Have people's concepts of normal become too fat?

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go. People now complain if they get charged more on a plane cause they are fat. They complain if there is no 'flattering' clothing to fit them in their size. They complain then when exercise equipment is not built for their weight.

It's become a world of fat people, an nobody bats an eye at it.

I agree. Its A harsh reality but it IS REALITY. We have create a culture of coddling that allows people to continue with unhealthy habits.

Really because the last time I checked there aren't that many plus sized stores and the sections in department stores are rare and at a minimum.

I think this post is a "fat" shaming post. While I am obese fat, I can tell you there is NO SYMPATHY at all for fat people.

And calling a size 6, 8, or 12, fat is just plain disgusting to me as a true FAT person. I don't like being fat, I don't like looking at fat people, I don't like shopping in the fat lady's section, and I don't think the world has accepted it as normal at all. This post being the best example of that.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go. People now complain if they get charged more on a plane cause they are fat. They complain if there is no 'flattering' clothing to fit them in their size. They complain then when exercise equipment is not built for their weight.

I agree. Its A harsh reality but it IS REALITY. We have create a culture of coddling that allows people to continue with unhealthy habits.

Really because the last time I checked there aren't that many plus sized stores and the sections in department stores are rare and at a minimum.

I think this post is a "fat" shaming post. While I am obese fat, I can tell you there is NO SYMPATHY at all for fat people.

And calling a size 6, 8, or 12, fat is just plain disgusting to me as a true FAT person. I don't like being fat, I don't like looking at fat people, I don't like shopping in the fat lady's section, and I don't think the world has accepted it as normal at all. This post being the best example of that.

:flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of fat shaming is "concerned fat shaming". You know, when random folks comment on overweight people but insist it's not how they look that upsets them, it's genuine concern for their health. How dare they try to learn to accept and be happy as they are at a UK 16/US 12; what about their health?

Oh and one time someone told m to eat a burger and it hurt my feelings. How dare these overweight people lash out with even a fraction of the venom the world has heaped on to them; they're not allowed to be bitter and mean; after all I'm slim/athletic/skinny and they should aspire to be more like me because I am closer to the ideal.

Who cares if being fat is more acceptable? Are fat people making you fat? Making your kid fat? Eating all your food? Stealing your jobs or otherwise inhibiting your life in some manner beyond making you look upon their overweight forms? As far a I'm concerned it just means more clothes available in my size; sounds like a win to me.

How about billions of dollars in healthcare costs? Driving insurance rates up for everyone else, or even worse, just straight out charging it to tax payers if they are on public assistance. In United States, 40% of all healthcare costs are attributed to just one disease -- diabetes. And a lot of those people still eat junk as they are receiving treatment. So, yes, I think that taxpayer money should not be wasted on those who don't even want to help themselves and they are taking away something from those who got sick through no fault of their own.

You sound like the sort of person who rages about food stamps and welfare as well.

"Also, side bar: Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight." http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

That part about 'too many people...'? I think it's talking about you. The ADA is not amused. I, however, am amused. I even chuckled out loud.

I could have told you this was a fat shaming post 3 pages ago (In fact I think I did say that.) It's a mixture of 'concern' shaming and 'But kids!' shaming and 'It just shouldn't be allowed to be normal/in the public eye' shaming. My favorite is concern shaming; I like when they try to cover up that they are just kinda disgusted by fat people by worrying about the health of people who literally don't give a damn about them in return.
  • LJAYB1985
    LJAYB1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Exactly!

I agree that there may be a few more 'larger' celebrities out there these days but it is an absolute nightmare being considered 'fat' in the UK. Ok, so you may not be alone but that doesn't make it any easier. Let's not forget, most people who are 'fat' are not walking around proud about it. There are a handful of people who are confident with it and say that they don't care - but that's a rarity. Most people I know, myself included, who wear a size 16/18 are not happy about this and don't feel 'normal' in the slightest. That's why we are on this website.

Plus sized models in the fashion industry is a UK size 10/12 and above - this is ridiculous. Size UK 10/12 is NOT plus size. I disagree with saying we shouldn't have plus size stores etc Just because someone is a size 18, doesn't mean they should have to dress like their grandma. However, I believe that when people are so large that it effects there health and shortens their lives, it shouldn't be celebrated. We don't celebrate or embrace it when people kill themselves through smoking, so why should it be any different for severe obesity.

There is definitely a really unhealthy culture in the UK. The binge drinking, the processed foods and the takeaways and eating out. Let's not forget though that there are plenty of women and men out there that drink their weight in alcohol on the weekend but are still skinny. I've known girls who are a UK Size 8 who constantly eat fast food and drink buckets of vodka on a night out - is this healthy? Most certainly not but because you can't see it jiggling on their *kitten*, no one judges them.

We should all stop obsessing about the exterior and start promoting healthy living. Not just through food and exercise but through less drinking / smoking and drug taking. I've never seen someone overdose and die on a plate of fries or get into a fight on a Saturday night because they had ten too many bacon sandwiches.

This country and it's residents have many flaws. Lets just encourage each to be better human beings and teach other how to live healthy in aspects of our lives - including mentally - because it's usually a psychological battle to loose weight rather than being lazy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Probably has a bit to do with where you live. In my city, there isn't a department store without a plus-sized or 'women's' section, which is usually just as large as any other section and totally dwarfs the petites section. (Yeah, I'm short and short-waisted. Petite dresses usually fit me better)

BTW, what is up with the women's clothing department having a 'women's' section? They couldn't come up with a better and non-confusing name?

And back to the topic: I think that perceptions have shifted in the USA. I was at borderline overweight BMI. I mentioned then that I thought I could stand to lose 20 lbs. and got, "Oh, no, that's way too much. Maybe 10 lbs, max." Since then, I've lost 7 lbs. and of course no one really notices. I didn't expect them to. I mention that I want to get down to 122/123, and once again it's, "Oh, no, that's way too much." Until I say, "You know, I've already dropped 7 lbs and you don't really see it, do you? I think another 13 lbs. won't be that much more dramatic." That got me a thoughtful silence.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options

^ I totally agree with this.
  • LauraThirty
    LauraThirty Posts: 74
    Options
    It's the young girls that I notice now... They all seem very concerned with their weight and talk about diets etc way more than we used to at that age. But they are all rather large for the most part. And is it me, or does cellulite exist much younger than it used to??? None of us had it at school I don't think, but now it seems every girl walking down the street in those cut off shorts with their bottom out has bad cellulite, even if they are slimmer.....
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I noticed this at the weekend whilst i was buying some clothes. The shorts i looked at were 36 waist and classed as medium. That definitely wasnt the case in the past but it's most likely based on average wasit sizes so it's following the trend.

I wish women's stores went by inches on waists instead of sizes. I went to one store and could fit into their version of a 2/4. I'm not a 2, nor am I a 4. I'm a 6, but thanks for giving me a false sense of skinny. Lol.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What is "too fat"? It's all social construction.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Exactly!

I agree that there may be a few more 'larger' celebrities out there these days but it is an absolute nightmare being considered 'fat' in the UK. Ok, so you may not be alone but that doesn't make it any easier. Let's not forget, most people who are 'fat' are not walking around proud about it. There are a handful of people who are confident with it and say that they don't care - but that's a rarity. Most people I know, myself included, who wear a size 16/18 are not happy about this and don't feel 'normal' in the slightest. That's why we are on this website.

Plus sized models in the fashion industry is a UK size 10/12 and above - this is ridiculous. Size UK 10/12 is NOT plus size. I disagree with saying we shouldn't have plus size stores etc Just because someone is a size 18, doesn't mean they should have to dress like their grandma. However, I believe that when people are so large that it effects there health and shortens their lives, it shouldn't be celebrated. We don't celebrate or embrace it when people kill themselves through smoking, so why should it be any different for severe obesity.

There is definitely a really unhealthy culture in the UK. The binge drinking, the processed foods and the takeaways and eating out. Let's not forget though that there are plenty of women and men out there that drink their weight in alcohol on the weekend but are still skinny. I've known girls who are a UK Size 8 who constantly eat fast food and drink buckets of vodka on a night out - is this healthy? Most certainly not but because you can't see it jiggling on their *kitten*, no one judges them.

We should all stop obsessing about the exterior and start promoting healthy living. Not just through food and exercise but through less drinking / smoking and drug taking. I've never seen someone overdose and die on a plate of fries or get into a fight on a Saturday night because they had ten too many bacon sandwiches.

This country and it's residents have many flaws. Lets just encourage each to be better human beings and teach other how to live healthy in aspects of our lives - including mentally - because it's usually a psychological battle to loose weight rather than being lazy.

LOVE THIS :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think the 'average' dress size in the UK is a 16 now!! I am 5'5 and weigh 139lb (aiming for 133lb) but keep getting told not to loose anymore weight as I will look ill.

What they mean is you will make them feel even bigger.

Ignore the tools, let them allow their health to suffer whilst mocking slim and fit people.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    If you consider that "normal" essentially equates "average" - then it's not that people's concepts of normal have become too fat, but that people in general are larger than previously in most cultures. No concept, just fact,.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oh god, yes.

When I first started losing weight I was surprised at the shape of my body. The fact that I'd never seen a real body that was fit says something about how we as a culture define fit.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go.

Um, so you'd prefer us fatties run around naked? O.O
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes. I definitely think so. I've seen overweight referred to as healthy in many circumstances and myself referred to as too thin or sick looking when actually I'm petite and muscular and am very healthy (plus I eat LOTS of nutritious delicious foods so there's no way I could be too thin). Just keep reminding yourself that you are healthy and strong.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options

To be fair I've seen a lot of size 4/ 6 women on here with no waist and size 16 with hourglass figures - it's just their natural shape, not to do with being overweight or not.
  • eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    Damn girl, you are underweight! You should be between 150-155 lbs I am 5"10 and weigh 151 lbs
    Eat more woman!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Everyone can at least agree that the way women's clothes are sized is crap, right? I mean, talk about arbitrary. I also would prefer my clothes be sized according to actual measurements instead of just slapping a 12 or 14 on it, or even worse a L or XL. What does that even mean? Not to mention, no women's clothing takes proportion into consideration. I am short and curvy (yes, CURVY in that my bust and hips are 10+ inches bigger than my waist) and also fat. It's nearly impossible to find clothes that fit. I suppose women who are 5'6-5"8, slim, and perfectly proportioned are the only ones who don't have that problem. *not meant to insult 5'6-5'8 slim women with perfect proportions.

I think the answer is twofold, in that the average size has gotten larger and thereby more acceptable and the Hollywood ideal is very slim, dare I say "skinny". Look at poor Kim Kardashian (something I thought I'd never be caught dead saying). She was lauded as having a near-perfect figure, gets pregnant, gains weight (like she's supposed to) and now people are calling her a whale. But as a normal person just walking down the street in Middletown USA, she'd probably still be called "small", even while pregnant. Relativity and perception are definite factors.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of fat shaming is "concerned fat shaming". You know, when random folks comment on overweight people but insist it's not how they look that upsets them, it's genuine concern for their health. How dare they try to learn to accept and be happy as they are at a UK 16/US 12; what about their health?

Oh and one time someone told m to eat a burger and it hurt my feelings. How dare these overweight people lash out with even a fraction of the venom the world has heaped on to them; they're not allowed to be bitter and mean; after all I'm slim/athletic/skinny and they should aspire to be more like me because I am closer to the ideal.

Who cares if being fat is more acceptable? Are fat people making you fat? Making your kid fat? Eating all your food? Stealing your jobs or otherwise inhibiting your life in some manner beyond making you look upon their overweight forms? As far a I'm concerned it just means more clothes available in my size; sounds like a win to me.

How about billions of dollars in healthcare costs? Driving insurance rates up for everyone else, or even worse, just straight out charging it to tax payers if they are on public assistance. In United States, 40% of all healthcare costs are attributed to just one disease -- diabetes. And a lot of those people still eat junk as they are receiving treatment. So, yes, I think that taxpayer money should not be wasted on those who don't even want to help themselves and they are taking away something from those who got sick through no fault of their own.

You sound like the sort of person who rages about food stamps and welfare as well.

"Also, side bar: Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight." http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

That part about 'too many people...'? I think it's talking about you. The ADA is not amused. I, however, am amused. I even chuckled out loud.

The obesity epidemic has undoubtedly added to the cost of healthcare. An overweight person with type 2 diabetes who doesn't eat healthy and doesn't exercise will most likely have a harder time controlling his blood sugars. This results in higher rates of complications, more office visits, and more hospitalizations. It doesn't stop at diabetes-- try to name a chronic disease that is not negatively impacted by being overweight. Hypertension, coronary artery disease, stroke, fibromyalgia, a host of joint problems, blood clots in the legs and lungs, kidney failure caused by uncontrolled hypertension and/or diabetes, etc. The #1 reason for a liver transplant today is metabolic syndrome. Due to our lifestyle choices, it's been predicted our generation will not live as long as our grandparents.

The increased cost of healthcare has been everyone's burden. Granted, obesity is not the only reason for the growing expense. But I think a lot of people are frustrated when an overweight/obese person has the attitude of "I don't care. It doesn't hurt you." People should care. Poor health impacts everyone in the community.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why having plus size models, clothing stores & the like have got to go.

Thing is that plus-size models aren't really plus size. Most of them are sizes 10-12, which is not fat. In the modeling world it's considered plus-sized, but in the real world a 5'10" or 5'11" size 10-12 woman is not fat.