Hummus Help Please

Options

Replies

• danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I rarely eat sandwiches, but I love ham with hummus, or I've even made a chicken salad with it when I realized I was out of mayo as I was making lunch before work and it was rather good. Just try it on everything. I love it, I had to cut it out of my diet for a while, I was working with a dietician to help with a health issue and have been on a bland restricted diet for 6 months now, but it's about time to try and reintroduce it. About once every 2-3 weeks I can reintroduce something and see if it causes any issues. I can't complain too much though, I have lost a bunch of weight as a side effect
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    where do you get your tahini?

Since where I live ( Mexico City ) Tahini is very expensive, but Sesame seeds are much cheaper and much easier to get, I make my own Tahini.

Take a given amount of sesame seeds and slowly toast them to a pale golden or golden brown on a medium hot pan, moving them constantly so they won't scorch.
    Put the seeds in a blender and start to blend adding good quality oil to the mix until you get the required consistency. As a pinch of sea salt......ready !
    Last week I added grape seed oil. I don't use olive oil, because I think it is too strong and overshadows the delicate flavor of Tahini.
    I make btw. Hummus without Tahini, but add sesame seeds to the garbanzos when I blend them with either the garbanzo water ( I cook my own ) or a few drops of a vegetable broth concentrate in some water.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! I use it instead of pizza sauce to make pita pizzas.

1 whole wheat pita
    2 t. hummus
    1/8 c. marinated artichoke hearts, diced
    1/4 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/8 c. sundried tomatoes chopped
    1/4 c. light finely shredded cheese
    1/8 c. thin sliced sweet onion

Broil until cheese melts.

Approximately 250 calories

Slainte! :drinker:
  • CindylouGB
    CindylouGB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get the plain Sabra hummus and mix in chopped up Hot Giardinaire to give it a bit of a kick...Pretty much eat it every day.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly, but one of the ways I use hummus is as a kind of 'glue' for broken tortilla chips (lol)... ;)

...by the time I get to the bottom of a bag of organic blue corn tortilla chips, there are inevitably a bunch of small and not-exactly-small-but-still-nowhere-near-original-size pieces of 'former intact chips' -- 'chip debris', if you will -- and I like to put some hummus in a bowl, drop in the 'chip bits', stir it all together, and then use *that* as a spread (with its extra compatible-in-taste 'crunch factor')... though sometimes I simply spread it 'on' a stack of a few slices of roast turkey, and then 'roll it up', for a snack with some fun 'crunch'... ;)
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Black bean hummus

INGREDIENTS:
    1 clove garlic
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add black beans, 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste. Garnish with paprika

I really like this recipe, it cuts that fat. I usually use minimal amounts of Tahini and Olive Oil. When I make my hummus and
    use extra lemon. THis black bean one sounds great...I may try it in a wrap with brown basmati rice and veggies.

Thank you for posting
  • LollyChessie
    Options
    These recipes sound amazing! I can't wait to try some of them!
  • chelseagirlfl
    Options
    I recently tried hummus for the first time and fell in love with the rich creamy flavor! I am so sad it took me 38 years to try it! It is a really filling and satisfying snack. It really sticks with you and helps curb those mid-afternoon cravings.
    I am looking for some tried and true great tasting recipes and ideas of different ways to eat it. I have seen them with pita chips and pretzels and I have been eating them as a veggie dip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:glasses:

You can use it instead of mayo in sandwiches.

I use a recipe that i found.

2 cans of chickpeas
    1/2 cup of Tahini
    1/4 cup of Olive oil
    Paprika
    Lemon ( depends on how tangy you want it, use at least 1 )
    And also depending on how much garlic you want. I use like 3 or 4 depending on the size.

Tahini is pretty calorie full, with the olive oil it can get high per serving
    1/4 cup of olive oil has 480 calories before adding the other ingredients

Do you know of an alternative to olive oil, other than doing without ?
  • MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I put humus on chicken breast....so good and will keep you filled for hours!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I just recently fell in love with the stuff and made my own the other night that was outstanding.

Drain a can of chick peas and put in blender with a small jar of artichoke hearts
    Add a teaspoon of minced garlic, a teaspoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a handful of kalamata olives then blend again.

I put mine with celery.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I put humus on chicken breast....so good and will keep you filled for hours!
    mmmmm yummy
  • Nikoah
    Nikoah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great recipe!
  • Nikoah
    Nikoah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I recently tried hummus for the first time and fell in love with the rich creamy flavor! I am so sad it took me 38 years to try it! It is a really filling and satisfying snack. It really sticks with you and helps curb those mid-afternoon cravings.
    I am looking for some tried and true great tasting recipes and ideas of different ways to eat it. I have seen them with pita chips and pretzels and I have been eating them as a veggie dip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:glasses:

You can use it instead of mayo in sandwiches.

I use a recipe that i found.

2 cans of chickpeas
    1/2 cup of Tahini
    1/4 cup of Olive oil
    Paprika
    Lemon ( depends on how tangy you want it, use at least 1 )
    And also depending on how much garlic you want. I use like 3 or 4 depending on the size.

Great recipe!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I stuffed mushrooms with it the other day ago. Maybe not the best ever but it wasn't bad, got me thinking of different ways to have it. I'd have to agree the spicier hummus's are the best!
  • mcwick1968
    mcwick1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google hummus crusted chicken recipe...it is so good!
  • chelseagirlfl
    Options
    Black bean hummus

INGREDIENTS:
    1 clove garlic
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add black beans, 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste. Garnish with paprika

I really like this recipe, it cuts that fat. I usually use minimal amounts of Tahini and Olive Oil. When I make my hummus and
    use extra lemon. THis black bean one sounds great...I may try it in a wrap with brown basmati rice and veggies.

Thank you for posting

I made it last night!!! It is awesome!
  • Bhevenor
    Bhevenor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try it in a wrap with lots of fresh veggies!:wink:
  • TreeDee63
    TreeDee63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to hummus also and these recipes and ideas sound SO delicious, so I am bumping this for near future use!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I tried this, and it was GOOD:

a can of (drained) tuna, a couple of tbsp of hummus, and a fat dollop of salsa. Mix it all up and dig in with a spoon.

It's tasty and I can pack it in my lunch with no refrigeration needed.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love dipping cheese on toast in it, and my daughter loves taking it in her sandwiches to school