Anyone eating low carb?

Options
If there is anyone that is eating low carb and wouldn't mind a new friend, I'd love to get some new insight and maybe some new food ideas. I am enjoying the results of eating low carb but am really starting to get bored with eating the same ol thing. I have a lot of weight to lose and this is going to be a long journey for me so Im looking for all the friends and support I can get. Thanks so much!

Replies

• KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am trying! It really makes a difference when I stick with it, too! :)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I did for about 2 months and was successful with it, it certainly made me feel a lot better about my body and has put my stomach in a better position now than it was. However, it wasn't really practical to stay at that for me as I love bread and pasta too much, haha. But I learnt a lot of important things from my time doing it and tend to eat less carbs even now than I did before.
    It's definitely worth pursuing if you are comfortable doing so.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am! Feel free to friend me, I log everyday and if you ever see a recipe I have listed that you're interested in I will always send it :)
  • anetwest
    anetwest Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started eating low carb today. So not much help from me. Other than WE can do it!
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm doing a moderately low carb diet (75-100g). Just started a few days ago. Sent a friend request
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was recommended the book "Metabolism Miracle" by my health care provider, there is also a cookbook by the same author.
    Both were very helpful in helping me change my diet and restoring my health.

I started a very low glycemic diet 18 months ago, the very low carb period lasted 8 weeks, gradually re-introduced low-glycemic carbs into diet, to control insulin production.

Total weight loss so far is 33 lbs, not counting calories at all, just carb counting.

I joined MFP to count calories and get more weight off.

I try to eat the majority of my calories in vegetables and fruits, some lean protein and dairy, a very few whole grain carbs, some olive oil and as little processed foods as humanly possible, which can be challenging at times.

Feel free to add me and look at my food diary, its open :)
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm moderately low carb also, I aim to keep it under 100. Feel free to have a nosey at my diary, I log most days.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I aim for under 50g. I have Hashimoto's-- autoimmune disorder that fried my thyroid. Weight comes on in the blink of an eye, but very, very, very difficult to take back off. I thought it would be impossible...but I went to under 50g, and have lost 10 pounds in about four weeks....slow and steady.

I'm leveling off a bit...but probably 'cause I've inched upwards towards 60-70 some days-- today carb count was 19, including a small glass of wine.

I don't have a lot of variety-- but, not sweating that right now. I have eggs/spinach every morning for breakfast-- spinach salad with cheese and chicken strips most days for lunch...and some type of protein for dinner.

I find I'm MUCH less hungry... "ketosis" which occurs in the absence of carbs forces your body to burn fat for fuel instead of sugar...that process is a natural appetite suppressant. I'm not worrying so much about fat or protein, and count the calories only because it's habit by now...I've been doing this since 2008.

Took off 46 pounds, and as I was eating 1200 calories, training for a half marathon, my weight went up, up, up, up-- after a year of going to doctors, I was finally diagnosed with Hashimotos-- my body is attacking my thyroid. Sucks.

Weight went back up to where I started, and am working my way down again....DEPRESSION-- holy Hannah-- what an ordeal.

Friends here helped me to hang in there and keep trying...and one friend here turned me onto the low carb because she has Hashimotos and her doctor advised her to try it...

I'm blathering away-- good luck to you.
  • 2unique32
    2unique32 Posts: 1
    Options
    i'm doing slim4life. My first 3 days I lost 10lbs. It was all meat as much as I could eat up to 5lbs.
    Now I'm on 3 protein supplements a day, 2 servings of protein , 4 servings of veggies (no carrots), 2 small servings of fruit, 1tbsp fat ( lite margarine) and 2 starches. Im on week 3 and have hit a plateau so its changed up a bit.
  • cenzo152000
    cenzo152000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, I write everything in the diary and try to be exact as possible. I cut mainly carbs and sugar. In fact sugar is amazing - eating bananas increases your daily limit immediately. As for carbs, I cut out bread, bagels and probably other foods that I used to slam down. Focus on carb cutting, then fat and sugar and you will drop quickly.

Second, I have lost 14 pounds in basically a month and a half and its better eating and back in the gym. MFP helps me chart daily intake and nutrition, although I am low on protein too at times. I've focused on working out and driving down overall calories.

Third, adding muscle will level me off, so I this next 15 pounds will be hard. Wish me luck. I will only have pasta once a week - I will never give that up since you have plenty of other junk to cut out. I never drink soda, sugar drinks and other big calorie contributors - as man, they jack your numbers the wrong way. Hey, taco bell anyone ? I'd rather have a few more Johnny Walker Blacks than chocolate cake anyway. 15 more pounds until 200 pounds for this Italian pasta loving guy in NY. Send help !
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am! And I love it! :love:
    Feel free to add me!
    Anyone who is interested in low carb-ing! :flowerforyou:

My newest favorite recipe is this one: LOW CARB MOLTEN LAVA CAKE!! :D
    http://healthyindulgences.net/2009/01/healthy-molten-chocolate-lava-cake/
    but I subsitute the oat flour with coconut flour.

My diary is open and I'm always excited to meet new friends! :drinker:
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am! Feel free to friend me, I log everyday and if you ever see a recipe I have listed that you're interested in I will always send it :)

I've got to go more low carb myself. Can I friend you too?? Pleeeeease??? :bigsmile:
  • immz35
    immz35 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im always low carbing at the moment..

feel free to add me up.

together we soo can do this..
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm trying "my version" of low carb, which is trying to only eat one carb based thing a day. Not a strict definition by any means, but if you're interested--add away!
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been on a low carb diet for almost four weeks. Before I got on MFP, I didn't realize how many carbs vegetables and nuts had, so I wasn't doing as low as I thought I was. My goal is 25 carbs a day, and I get those from vegetables and dairy(cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream). It's easy to stay on, because it's reduced my hunger. I have felt bad for some time now, though. I had a headache for about ten days! It just went away today, and I feel much better, and my energy is back. I'm not tempted to cheat, because I know it would set me back. I would really love to find some friends who are doing the same thing, since this is new to me.
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been doing low carb for the last 4+ months, and the results are great! I started at 353 lbs (I am 57yrs old male 5'9" with Type II Diabetes) and now I weigh 306lbs. I have drastically improved my diabetes control, with better physiological control of the risk factors caused by Type II. All of my doctors are astonished at my rapid improvement in my health. The secret is to avoid ALL starchy carb food including bread, rice corn, peas, ect. My diet profile is 125gm of carbs a day, total calories 2020 Cal. There are low carb breads and wraps that you can use that are high fiber, so you can make a sandwich or breakfast burrito (my favorites). Save your carbs for the green and cruciform vegetables. And there is little hunger, or not feeling satisfied. Be sure to check the lables, and fiber correct some foods, since they count total carbs, which include fiber carbs that you CAN NOT address. I also get about 2000 Cal/week of moderate exercise, treadmill walking and resistance machines. TRY IT, STICK TO IT, USE MPL to track what you eat and you will loose.
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is great if it works for you Christy1759, this is a pure Atkins Phase I diet, basically.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i'm doing slim4life. My first 3 days I lost 10lbs. It was all meat as much as I could eat up to 5lbs.
    Now I'm on 3 protein supplements a day, 2 servings of protein , 4 servings of veggies (no carrots), 2 small servings of fruit, 1tbsp fat ( lite margarine) and 2 starches. Im on week 3 and have hit a plateau so its changed up a bit.

Never heard of that! Interesting though. I might like to look into that more. I am doing a modified low carb diet - have done it seriously in the past, but I believe that all fruits and veggies have good things for us, and going into summer - I just can't resist all of those yummy ones that are best and available in the summer. So if I lose a little more slowly, so be it. I am doing this to be healthy too.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been on a low carb diet for almost four weeks. Before I got on MFP, I didn't realize how many carbs vegetables and nuts had, so I wasn't doing as low as I thought I was. My goal is 25 carbs a day, and I get those from vegetables and dairy(cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream). It's easy to stay on, because it's reduced my hunger. I have felt bad for some time now, though. I had a headache for about ten days! It just went away today, and I feel much better, and my energy is back. I'm not tempted to cheat, because I know it would set me back. I would really love to find some friends who are doing the same thing, since this is new to me.

I've heard of some other people who have gotten headaches on it. Honestly, I always feel better on it. I wonder it you are being too restrictive. The initial phase is only supposed to be for the first 2 weeks, then add in more veggie carbs and maybe some fruits like berries. Also, it is good to take supplements with it - even just a multivitamin, because at the really restrictive phases, you are not getting some things you need from your diet alone. Add potassium supplement if you start getting charly horses or leg cramps. (have your dr check everything with a lab test though - you don't want to overdo potassium either!)
  • fitkemi
    fitkemi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Recently, I did a NO carb diet (except the carbs in fruits and veggies) for 1 week and dropped lbs like crazy! This ended last friday. Now, I am on a low carb diet, because after that experience, I just felt so good but i knew it wasn't a realistic goal for myself to completely stop eating carbs. I have been looking up recipes like a mad lady because, just like you, I dont want to get tired of eating the same stuff, thus making it easier to not succeed. But feel free to add me, I am willing to share ideas, support, and motivate others, and Lord knows I need the support as well!