• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wut...??

What part didn't you get?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah it probally is but why do we tend to think it is the worst thing in the world if it was so bad then why don't we shut it down ever ask that question, but we still should not eat too much of it but alittle should be good because at least we are getting in our daily protein and calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Other than the added sugar, excessive salt, bad fats and preservatives, no. If you don't mind all of that, it's one way of tying on the feed bag, I suppose. :ohwell:

What's wrong with sugar or salt? And what's a bad fat? There's almost 0 trans fat in anything fast food these days. You'll find more in a piece of steak.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Run on sentences are bad for you
  • catrinadaniels
    Options
    I used to eat out a lot more, but now I've trid to cut down even when I go. Say, a happy meal instead of a hamburger value meal, since the fries and drink are much smaller. The UK helps as well, since it's much much less than in the US. Our drinks in OH are HUGE.

I also like Wendys and Subway most, which is helpful since they have healthy options. I really like crispy chicken salad with a baked potato.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YE S THERES A THOUSAND CALORIE SANDWICHES AND MEALS
    THE BIGGEST LOSER PROMOTE SS UBWAY CUZ THEY HAVE LOWER CAL SANDWICHES
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ITS IRONIC THAT AS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS A MCDONALDS BANNER IS FLASHING AT THE TOP OF MY FITNES S PAL SCREEN
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

What's wrong with a thousand calorie meal? Also, what's wrong with your Caps Lock key?
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Fast food will never go away. Its a business. McDonalds doesn't care about your fitness level. They just want your 2 dollars and 99 cents so they can give you some cheaply made hamburger with a greasy side of french fries. Who would of ever thought 3 dollars can affect our health in such a way.

Fast food could have evolved into something spectacular but it seems to be far behind on what is considered a "healthy meal".
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Fast food will never go away. Its a business. McDonalds doesn't care about your fitness level. They just want your 2 dollars and 99 cents so they can give you some cheaply made hamburger with a greasy side of french fries. Who would of ever thought 3 dollars can affect our health in such a way.

Fast food could have evolved into something spectacular but it seems to be far behind on what is considered a "healthy meal".

Its not mcdonalds fault that we are gluttons. they just capitalize on the fact that most people dont have self control and eat way too much. I could lose weight on three mcdonalds sandwhiches a day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

You're 26 and you got serious about life a month ago. It's not a big conspiracy, the whole point is to make a product for less than you sell it, if you sell it for 3 bucks and spend 5 dollars making it...that's not a very good business model.

McDonald's or that company that makes Shakeology or the nice old lady that lives on a farm and sells you produce fresh out of the ground all operate the same way.

Our changing lifestyle from active to more sedentary and the steady increase in our caloric intake (on average) is responsible for the obesity problem we face, not some evil corporation and the soulless taking-lollipop-from-a-baby, push-old-ladies-down-the-stairs, kick-cute-puppies-and-kittens, watch-the-first-half-of-how-the-grinch-stole-xmas-and-scrooge-and-pleasure-themselves-to-it executives that run it. It's our fault we're in this mess.
  • ryry_
    Options
    I honor of this thread...I have decided on my night time routine today...Go to the gym and run while watching second half of heat bulls game.

Stop by taco bell and get a volcano taco and cool ranch taco and then enjoy both with my protein smoothie. If I survive i will report back to the group.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Look up the nutritional facts about Subway. It might surprise you to learn that what they market as "healthy", really isn't. HOWEVER, you are right that it's healthier than other places.

I have my students doing a fast food restaurant research project where they are comparing all these things. It's been eye opening for MANY of them, and they're in 6th grade.

I think that teaching young people the importance of balanced nutrition is a good thing, however I would argue that the best way to do this is to teach them about calorie balance, nutrient sufficiency, and moderation.

My problem with classification of foods as 'good' and 'bad' is that I don't really think it works. Even clean foods can be consumed to excess. Look at something like Atkin's, if you go out and eat 10 burgers, hold the buns, that's still a problem.

At the risk of this getting into an argument about something that's wholly unrelated, I see a lot of similarities between the vilification of certain foods and abstinence-based sex education.

I cover it ALL, so don't worry your pretty little head over what I do and do not teach in my classroom. And I promise I won't tell you how to do your job, either.

:wink:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

What's wrong with a thousand calorie meal? Also, what's wrong with your Caps Lock key?

Oh good, someone to argue with what EVERYONE says. Please just stop.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I cover it ALL, so don't worry your pretty little head over what I do and do not teach in my classroom. And I promise I won't tell you how to do your job, either.

I work in finance. LOTS of people try to tell me how to do my job.

I was trying to be polite.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yeah it probally is but why do we tend to think it is the worst thing in the world if it was so bad then why don't we shut it down ever ask that question, but we still should not eat too much of it but alittle should be good because at least we are getting in our daily protein and calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Other than the added sugar, excessive salt, bad fats and preservatives, no. If you don't mind all of that, it's one way of tying on the feed bag, I suppose. :ohwell:

What's wrong with sugar or salt? And what's a bad fat? There's almost 0 trans fat in anything fast food these days. You'll find more in a piece of steak.

We have had this discussion before. Added sugar is bad because it triggers binge eating (among other things). EXCESSIVE salt is bad because we are simply not designed for it. The human body is designed to take in something like three times (or more) potassium than sodium. Fast food and processed food contains a LOT more sodium than potassium in most meals. And bad fats--ever look into the crud that builds up in the fryers of the fast food joints? The oils they use in their fryers begin to break down at the very high temperatures that they use, and certain, very nasty chemicals (for example, acrylamides) accumulate in them, over the course of the day. You get a little "extra gift" with each bite of french fries (potatoes absorb nasties very well). From "Living a Healthy Lifestyle" website :

"...A process used by potato chip and donut manufacturers but hidden from the public is a health risk. The vegetable oil used in these products is constantly re-used and recycled until the oil is entirely absorbed. Thousands of gallons of vegetable oil is purchased and only a fraction is ever left over. Using vegetable oils over and over again causes FFAs (free fatty acids) to form. These FFAs are chemically treated to reduce their quantity, and the oil is recycled to be used in making more potato chips and donuts. What's left after the oil has been recycled, until it can't be recycled anymore, is a dirty, thick sludge..." YUM!! :sick:
  • ryry_
    Options
    Look up the nutritional facts about Subway. It might surprise you to learn that what they market as "healthy", really isn't. HOWEVER, you are right that it's healthier than other places.

I have my students doing a fast food restaurant research project where they are comparing all these things. It's been eye opening for MANY of them, and they're in 6th grade.

I think that teaching young people the importance of balanced nutrition is a good thing, however I would argue that the best way to do this is to teach them about calorie balance, nutrient sufficiency, and moderation.

My problem with classification of foods as 'good' and 'bad' is that I don't really think it works. Even clean foods can be consumed to excess. Look at something like Atkin's, if you go out and eat 10 burgers, hold the buns, that's still a problem.

At the risk of this getting into an argument about something that's wholly unrelated, I see a lot of similarities between the vilification of certain foods and abstinence-based sex education.

Very comforting to see teachers open to new ideas.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Besides you never really know if the online nutrition facts on fast food is correct. One day it might be 1000 calories for your sandwich then tomorrow it be 1500 calories. Different people, different cooks & not all always follow the serving amount.

Best to just make your own food. In my opinion.

And I use to eat fast food all the time. But I didn't have good control over my eating habits. Now that I'm trying harder, I don't eat fast food at all. I sure miss it, but it's not the healthiest choice for anyone, skinny or large.

I'm fairly certain that the fast food restaurants are legally required to post accurate and up to date nutritional information. It has something to do with fair labeling, but the actual name escapes me now.

I am not at all reluctant to give my students the information printed directly from THEIR websites and say, "Here, look, analyze this information". In fact, I would be UNCOMFORTABLE giving them any information from this website, UNLESS it says "company confirmed".
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Very comforting to see teachers open to new ideas.

Sorry, but I can't see a "Sarcastic" button on this post. If it's there, then I'd like to know why you feel this way. If you're being honest, then thanks for the compliment. I've been accused of "thinking and teaching outside the box for a Catholic school" on numerous occasions, which is why the parents are constantly complimenting me for the way I teach their kids.

I think the ONLY way people will ever learn about fast food, calories, weight gain, excess v moderation, etc, is by analyzing the data. Education is the key to figuring all this stuff up -- be it education by a teacher or self-study. Do people really know what they are eating? Not all the time. Looking at what the data says is the ONLY way to help us make informed decisions.

I have never said "stop eating fast food NOW!" I've said "don't eat it all the time".
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Sorry, but I can't see a "Sarcastic" button on this post. If it's there, then I'd like to know why you feel this way. If you're being honest, then thanks for the compliment. I've been accused of "thinking and teaching outside the box for a Catholic school" on numerous occasions, which is why the parents are constantly complimenting me for the way I teach their kids.

haha
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

haha

You should see how I handle the reproductive system. Now that's a real barn burner of a lesson!

:laugh:

PS: LOVE the profile pic.