Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options
Hello everyone! I am super new to MFP (Just signed up yesterday!:smile: ) and so far I'm loving it! I know my eating habits need to change, that's a no brainer! However I will not give up my diet soda! I have started drinking Sparkling Ice at home, no calories, no sugar bubble water. I LOVE BUBBLES!!!! I love sugar, I know, it's so bad for you, but I love it so much! I can leave the bread, leave the salts, but can't go without my sugar. Cutting back I know must be done. But what I want to know is, has anyone lost a good chunk of weight without totally giving up the diet soda? I love 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and didn't give it up, but I want to lose another 40 and really need to know it can be done!!! Thank you so much!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    From a purely weight loss standpoint, you can eat/drink anything you want and as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight just fine.
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just drinking one diet drink a day? That is what I did for a while now I just drink one here and there mostly when we go out to eat. In 5 weeks I have lost 11 pounds so doing that did indeed help me. Now I drink a lot of water with 5 cal energy packs they have a sweet taste to them they are sugary free.

good luck!! :happy:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    do you like seltzer or club soda ?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am super new to MFP (Just signed up yesterday!:smile: ) and so far I'm loving it! I know my eating habits need to change, that's a no brainer! However I will not give up my diet soda! I have started drinking Sparkling Ice at home, no calories, no sugar bubble water. I LOVE BUBBLES!!!! I love sugar, I know, it's so bad for you, but I love it so much! I can leave the bread, leave the salts, but can't go without my sugar. Cutting back I know must be done. But what I want to know is, has anyone lost a good chunk of weight without totally giving up the diet soda? I love 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and didn't give it up, but I want to lose another 40 and really need to know it can be done!!! Thank you so much!

There is no sugar in most diet pops. I drink 2 - 3 cans of diet soda a day.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper really DOES taste just like regular Dr. Pepper. I just discovered this and I'm so excited about it.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Obesity

Diet soft drinks can actually lead to obesity. According to the Mercola website, at best it does nothing to control your appetite, and at worst, it actually increases your appetite. Anything that has sugar, or some version thereof, actually can act to stimulate your appetite and leave you craving more carbohydrates. The Diabeteswellbeing website cites a 2005 study that the University of Texas performed. The researchers found that the people who drink diet sodas are far more likely to become obese than those who drink regular pop.

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Diet Pop? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/list_6060046_dangers-diet-pop_.html#ixzz2Sjs3xygZ
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Neurological Problems

According to the Mercola website, people have reported seizures and other disorders of the brain as a result of aspartame. Symptoms such as memory loss, depression and personality changes are also on record. When the individuals stopped consuming drinks containing the artificial sweetener, the seizures reportedly disappeared.

Aspartame Disease

The Bodybuilding website sites 92 documented cases of aspartame disease. The website suggests that Gulf War syndrome is actually aspartame syndrome. It develops because aspartame, in temperatures as low as 86 degrees Fahrenheit, begins to break down chemically into methanol, which is a deadly poison. It is a known carcinogen---a cancer-causing agent. It can cause birth defects and significant eye damage becaused of what it can do to a person's retina.

Lowers Ph Balance

According to the Bodybuilding website, every diet soda you drink lowers your pH balance by one point. You need to maintain an alkalinity, which will keep your body from developing a chronic, life-altering or life-ending condition. The website states that diet pop has a pH balance of 1.5 to 2.5. That is well below the pH balance of seven, which your body requires to remain healthy. The healthiest drink by far, then, is water.

Sponsored Links

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Diet Pop? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/list_6060046_dangers-diet-pop_.html#ixzz2SjsCu3Yc
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Metabolic Disease and Type 2 Diabetes

Metabolic disease is a group of conditions including high waist size, high resting glucose levels, high blood pressure and low good cholesterol. It indicates your risk for diabetes, heart disease and stroke. In 2009, a group of researchers at the University of Texas Health Sciences in Houston published a study that said daily consumption of diet soda increased the chance of metabolic disease by 36 percent and the chance of Type 2 diabetes by 67 percent. Though researchers noted their data was observational in nature and needs further testing, the association was significant.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/218159-what-are-the-dangers-of-drinking-diet-sodas/#ixzz2SjsQscDW
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Five months ago all Idrank was diet pepsi. I gradually and I mean gradually weaned myself off of it. It took me three months and now the only time I drink it is at a restaurant (I only drink filtered/spring water, no tap for me) or with a rum and coke. Believe it or not I don't particularly miss it. I NEVER thought I would drink water but now I'm drinking 15+ cups a day. It can happen if you want it to. Just saying :)
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling water instead. I like Sparkling Ice
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    Drink your diet pop, ignore the naysayers. Just don't smoke crack or anything like that and you should be fine.
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is some good info guys, thank you! I have gone from 4 20 ounce bottles a day down to 2, and brought in the Sparkling Ice, that stuff is awesome, but really is it any better for you? It still has fake sweeteners in it? Thank you Dani! I cut back and as long as I can still lose I guess I'm good!
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I've lost around 36 lbs and haven't given diet sodas a second thought (have not tried to cut back or eliminate them). That's been since last fall, but the majority of the loss (about 26 lbs) has been over the last couple of months while on MFP.

My experience is the diet soda won't hinder you in losing weight. As with anything, moderation is important, so don't drink a two-liter of it every day, but otherwise don't worry about it. If you listen to everything you hear people say ought to be eliminated, you'll be on a water-only diet, with no food or other drink at all!
  • Lovely_at_any_size
    Lovely_at_any_size Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

No it's not.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the new TEN sodas. I have tried Dr. Pepper Ten, Sunkist Ten, and A&W Ten. I like the Sunkist.
    Ten simply means there are only ten calories per can of soda.

Welcome!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Drink your diet soda! Whats worse, diet soda or being unhealthy and overweight???? I think it is the lessor of two evils!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to the ladies with amazing bodies, rather than people with access to google search.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is some good info guys, thank you! I have gone from 4 20 ounce bottles a day down to 2, and brought in the Sparkling Ice, that stuff is awesome, but really is it any better for you? It still has fake sweeteners in it? Thank you Dani! I cut back and as long as I can still lose I guess I'm good!

Yes, it does contain a small dose of suraclose (splenda) but that is the only similarity it has with diet soda.

Diet soda also has these horrible ingredients:

caramel color - linked to cancer
    phosphoric acid - this strips your bones of its nutrients
    natural flavors - read about it's horribleness here: http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you really want to quit it try soda or tonic water with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Or get into iced tea (without sugar) and add stevia.