• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    OH SUPER BARF!:cry:
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love tongue!

We used to hunt moose up north and the tongue, (plus many other organs I won't mention for the weak-stomached among us) was always a treat as far as I was concerned.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Seriously, this was freaking tasty! Nobody can resist once they have my tongue in their mouth.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I was so careful when I wrote my reply so it didn't sound like that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

When I was a kid way back when, we'd sometimes have things like beef tongue, scrapple, head cheese, blood sausage, liver, snails, turtle, sturgeon, and one night, brains (which I didn't care for at all). Luckily we never had the duck blood soup my mother would speak of with great fondness as part of her childhood memories. On Saturdays, I'd walk with my grandmother to the "chicken place" that had live chickens; you'd pick out your chicken, they'd kill it, gut it for you, and strip off the feathers. The heart, liver, gizzard were placed inside. I especially liked the heart and the gizzard. We'd go fishing, and I'd kill the fish and gut them. If you can't look an animal in the eye before it's killed, you probably shouldn't be eating meat. :)

It's the circle of life, mon.

I've never had Chanina (sp) (duck's blood soup) but my husband got me to really like blood sausage!
  • telicia02
    telicia02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I second that! I don't want to taste anything that's tasting me at the same time! Glad u enjoyed it though.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I was in a market in San Sebastián, and asked my host about the calf brains at the meat place. I was told it makes good baby food!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just cannot get enough of the picture! The responses are hilarious too... Your "just the tip" is too much. Ha! Its awesome you are so adventurous with your foods. I have the taste of a 6 year old...and actually that would be an insult to my 6 year old niece. I couldn't do it.. I'd end up playing with it and making jokes with the top piece that actually looks like a tongue.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    no thanks jeff
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I just cannot get enough of the picture! The responses are hilarious too... Your "just the tip" is too much. Ha! Its awesome you are so adventurous with your foods. I have the taste of a 6 year old...and actually that would be an insult to my 6 year old niece. I couldn't do it.. I'd end up playing with it and making jokes with the top piece that actually looks like a tongue.

Lol when I was 6, I was already an adventurous eater. I think it has something to do with my fish allergy. Once I was denied one of the tastiest foods on earth, I kinda decided life is too short to miss out on any flavors and textures just because the people around you aren't used to eating it.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a pork tongue sandwich as I type this.... yum!

And for the people saying "gross," you knew exactly what you were getting when you read the thread title.

tumblr_m0pfagzuTv1qbb1dso1_500.png
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, tacos de lengua!

Someone else mentioned morcilla--that is super YUMMMMM too.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is texture and my mother is the same way. My older brothers are a lot better eaters than I am. I am allergic to eggs and for awhile could not have ANYTHING with egg in it. Luckily I grew out of it and now just can't have eggs by themselves. So i can see where you are coming from with not being able to eat something delicious because your body will attack itself.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This has got to be the most hilarious post and replies I've read in months on mfp. While I am impressed with other people's culinary experiences with tongue, I died a little inside when I saw that photo.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends grandma made beef tongue a few weeks ago for her husbands birthday. She wanted to make something "special".
    I have never tried it before and I didn't even know she was going to make it, so I went into the kitchen to say "Hi" and saw this huuuuge tongue there and how she cut it into stripes. That was it.

I still did taste a tiny piece because I didn't want to be rude or anything, and I got to admit that it tastes pretty good. But as the others said, the texture is an issue, and knowing that it was tongue was my biggest problem, I think.
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Lengua tacos are the BEST!!!

I agree!
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Tacos and burritos de lengua played a major role in making me look like this:

3141e7b99f09eced0c8c98936906ba6e_zps626e7be2.jpg

Now that I understand the macros, I can eat it again, and I understand what happened. After that photo, I put on another 15 pounds before I finally decided to take control.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I haven't had beef tongue, but I have ox tail soup regularly. I had it two days ago. The way the neighborhood resturant makes it, you couldn't tell it's ox tail at all. It tastes like beef with some bone on it.
    I would try beef tongue but it would have to be mashed up or stir fried. I need to disguise it somehow.
    But good for you for trying new things!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly horrified
    I'm extremely horrified.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My Mother used to make it. But she also made a sweet raisin sauce to go over it. As a kid, if I had the raisin sauce with a little bit of tongue I could eat it. The raisin sauce was yummy. Couldn't taste the tongue (Raisin sauce also good with ham.) Another not too appetizing food--beef liver. But if you have LOTS of bacon and sauteed onions over a tiny bit of liver, the liver is pretty good (you almost can't taste it.) Almost anything becomes edible if you smother it in enough sauce, gravy or topping. (I realize this probably defeats the purpose and doesn't help the calorie level.)
  • okiebug27
    okiebug27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quite an entertaining thread.....lol

Had to bump it! :laugh: