Do you use the gym showers?

Options

Replies

• MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I always use the showers after Hot Yoga. The facilties at that studio are really clean. I haven't used the showers at my gym as there is a lot of building work being done and it's not very private. In fact you'd be able to see in from the cable pulley machines! There are shower curtains but I still wouldn't feel comfortable using them. 99% of members of my gym are male so the ladies changing/shower haven't been a priorty. The owner says the work should be finished in a week or 2. I'll use them then.

What you can see inside? That's creepy! Whoever designed that gym must have been a weirdo.
    BTW, congrats on losing 100 lbs. Incredible!

Thanks. The gym has recently moved to a new premises so there's still building work being done. Once they've finished people won't be able to see in. I would have to get undressed in the shower itself as it is now and that would be a pain in the *kitten*!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    i have baby wipes in my gym bag
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I pee in the pool, I skip the shower. Otherwise I hit the shower to pee.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use the showers in my West Coast gym. It's a former day spa and they keep everything really clean. My New Mexico showers are not that pristine. I use baby wipes or, since my house is only 1/2 a mile away, I go home and clean up before I go to work.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I did when I went to the gym before work.... around 7ish its pretty much dead so I had the place to myself for the most part.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was a member of Anytime Fitness...the showers there were in private bathrooms so privacy wasn't a problem. I worked about 5 miles from the gym but I lived more like 25 miles away so I would go get a really good workout in before work, shower there, then head to work. I wore sandals in the shower and refused to put my feet on the floors. It's what worked out best for me then. With where I live now, the gym is only a few miles from my house so it's not an issue...I just go home.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. And because most people Don't use them, they are always empty and clean. Why use my water when I am already paying to use theirs?

ETA- The only precaution I would take is use flip flops, just to be on the safe side. But our gym, if nothing else, over disinfects everything.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I do, actually. For some reason, nobody else does, so it's nice having the room all to myself and minimize chances of getting nakey-peeked at. :s

Also, I put my kid in the gym daycare, so I take advantage of the extra free time to shower in peace, instead of showering at home and having the baby trying to get in with me, or crying and pounding on the door or getting into trouble elsewhere in the house. (Moms all over the worlds can relate. :wink: )
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to use the gym showers yet as I workout on my way home from work and just wait and shower when I get home, but if I went in the morning or on my lunch I would definitely use the gym shower. The showers at my gym have two sets of curtains, an outer one that blocks your possessions from general view and an inner one so that they don't get wet from the shower. I bought cheap flip flops to wear in there that I keep in my gym bag so I'm not worried about what sort of fungus I could be getting on my feet.

I bought travel containers for my soap and body wash and keep them in my gym bag as well. Stick them in a ziploc baggie and there are no worries about them leaking all over the gym bag.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    for those who do use the gym showers. do you carry around a wet towel all day? doesn't it get mildewy?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My towel is only damp. But I take along a plastic zipper bag to put it in along with my used gym clothes. The stuff isn't in there long enough to get mildew..... when I get home, it all gets dumped in the washer.
  • momo9128706
    momo9128706 Posts: 45
    Options
    I go to the Ymca and I do use showers there. They are pretty clean, but I still wear flipflops. I only use shower after my swim class though. Other than that, I come home. I only live 5 mins away so it's not that big of a deal. But I do agree with the lady that said I'm already paying their water bill and mine, might as well take advantage!! =]
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Must be different in the men's. In the ladies we have soft music, scented soaps, drinks with umbrellas in them and wild lesbian love parties.

:/

Actually, I do use ours at the pool, because otherwise my hair would stick out like Edward Scissorhand's from the chlorine.

Wow! I'm coming to your gym! :wink:

Me too! I'm down. :drinker:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes I use works gym showers... I wear shower shoes and I don't touch the walls LOL

( I don't see what the big deal is... nobody in the showers is trying to look at you!)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't even know where the bathrooms at my gym are located.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use the showers at my local YMCA, yep. Their change rooms are separated into men's, women's, and family, and the showers are at the rear of each change room, immaculate, and have shower curtains. It feels nice to walk out of the place all squeaky clean after a workout, so I make use of 'em!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'd rather shower at my gym than at home...they have this fancy expensive lemongrass shampoo and bodywash (Bliss)...and i dont wanna put my sweaty butt on my car seat after the sauna either!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Not if I'm going straight home, but if I have to go somewhere else straight after, then of course. I'm not going to go smelling! I work hard when I work out!

Besides, no one is looking at you. People are paying attention to themselves, getting ready for work, chatting with their friends... honestly no one cares what you and your body look like. It's really self absorbed to think otherwise.
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take my shower at the gym every morning. Don't really have any problems with what anyone else thinks or wants to look at. Pretty secure in my skin.
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    After I have had a swim i head to the ladies only shower, and shower in all my naked glory :wink: . I don't see the point in alot of people at my gym/pool who insist on showering with a costume on.... Generally no one's in the shower's when i go in. so a naked strut infront of the shower is always a must once i get out from a swim :laugh: