Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes it will just like walking will
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    It assists in burning calories thus losing more weight more rapidly. So yes, it will most definitely help.. Whoever says it wont is a moron
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    The answer to the question "does running help you lose weight fast?" is a resounding yes, with a big "but" at the end. Vigorous running is the most efficient calorie-burning exercise that you can do. There are other steps involved that are both physical and non-physical. You need to run at the proper intensity level, for the right amount of time, and eat the right food to see results fast.

The Zone

Before strapping on your running shoes, you need to figure out your maximum heart rate. If you're a man, subtract your age from the number 220 to get your MHR; if you're a woman, subtract your age from 226...now determine what 60 to 80 percent of your MHR is. That's your target heart rate. This is the area that you want to keep your heart rate when you are running. This area is known as your "fat burning" zone. According to a 2009 study done at the University of St. Thomas, this is the zone in which fat oxidizes, or burns, faster and more efficiently than any other, topping out at 54.2 percent of the calories burned.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/200652-does-running-help-you-lose-weight-fast/#ixzz2SoH1XAhi

LIVESTRONG>COM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It assists in burning calories thus losing more weight more rapidly. So yes, it will most definitely help.. Whoever says it wont is a moron

You can't say that definitively. If someone is still eating more than they are burning, despite the running, they are not going to lose weight.

Say someone puts $50k a year on a credit card, but they only make $30k a year. If you give them a $10k raise is that going to help them get out of debt? Not unless they stop spending money they don't have. (<-- a lesson for governments worldwide)

Bailout, then rest of us can pay for it.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Running will certainly help you lose weight.

QFT.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the running put you in a caloric deficit...therefore causing you to lose weight?

Potentially. I think the main takeaway for this article is that, simply running (and even weight training, which was an option the participants weere given) may not be enough to create a defecit if your diet continues to be poor.

In the article, they said the women were told not to change their diet. If their "diet" is simply based on eating whatever they want when they're hungry with no awareness of calories or defecits, or if their mindset may say "I ran for 40 minutes, so I deserve that Big Mac / slice of cake", they may very easily be undoing any defecit they created through exercise.

I also agree that this isn't a very well written article, which can be seen where they treat fat loss and weight loss as interchangable. I think most of us here can appreciate that fat loss and weight loss are not always the same thing.
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    The problem with relying on exercise over diet is that when someone gets sick or injured or just too busy and stops exercising for an extended time they will not adjust their eating and they will start piling on the weight.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Ok. Running will help you lose weight with a deficit no doubt. It also (if you don't do weight training) make you lose muscle mass. This my opinion ONLY because this is what happened to me--->>also my protein intake was not .8 or .9 / lb. Now I am lifting heavy only (while dropping weight and eating at a deficit but increasing my protein intake to hold on to my muscle mass). As I said this is what is happening to ME...I'm no expert.
  • workavoidance
    Options
    Disagree. Yes, if you do a few hours of moderate activity per week, it's not going to be the biggest factor. However, if you put in 10 hours + of intense exercise per week, your exercise does start outweighing your eating as the major factor in your weight. For example, if you work a physical job, or you backpack, even a smaller woman can be burning over 3500 calories per day vs. the 1600 the same woman would be burning at a desk for the same amount of time.

I know exercise is indispensable for weight maintenance for me because I just can't manage eating only 1600 calories per day for the rest of my life. Also, when I want to lose weight, I have more success doubling my workouts than cutting 500 calories or so per day.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hate articles like this ...when is the last time anyone has seen a fat runner hahahhaahha
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The person who wrote the article wrote this

"Instead of focusing just on exercise as the key to fat loss, pay more attention to your calorie intake. Knocking off 100 calories a day from your evening snacks can theoretically result in 10 pounds of fat loss in a year. Does one less cookie a day seems simpler than hours of sweating...?"

Um wait... 100 cals less a day for weight loss? only 100? Hell....if anything were that accurate I'd have lost weight years ago. OP why on earth are you listening to this dribble?

What part of eating 100 calories less a day for a year and you'll be 10 lbs lighter do you not understand?

100 calories x 365 days = 36,500 = about 10-1/2 pounds.

Running 300 calories X 365 days = 31 lbs.
  • workavoidance
    Options
    I hate articles like this ...when is the last time anyone has seen a fat runner hahahhaahha

I personally know a number of fat runners. What really pisses me off, is I'm 50 lbs less, and they smoke me!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The problem with relying on exercise over diet is that when someone gets sick or injured or just too busy and stops exercising for an extended time they will not adjust their eating and they will start piling on the weight.

JAY-ZUS HEP ME NOW!!
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset and lifestyle to a more healthy one which includes eating better and working out more. It's not complicated. Eat less calories than you are eating now and burn more calories than you burn now. Stop talking about doing it someday and start right now. TODAY !!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The person who wrote the article wrote this

"Instead of focusing just on exercise as the key to fat loss, pay more attention to your calorie intake. Knocking off 100 calories a day from your evening snacks can theoretically result in 10 pounds of fat loss in a year. Does one less cookie a day seems simpler than hours of sweating...?"

Um wait... 100 cals less a day for weight loss? only 100? Hell....if anything were that accurate I'd have lost weight years ago. OP why on earth are you listening to this dribble?

What part of eating 100 calories less a day for a year and you'll be 10 lbs lighter do you not understand?

100 calories x 365 days = 36,500 = about 10-1/2 pounds.

Running 300 calories X 365 days = 31 lbs.

or in my case & a decent run each day.... 600 calories X 365 days = 62-63lbs
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

I started off as a semi-fat runner.

I've seen fat runners, none outside though. Mostly hiding in the gym.
  • Mareebzz
    Mareebzz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dumb article is dumb.
    Knocking off 100 calories a day from your evening snacks can theoretically result in 10 pounds of fat loss in a year. Does one less cookie a day seems simpler than hours of sweating...?

So they're saying skipping a cookie > running. Derp! Running can help you lose weight and running will do a lot more for your health than skipping a cookie. Of course you can still get fat running. Eating calories is easy but adding running to your plan can help with weight loss because it raises your daily calorie need.

What if I told you that you could not only eat that cookie, but that you could have 3 cookies and still lose weight and have fun. Yep, that's running.

(For me it's like 12 cookies, but I digress)

I love this response. And @iWaffle I love your name. And I love waffles and cookies. And now I'm hungry. Wait, what were we talking about??
  • Race2the9
    Race2the9 Posts: 77
    Options

I see a fat runner everytime I go past a store window!!! I'm a bigger guy! 280lb but when I started running I was 350!!! I did start of 'hiding' in the gym; I hit the treadmill every other day, swimming on the alternate days with wednesday's as my off day. I have lost a total of 70lbs (35 of it since I started on MFP) I have to say, running helped me lose weight!!!

that and not eating my weight in oreo cookies everynight:wink:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I see a fat runner everytime I go past a store window!!! I'm a bigger guy! 280lb but when I started running I was 350!!! I did start of 'hiding' in the gym; I hit the treadmill every other day, swimming on the alternate days with wednesday's as my off day. I have lost a total of 70lbs (35 of it since I started on MFP) I have to say, running helped me lose weight!!!

that and not eating my weight in oreo cookies everynight:wink:

Fat runner here too. I started fat running at 240. Now Im 185ish.. still doing that fat run... on the BIKE PATH not a gym. it exists!!! I promise!
  • superspike113
    Options
    I lost my weight by altering my diet. I maintained that weight but dropped another dress size or two from running- changed my body composition and made me look thinner and leaner.