Ladies - Birth control and weight gain!

Options
13»

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The only reason why I gained weight on the pill was because I had pre-existing hormone issues, including severe insulin resistance and PCOS. The pill can increase insulin resistance. If you don't have a issue with that to begin with, it shouldn't be a problem, but it can wreak havoc on a body already riddled with hormone problems.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tri-Sprintec. Have been for several years. No side effects whatsoever.
  • caeciliamarie
    Options
    Good thread topic! I'm concerned about this, too... about to go on the pill. My doctor told me, though, that usually the most women gain is about a pound which is easy to do during that time-of-the-month anyway. Hoping as long as I keep to my food diary I'll be okay! :)
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Despite what anyone says, women can gain weight from being on birth control because it changes the levels of your hormones. and your hormones control every function of your body. I have been on various birth control pills for over 10 years and have never gained any weight on any of them except for the one I am currently on-and it's about 5 lbs-and thats 5lbs of water, not fat. I suggest going on a low dose pill, the lower the dosage of hormones, esp estrogen, the less likely you are to have side effects. There is also a strong possibility you may have to switch to another after you start taking whatever you decide to take because everyone's body reacts differently to each individual medication.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    the "weight gain" warning refers to a possible approximate 5 pound weight gain - if that side effect even applies to you. So i wouldn't stress - 5lbs isn't much considering how much you might gain without it ;)
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD-no weight gain(the only bc i have ever had without weight gain) But it is terrible for other things... Long list of not so fun goodies-only up is 0 weight gain. :(
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my NuvaRing. I've been on it for well over 4 years and after trying several pills, this is the only thing that's worked for me. My periods have gotten shorter, lighter, and less intense, my PMS symptoms have almost totally disappeared, and it's been completely weight stable. My weight issues are still present, yes, but I haven't gained anything because of the ring. It's easy, convenient, and a total no-brainer for me.

And now that I sound like a fricken commercial for the thing, I will bow out haha.. but I definitely recommend the ring over the pill. Good luck!
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tri-nessa and haven't gained a lb from it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I started birth control 10 years ago and didn't gain any weight from it. All pills for 10 years. Dr wanted me to do the IUD and the Ring, 1. I hate the ring (just something about sticking it up there) and I won't do an IUD as w're hoping to start a family in the next 3 years.

I even just switched by birth control pill to another brand about 6 months ago and I'm losing weight, but no significant weight gain. I've never heard of that, from any of my doctors or friends, none of them have gained weight either.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Caloric surplus= weight gain.

(Side note: I'm on Mirena and its pretty good.)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i love love my nuvaring! it's expensive but worth it.

i have gained weight, and lost it while on BC. it was all due to my eating habits.

i had tried 3-4 birth control pills before nuvaring. most of them gave me crazy mood swings. i recommend nuvaring to every lady who is looking for a new bc.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have been on the nuva ring for years and I love it. I have successfully lost over 50lbs while on it. I would wayyyyy rather have to work harder than have another baby.... 5 is enough for me =)
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You know what really causes weight gain?

Pregnancy.

i love you.
  • tamerita48
    tamerita48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on nuvaring and have had no weight gain. I love it.
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    I take LoEstrin24Fe and love it! There are only four days where you can possibly get your period but that barely even happens! I only use pantyliners just in case but typically I have no period. I have been on birth control for over eleven or so years and have not noticed it contributing to my weight. Contributing to my libedo yes but not weight. I've been on several other oral contraceptives, but like this one the most. Been using LoEstrin24Fe for several years now. Good luck choosing a method that works best for you!
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Now I am only speaking as someone who suffers from PCOS... but anytime I am on BC, it wreaks total havoc on me. I don't gain weight, but I have found that it is harder for me to lose. I'm also moodier :explode: :sad: :happy: and tend to have more cravings.

I'm not a fan of birth control... but you have to do what you have to do!
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only surefire way to avoid weight gain associated with birth control methods is to avoid anything containing hormones (estrogens/progesterone). The only option for hormone-free BC is Paragard. I have it and it has had zero effect on my appetite. It's also the safest form of birth control because it doesn't contain hormones. Hormones put you at an increased risk for developing blood clots, especially if you are already hypercoaguable (clot faster) due to pre-existing (and otherwise silent) genetic factors. However, many women take hormonal BC and never get a clot. Buuuuut just saying, Paragard is arguably the most effective form of birth control with no risk of blood clotting or weight gain due to estrogens/progesterone. It can last up to ten years and can be removed at any time.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If it has estrogen in it...which most birth controls do, it is POSSIBLE to gain weight from it. I was on birth control for 5 years (Yaz) and never gained weight-I contribute my weight gain to numerous other factors, none of which were a direct result from the birth control. However, my bc contributed to a number of other very scary side effects including high blood pressure, interstitial cystitis, and probably contributed to me being hypothyroid d/t estrogen imbalance.

Birth control has a lot of pros, but some pretty nasty potential side effects. Just make sure you look at all the potential side effects before beginning one. And definately go for the lowest dose you possibly can get away with to reduce the chances of estrogen dominance (especially if you plan to be on it for a significant amount of time). You want to get truly terrified, look up estrogen dominance side effects online.

That being said, I'm taking a hiatus from birth control, but have plans to get back on a *different* kind at some point (if and when Mr. Right comes along lol).
  • vixxy83
    vixxy83 Posts: 59
    Options
    well went on a pill (cana remember the name) gained weight then came off that,
    went on to Yasmine lost a ton of weight (and was happy at that weight),
    went on the depo GAINED a ton of weight (didn't like that whatsoever well apart from the non period but then my periods went all over the place after I stopped)
    didn't have anything as I were on anti ds and steroids and made me gain again,
    had my youngest (valentines day of all days :laugh: ) and when I was preggers was size of a house :noway:
    and now im back on yasmine
    but I really do want to be sterilized 4 kids is enough especially before 30 want me body back :cry:

I suppose really is to try different ones out and find whats best for you :smile:
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 5 or 6 years and I've only gained weight when I don't exercise or watch what I eat. I used to think the pill was guilty for the extra pounds, but no... it was my lifestyle.

Good luck with nuvaring!