• broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    marathonrunnervssprinte.jpg

Marathon running, no thanks jeff
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    my fiance lost over 30lbs eating whatever he wants and running a 5k at least 3 times a week. i would think the running would have put him at a calorie deficit to lose the weight. and he was already a small man to begin with.
  • broscientist
    Options
    If marathon runners are "anorexic looking", that seems to support the argument that running does help you lose weight...

They lose weight because they have a calorie deficit.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    my fiance lost over 30lbs eating whatever he wants and running a 5k at least 3 times a week. i would think the running would have put him at a calorie deficit to lose the weight. and he was already a small man to begin with.
    Your fiance lost weight because he was at a caloric deficit. Depending on his weight, a 5k burns about 300 calories or so times 3 times a week is only 900 calories.

Calorie deficit to lose weight, exercise to get fit.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Also, running will not really make you more aesthetically looking. Marathon runners look pretty weak and anorexic for the most part.

O'rly?

This is me before I started running...

beforee.jpg?noCache=1368063292

This is me after running 5 - 6x a week for 6 months before I started lifting.

563396_10150880359782257_700910216_n.jpg
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    If marathon runners are "anorexic looking", that seems to support the argument that running does help you lose weight...

They lose weight because they have a calorie deficit.

Nobody is arguing that. The argument is that running helps you lose weight. It's much easier to achieve a calorie deficit when you are burning calories.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Also, running will not really make you more aesthetically looking. Marathon runners look pretty weak and anorexic for the most part.

O'rly?

You look great! Definitely not weak looking.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that burning calories, in any manner, would not help you lose weight.

This. And the thread should have ended after she posted it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The actual quote is "To lose body fat, you must create a calorie deficit. You can create that deficit by - Exercising, which improves your overall health and fitness, or Eating fewer calories."

It's just that eating fewer calories is easier and more effective.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Marathon running, no thanks jeff
    Selective photography. Take a larger than average sprinter, and a smaller than average long distance runner. Also make sure and photograph the glutes (Largest muscle in the body) on the sprinter but keep that hidden on the other runner. Let's not show the other one running either. Keep the most unflattering pose for the group we're seeking to stigmatize.

Instead of being selective let's just show what professional women marathon runners look like.

nehmiw.jpg

CDA_0162.JPG
  • _DaniD_
    Options
    You look great! Definitely not weak looking.

Thank you! I was happy with what running did for my body, especially my legs.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. I lost 20 pounds last summer running and my body fat dropped to 12%. I had to increase my eating to compensate for the running. Conversely, when my running slowed down during winter, I gained weight.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will unilaterally help you lose weight. You lose weight by eating at a deficit. How you create that deficit is up to you.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    BALONERY!! A calorie is a calorie. What's the difference between burning calories and not eating calories? Just as I thought. Cant answer. BALONERY!! Now this is for your own good. Drop and give me 40.
  • broscientist
    Options

O'rly?

I forgot what this topic was about but anyways, I have been staring at your pictures speechless and in awe for the past hour or so. That deep gaze in your eyes, your perfect long hair, all of your features just seem to all come together so well, almost angelical in a sense I suppose.

The reason I am writing this is to let you know that I think I have found the most beautiful woman to grace us with her presence on our planet, and I am of course talking about you.

I know this might mean absolutely nothing to you, and you probably get many of these types of messages/posts on Bodyspace and in real life BUT please understand that I am being as genuine as ever when I say that you are the ultimate dictionary definition of perfection, and I hope that one day God can bestow me with a woman as beautiful as you, I would be forever grateful.

I hope that this message finds you well, I do not care if I get a response to this, I am just simply stating the obvious and had to let you know how I really felt.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options

O'rly?

I forgot what this topic was about but anyways, I have been staring at your pictures speechless and in awe for the past hour or so. That deep gaze in your eyes, your perfect long hair, all of your features just seem to all come together so well, almost angelical in a sense I suppose.

The reason I am writing this is to let you know that I think I have found the most beautiful woman to grace us with her presence on our planet, and I am of course talking about you.

I know this might mean absolutely nothing to you, and you probably get many of these types of messages/posts on Bodyspace and in real life BUT please understand that I am being as genuine as ever when I say that you are the ultimate dictionary definition of perfection, and I hope that one day God can bestow me with a woman as beautiful as you, I would be forever grateful.

I hope that this message finds you well, I do not care if I get a response to this, I am just simply stating the obvious and had to let you know how I really felt.

Hi username starts with "bro."

DON'T DO IT!!! :P
  • _DaniD_
    Options

If you're going to make a troll post at least put some effort into it rather than copy pasting. This isn't Bodyspace
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • teajay34
    teajay34 Posts: 7
    Options
    :
    Running won't help you lose weight. Running helps make you awesome!

this :happy:
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 80 lbs with running being my only source of exercise and running a calorie deficit. What I did learn was I needed to improve my nutrition post workout. I consume more protein than I did before to make sure I my body did not go in a catabolic state. I run about 25 - 30 miles a week a have a daily calorie goal of 1650 without exercise.