurt and flax seed. Its the main way I get my fruit nutrients, especially berries, in.... Am I wasting my time?
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that, but now I eat more protien. Things like fish and boneless, skinless chicken are super low in calories but leave you feeling full longer.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's about choices. I would be starving on the food you described. I avoid drinking my food. I like to eat! You can eat a huge healthy salad until it is coming out your ears and have less calories than a PB&J and be satisfied. Crackers? No way. It is recommended to eat some good protein for your breakfast.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bread and crackers are wasted calories. Have a quinoa salad with fruits and veggies or a salad topped with baked chicken breast and healthy dressing. From what you listed, you basically don't get much by way of whole, unprocessed foods - increase them. There should ideally be little to no processed stuff in your diary. The more processed stuff you eat, the longer you will remain hungry and the higher your sodium intake.

That being said, what does your water intake look like? How much exercise are you doing, what kind and do you eat the calories back? What is your caloric goal vs your expenditure?
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, and a few years older. I've made steady, albeit slow progress on 1500 cal/ day. Sometimes I don't eat all of them, sometimes I eat back exercise calories and sometimes I don't. I'm rarely hungry and when I am I usually need to eat. If you'd like to see my diary, send a friend request.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Is this for real? I know that juicing removes those benefits, but I thought that if you use the whole fruit, not just the juice, you get the benefits. Obviously you are mixing everyting up into a drinkable form, but everything is still in there....isn't it? I've never heard this before. I have a smoothie almost every day with fruit (frozen), plain greek yogurt and flax seed. Its the main way I get my fruit nutrients, especially berries, in.... Am I wasting my time?

I don't know the truth behind the statement, but if you're eating ground flax seed that's providing some fibre.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is just my theory. Most people get hungry after eating breakfast because when you start eating, you release a hormone that makes you want to eat until your stomach is full. Your body and stomach does not have a calculator built inside of it to divide your calories throughout the day. When you eat a small breakfast, it's only natural for you to want to eat until you are full. Most fitness pros that eat 5 meals a day get around this natural urge to eat until you are full by drinking 1 or 2 full glasses of water before every single meal, no exceptions. However, there is something else you can do that doesn't require you to forcefully shove water down your throat every few hours. It is simply, skipping breakfast and lunch or just skipping breakfast. Eat a bigger meal later in the day so you can avoid being hungry all day long.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This information is from the book "Fat Chance-Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity and Disease" by Robert H. Lustig MD who is "an internationally renowned pediatric endocrinologist....spent 16 years treating childhood obesity and studying the effects of sugars on the central nervous system, metabolism and disease. He is the director of Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health Program at UCSC (University of California at San Francisco) Benioff Children's Hospital, and member of Obesity Task Force of the Endocrine Society.

So, yes I would say he is an expert.

This is a direct quote from the book:

"One current fad is to juice the entire fruit into a "smoothie"." "The problem is that the shearing action of the blender blades completely destroys the insoluble fiber of the fruit. The cellulose is torn to smithereens. While the soluble fiber is still there, and can help move food through the intestine faster, it now does not have the "latticework" of the insoluble fiber to help form the intestinal barrier. The sugar in the fruit will be absorbed just as fast as if the juice were strained with no fiber at all. You need both types of fiber to derive the beneficial effects."

He also has a 90 min YouTube video called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth".