Casein before bed ?

Options
So obviously i love me my casein and am gonna take it on weight training days, but on non-training days...is it really necessary???

though i found this interesting..."Research from the Weider Research Group discovered that trained bodybuilders drinking a casein protein shake right before bed for eight weeks gained significantly more muscle than those who consumed the same casein shake in the middle of the day." -http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-10-muscle-myths-we-test-research-the-10-biggest-axioms-of-bodybuilding.html (Anyone know where the actual study is though?)

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked for myself, but that research seems potentially shady to me. Not saying it isn't legit, I'm just skeptical. (It's the timing aspect that seems particularly suspect to me.)

And necessary? I'd say no...but if you have the calories left, there are much worse things to consume than additional protein...and I'd guess additional protein in your diet (whenever consumed) will help you with your current goals.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    think about it this way: if you are looking to build muscle, you are eating at a surplus, which for bigger guys means eating all day. my personal maintenance level is ~3700 calories, so when i build, i eat every hour of the day. when you go to bed, your body is left without food for ~8 hours.

Casein actually thickens in your stomach and takes longer to digest. it is also the main protein in milk, which is why you should take your fast absorbing whey protein with water so as to not counteract the benefits of the quick absorbtion.

By taking the casein right before bed (preferably with milk) it can feed your body for up to the next five hours, keeping you out of a completely fasted stage. in this way, your body can repair tissue 24/7 instead of taking a break while you sleep.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    think about it this way: if you are looking to build muscle, you are eating at a surplus, which for bigger guys means eating all day. my personal maintenance level is ~3700 calories, so when i build, i eat every hour of the day. when you go to bed, your body is left without food for ~8 hours.

Casein actually thickens in your stomach and takes longer to digest. it is also the main protein in milk, which is why you should take your fast absorbing whey protein with water so as to not counteract the benefits of the quick absorbtion.

By taking the casein right before bed (preferably with milk) it can feed your body for up to the next five hours, keeping you out of a completely fasted stage. in this way, your body can repair tissue 24/7 instead of taking a break while you sleep.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    This is such an insignificant concern/benefit to 99.9% of people here. Just kick some *kitten* in the gym, eat some food, and don't sweat this kind of stuff.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I was confused...but then saw that you're from Ohio (I went to PSU)...now it makes sense.

^ Don't listen to this.

Eat food, but not too much
    get enough protein
    smash weights in the gym
    get bigger.

That's all there is to it.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

I was confused...but then saw that you're from Ohio (I went to PSU)...now it makes sense.

^ Don't listen to this.

get enough protein
    smash weights in the gym
    get bigger.

And *kitten*
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

And *kitten*

meme googled, lol learn something new every day!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    no and a big NO
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the hype!

Casein is absolutely not needed and marketed as this miracle overnight taking protein powder that is going to deter your gains as you are sleeping and can't eat. As long as you meet your macro and micro nutrients for the day (calorie numbers), get plenty of rest and adequate amounts of water you'll be good to go.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options

But...the guy in the Go Kart...laughed at this concept. :indifferent:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My gut says it's one of those things that has some merit, but in the real world it's pretty insignificant for most people.

Keep your calories in check with your goal
    kick *kitten* in the gym
    repeat.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

^ Don't listen to this.

get enough protein
    smash weights in the gym
    get bigger.

so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something. especially dont insult people who are correct while making yourself look like a dumbass.

do i think this is necessary for everyone? no. is it beneficial for those pushing their bodies hard? yes.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something. especially dont insult people who are correct while making yourself look like a dumbass.

do i think this is necessary for everyone? no. is it beneficial for those pushing their bodies hard? yes.

I did read it. Do you even lift?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something.

In for the science . . .
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Do you even lift?

oh no he di int!
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    it doesnt have to be casein but any slow digesting complex carb is great for your last meal or a few hours before you go to sleep.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the hype!

Casein is absolutely not needed and marketed as this miracle overnight taking protein powder that is going to deter your gains as you are sleeping and can't eat. As long as you meet your macro and micro nutrients for the day (calorie numbers), get plenty of rest and adequate amounts of water you'll be good to go.

agreed. i get all my macros and i fast for at least 16 hours sometimes 18 and once a week for 24 hours and i loose no gains. its all about calories in.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Broscientist right here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something.

In for the science . . .

Me too...I would love for a study to be posted that shows the timing of casein specifically makes a difference.

The link cites no studies.