What worked for me is probably the answer for you!

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I have nothing against healthy eating, but making a candy bar equivalent to drinking Draino really irks me. This all or nothing mentality is the reason so many of us are fat already.

Also, what worked for you, works for you, not me. Don't be so self righteous please.

I never said you cant have a candy bar, If you paid attention you would see that I eat 80% clean and enjoy treats 20% of the time which is why I eat candy, in n out and other yummie things every now and again. I am not being self righteous I am simply stating facts. The point of the post was to encourage food addicts such as myself to change the way they are thinking about food and to realize that a lot of the foods that we are putting into our bodies are not "healthy" as the food manufactures lead you to believe and that we can take control of our bodies and minds (which food addiction is as much a mind struggle as it is a physical one) but I understand that being closed minded and defensive is a common reaction for someone to have when they don't fully understand something.

***NO MORE TROLLS PLEASE! I never used unkind, angry or harsh tones in my original post I would accept the same with your comments/concerns. I am an open minded individual who can argue my opinion while still respecting others side of things and would appreciate the same. Sorry if you take offense to my post or the topic title, if you do I encourage you not to read it :tongue:

I'm not entirely convinced that you can be an open minded individual who can argue your opinion white still respecting the others side of things, considering you accused her of being a troll for disagreeing with you. :huh:

I didnt call them a troll for disagreeing with me i called them a troll for saying that I am self righteous because that clearly was not my tone for this thread. Oh well it wasnt for them then if it didnt strike a cord :)
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    How in the world do you feed 4 people on 200/month? Please share your secrets! :-D

And I think this post is a great idea. Definitely make sense

I was thinking the same thing!! We have a fmaily of three and get $450.00 a month in aide, we shop at ralphs, trader joes and fresh and easy along with the regular market for certain things.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but not the post where you call someone a troll for pointing out that what works for you doesn't work for everyone.

As i said before the troll comment was directed towards calling me self righteous because that was not my tone or intention in the post, this post was meant for people like me who where struggling with food addiction and what is working for me in my journey, Ive gottin so many PMs and positive feedback from those people and the ones who this doesn't pertain to, thats okay but they dont need to put me down on my thread you know :)
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Yep. That's all that really needs to be said.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    OP, just so we're clear, are you saying this is "what worked" for you, or "what is working" for you?

Because regardless of what many will inevitably scream in response to my post, I believe there is a difference.

Well i guess both because I've lost 46lbs so far which would indicate has worked and am currently working on the last 19 which I believe is working for me :) Great clarification question, thanks for being interested.. Guess I should have worded my topic heading better probably would have saved myself a lot of heat :laugh:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Ooo, I haven't had a Snicker's in a long time! I'm going to get one tomorrow!
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you! Great informative post!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I saw that show. It had a lot of good points. Lucky for me, I already like many different fruits & veggies. Mainly, I've just had to cut back on the treats and the "food like products," and keep an accurate count of my calories.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to watching the film. I still eat processed foods, but I am interested in making my choices more healthy. Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love your post and agree with it wholeheartedly. I eat clean about 80% of the time and feel so much better. I have cut out almost all of the add in(preservatives etc) Was labeled a picky eater by my coworkers because I don't eat fast food that much any more. And it it because I don't want all the fat, salt etc that is in it. Eat what this earth gives you and you will be healthy and feel better, eat what man makes up and you will feel like crap
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Options
    When I had walking pneumonia this past March, I ate takeout and fast food almost every day and still lost weight every single week. Granted, I went with the healthiest options available, but I'm j/s.

When your sick your body works overtime - its why people are usually soo tired. Eating extra calories is usually needed, extra protein to help fix any damage.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Just curious how you can afford organic fruits and veggies and grass-fed beef on food stamps. I don't buy processed food, junk food, prepared food, whatever you call it and I rarely eat out. I also have a decent food budget for 1 person ($300/month) but even I can't afford grass-fed beef and all-organic.

We have a strict budget of $105 a week which is $420 a month, as you will see I said most of our food is the best quality where we can get it, I've learned to buy Ralph's or Trader Joe's meat when it's on clearance and prepare it that same night for dinner. We shop a lot more often about every two or three days in small amounts vs the old weigh every two weeks in large bulk. We have learned to scale back in the meat/dairy product all together and don't consume nearly that much of either anymore we stick to plant based proteins, seeds and beans. We only buy organic for the dirty dozen which you can read about here- http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214 and we grow many seasonal fruits and veggies ourselves in pots on our apartment porch :) my son loves it, it teaches him to be responsible and about nature, I love it because it's cheap!! We eat seasonally and we menu plan our foods. We also learned to utilize what's in our cupboard or fridge to eliminate waste and work with whats on sale or clearance for the days meals. Other than that we also buy in bulk when we can and we buy a lot of our fruits/veggies frozen (the ones we use in smoothies or to cook with like spinach I would but in a stir fry). Anyone who is interested can check out this site, she did an experiment with her family, eating clean and living off an amount per week that is less then food stamps- http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/100-days-on-a-budget/

I also want to point out that we don't buy a lot of the convenience foods that other households buy, we make our own condiments (like ranch, bbq sauce, salad dressings, humus), soups, lunches etc. so that actually saves us a lot of $ you would be surprised how much a lunch able cost is vs. breaking up the cost of my sons homemade "mom-able" I make him

Thanks so much for asking because it is one of my biggest passions to get people who are low income to realize that they don't have to settle for crap and can eat well with the right knowledge and a whole lot of effort and patience (it was def. trial and error for us)
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    When I had walking pneumonia this past March, I ate takeout and fast food almost every day and still lost weight every single week. Granted, I went with the healthiest options available, but I'm j/s.

When your sick your body works overtime - its why people are usually soo tired. Eating extra calories is usually needed, extra protein to help fix any damage.

Great point! :) Also again I would like to point out that my post was meant for people who struggle with food addiction (like I did) and feel chained to the diet cycle (as I once was) and about overall health because I have a lot of cancer in my family genes its especially important to me that I feed my body nutrients that will combat disease:smile:
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Yep. That's all that really needs to be said.

That was my main point lol Eat whole REAL food that has nutritional value and be aware of what your putting in your body, educate yourself and take control thats it didn't realize this post would get soooo off subject and misunderstood yikes :noway:
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I really enjoyed that documentary too. But I think the biggest problem we have with staying on diets is making them too complicated. I'm never going to write all that down, stick exclusively to it, and eat the same thing the rest of my life. I aplaude the juicers but dang... no way.

I like MFP because the simple fact is, if you consume less calories than you burn (unless you push yourself into starvation mode) you're going to loose weight. End of story, no memorization, no life time restrictions, this is a lifestyle I can stick with, not a drawn out step by step list of work to do that will make me feel guilty when I fail at it.

I will take down some of those meals and incorporate them though. I'm always looking for delicious meals. :)

Glad I encourage you a bit :) I understand what your saying it can be overwhelming sorting out the information and getting started but I found some great resources and just ran with it. What really convinced me to change was that my four year old was having behavorial issues in preschool and chronic constipation, a week after changing our diets his constipation was gone and his behavioral issues are dramatically reduced. It just clicked to me, you get out of your body and life what you put in :) I do think it's sustainable. I couldnt juice or do smoothies for the rest of my life but I can eat clean 80% of the time for the rest of my life.

I want to say again we still eat processed food from time to time, we enjoy an in n out burger or an ice cream cone and if we go to someones house we eat what they are serving and on special ocassions we go to restaurants and we enjoy whats on the menu thats what makes this sustainable and something that could be a reality for the rest of our lives and yes my husband and I will enjoy a class of wine (or three hehe) and a beer every now and then but we do it in moderation just like everyone else here :)

I would like to say if you are interested in clean eating but feel overwhelmed or think it's to hard please check out the following sites and click on their getting started sections or if you don't understand the concept check out their clean eating defined sections (they say it so much better then I can) - http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/start-here/ http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "clean" particularly, but I quickly discovered that by eating single ingredient foods (essentially clean), you can eat a buttload of food on 1240 calories a day. I lost the bulk of my weight that way. AND I WASN'T EVER HUNGRY EXCEPT RIGHT BEFORE IT WAS TIME TO EAT. I wasn't rigid. I had Mexican food and birthday cake and all the normal stuff that real life presents. But if you're hungry on the calorie count you're eating - whatever that number might be (and assuming that number has been sanctioned by someone with nutrition knowledge as mine was ) it's because you're wasting your calories on 100 calorie snack packs and crackers and other garbage that eats up your calories but leave you feeling empty.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I don't eat "clean" particularly, but I quickly discovered that by eating single ingredient foods (essentially clean), you can eat a buttload of food on 1240 calories a day. I lost the bulk of my weight that way. AND I WASN'T EVER HUNGRY EXCEPT RIGHT BEFORE IT WAS TIME TO EAT. I wasn't rigid. I had Mexican food and birthday cake and all the normal stuff that real life presents. But if you're hungry on the calorie count you're eating - whatever that number might be (and assuming that number has been sanctioned by someone with nutrition knowledge as mine was ) it's because you're wasting your calories on 100 calorie snack packs and crackers and other garbage that eats up your calories but leave you feeling empty.

Thats awesome I'm so glad you found success :) for me it was not only about the weight loss but after a fair amount of research about the chemicals and preservatives that are in these foods and the causes they have on us (like the food dies that can cause adhd in children) which is why I chose clean eating but we still enjoy our fair share of birthday cake and mexican food (certainly margaritas :drinker:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you feed 4 people on 200/month? Please share your secrets! :-D

And I think this post is a great idea. Definitely make sense

I was thinking the same thing!! We have a fmaily of three and get $450.00 a month in aide, we shop at ralphs, trader joes and fresh and easy along with the regular market for certain things.

We have help to currently and I have a family of four to feed,I find that buying frozen fruit,canned veggies helps to stretch and when on sale buy fresh, I love fruit and veggies and my youngest does too, but my oldest ya right whats a veggie doing on her plate lol,We shop walmart,marcs,save a lot,aldis perhaps and use coupons when we can.Fruit and veggies dont last long so frozen keeps longer and we have a deep freezer to which was given to us.

and of course family memebers sometimes have food they dont need or want too which helps .

With what we are getting currently we only need to buy groceries once a month ,end of month comes time to stock up again.

Very thankful for help.