Chia seeds work!!

Options
jamiep926
jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
A fried of mine recommended me chia seeds and I have been taking them every morning! Seriously?? One table spoon of chia seeds have 6 grams of fiber, 6 grams of omega fatty acid, and 5 grams of protein. And it keeps you full!!! Best of all, ever since taking chia seeds, I clogged my toilet every other day!!! I am stoked about chia seeds!!

Replies

• nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How do you eat them?
  • Tracey1409
    Tracey1409 Posts: 4
    Options
    I put mine in my protein shake. Not sure what other ways to have them yet.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Nice mixed with some milk/alternative to milk or water with cacao powder, stevia and maybe a little cinnamon and left for a while while the seeds swell up and make a pudding. Kept in fridge is safest of course.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And it keeps you full!!! Best of all, ever since taking chia seeds, I clogged my toilet every other day!!! I am stoked about chia seeds!!

I almost needed a Heimlich maneuver performed on me, after reading that, given that I 'choke-laughed' in reading about the excitement regarding toilet clogging ;)...

Well, if there happens to be any sort of chia seed -specific advertising or promotional body, then I dare say, the slogan of the first ad campaign has been coined by MFP's very own jamiep926... "Chia Seeds: They'll keep both you AND your toilet full. Brought to you by the Chia Seeds Ad Consortium, and Plumbers Local 743." ;)
  • midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    Anyone interested in their uses:
    Substitute Chia seeds for oil or eggs.
    they are great sources of essential fatty acids and fiber.

CHIA INFO COPIED FROM: http://bellachicorp.com -

The chia can be sprinkled in or on top of baked goods OR mixed with water and used as partial replacement of oil in most recipes (see gel recipe below) - increase the baking time since chia retains moisture.

Cookies
    Cakes
    Breads
    Grahm Cracker Crusts
    Brownies

Use chia gel to replace eggs in recipes
    Great for Gluten Free Baking which tends to be dry. Not no more, because chia retains moisture!
    GREAT FOR THOSE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES

TO REPLACE EGGS: When mixed with water, chia seeds, high in soluble fiber, form a thick gel. Place 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in a cup and add 3 tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit for about 15 minutes. 1/4 cup of hydrated chia seeds equals approximately 1 egg.

TO REPLACE OIL: Make a gel (see below) and replace oil with the chia gel. Increase baking time.

GLUTEN FREE: Add in gluten free recipes to retain moisture.
    Generally 5% is added to total recipe.
    Makes gluten free breads and bake good soft and extends shelf life.
    Use sparingly due to the fact that chia retains water and extend baking time.
    I have noticed that my gluten free bread stayed soft for a week!
    I didn't even have to toast it or microwave it to refesh it.
    I kept it in the bread box! Experiment with your favorite recipes.
    Boost nutrition and improve texture without affecting the flavor.

CHIA GEL
    Chia Gel – Mix 1/4 cup of Chia seeds into 2 cups of water (4 parts water, 1 part chia). Mix well. Let stand and mix again in 5 minutes. Keep in refrigerator in a sealed container. It will last for about 2 weeks. Add to smoothies, salad dressings, BBQ sauces or butter. It is not gritty and will not change flavor.

Just from an earlier post I made on here.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its weird or not, but I sometimes put my chia seeds into my oats along with protein powder and LSA meal.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have tried them but can't handle the texture. I also can't eat tapioca pudding for the same reason. I ended up giving mine to a friend. Glad you're having success with them though!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    How do you eat them?

I soak them of course, then put it aside and blend spinach, banana, or some other fruits I have in hand with protein powder, cashews and water. After blending is done, I mix in chia seeds or sometimes when I'm lazy, I blend it all together!! But this works!! I try to eat after this shake but my stomach won't take it! And not to mention poop next day!!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    And it keeps you full!!! Best of all, ever since taking chia seeds, I clogged my toilet every other day!!! I am stoked about chia seeds!!

I almost needed a Heimlich maneuver performed on me, after reading that, given that I 'choke-laughed' in reading about the excitement regarding toilet clogging ;)...

Well, if there happens to be any sort of chia seed -specific advertising or promotional body, then I dare say, the slogan of the first ad campaign has been coined by MFP's very own jamiep926... "Chia Seeds: They'll keep both you AND your toilet full. Brought to you by the Chia Seeds Ad Consortium, and Plumbers Local 743." ;)

Thank you thank you!!! But it's true!!!!!! :)
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I don't know if its weird or not, but I sometimes put my chia seeds into my oats along with protein powder and LSA meal.

It's not weird at all! Indo that sometimes too! Like I said from the beginning, I'm stoked about chia seeds and put them anyway I can to get my daily serving!!
  • jamiep926
    Options
    I have tried them but can't handle the texture. I also can't eat tapioca pudding for the same reason. I ended up giving mine to a friend. Glad you're having success with them though!

Awwww.... Hmm.... Have you tried blended them? When I make shakes with them, I can't taste the chia seeds..
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    I mix mine up with greek yogurt, I guess the texture is an acquired taste for people, but I love it.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What is a Chia seed?
  • jamiep926
    Options
    What is a Chia seed?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-chia
    Check out the website for benefits and nutrition info!!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I mix mine up with greek yogurt, I guess the texture is an acquired taste for people, but I love it.

So do I. Or I'll put them on top of grapefruit - it kills the bitter.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of them at Trader Joe's last weekend but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Part of me can't get over the fact that this is the same thing we used to spread on a clay donkey head and wait in vain for the "hair" to sprout.

Thanks for the tips!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me , I have a bag that I hadn't used in over a month, Tomorrow morning its chia seeds In my oats
  • sunshine482
    sunshine482 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle them on salads