PLEASE stop saying....

Options

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Ok so in 4 weeks of going to the gym 3 times a week i have managed to lose 1st1lb in fat and gain 8lb of muscle. 4 inches off hips, 4 inches off waist, 4 inches off *kitten* and and inch from each thigh weight loss of 10lb. So you can't build muscle on 1200 calories... Rubbish! I did it!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but no you didn't. You didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Not in 4 weeks, not on 1200 calories, not as a female, not working out 3x a week. Whatever system of measurement you're using isn't accurate.
    Wizadry
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat. Rocks weigh more than feathers. Steel weighs more than paper.

Nope, wrong. It's a physics thing. We're talking mass and volume, not weight.

1 pound of feathers = 1 pound of rocks. However, the volume of feathers will be far greater to equal that same pound.

My dork moment of the day!

BUT....when people say that "Muscle weighs more than fat" on here - they are saying that a toned, muscular and fit 140 pounds looks smaller and tighter than a floppy blubbery 140 pounds of fat, because it is.

People can be so fussy.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat. Rocks weigh more than feathers. Steel weighs more than paper.

Is this why rock beats scissors and if so, how does that make paper beat rock?
  • CeriseLewis
    Options
    Say that!!!
    For heaven's sake...Please stop saying muscle weighs more than fat!!

Sorry for this stupid vent.... been hearing it everywhere..on here - on facebook - face to face etc.

Muscle takes up less space than fat however one pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh...ONE pound!!! LOL

This is why it is important to measure yourself! If your scale is not being nice...measure measure measure!! :)

My vent for the day!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so lead weighs the same as a feathers?

buildings weigh the same as cars?

human babies weigh the same as horses?

or does volume matter? a person would have to be particularly dense not to realize that people are comparing volume
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There are tons of threads about this. I don't know why people seem to think they need to keep posting this.

When people say muscle weighs more than fat they mean that it weighs more for the same size. No one means that the same weight of muscle and fat weigh differently.

This!! People need to relax. Its a saying. People dont honestly believe that 1 pound of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat. They mean that a cup of muscle weighs more than a cup of fat. From a scientific standpoint, the saying makes perfect sense as long as you are comparing like volumes. People like to get bent out of shape for the smallest things, especially when both sides can be true.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ok so in 4 weeks of going to the gym 3 times a week i have managed to lose 1st1lb in fat and gain 8lb of muscle. 4 inches off hips, 4 inches off waist, 4 inches off *kitten* and and inch from each thigh weight loss of 10lb. So you can't build muscle on 1200 calories... Rubbish! I did it!!!

Unlikely. You just "unearthed" the existing muscle you had from the layer of adipose tissue that was on top of it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound. In a way, you are right - 1 rock weighs more then 1 feather, but a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks. You might only need 1 rock that weighs 1 lb, I have no idea how many feathers you would need to equal 1 lb - a lot I would assume.

I guess all the people in the world weigh exactly the same too. I mean, a pound for you is exactly the same as a pound for me.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

or does volume matter? a person would have to be particularly dense not to realize that people are comparing volume

Do dense people weigh more than more fluffy people?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

So what weighs more than, 1lb of rock or 1lb of feathers? Rock is more dense then feather so it weighs more vs volume but 1 lb is 1 pound regardles of the material being weighed. Now per volume rock weighs more than feathers and steel weights more than paper.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For heaven's sake...Please stop saying muscle weighs more than fat!!

Sorry for this stupid vent.... been hearing it everywhere..on here - on facebook - face to face etc.

Muscle takes up less space than fat however one pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh...ONE pound!!! LOL

This is why it is important to measure yourself! If your scale is not being nice...measure measure measure!! :)

My vent for the day!

Most people know that.
    When people say muscle weighs more than fat,they are most of the time
    Talking about density/volume.
    A square foot of muscle weighs more than a square foot of fat,so
    Technically yea it does weigh more :)
    Nice
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    But one pound is one pound. You may only have one brick but a boatload of feathers that equal 1 pound but the both equal 1 pound it is the amount or volume that changes not the measurement
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but no you didn't. You didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Not in 4 weeks, not on 1200 calories, not as a female, not working out 3x a week. Whatever system of measurement you're using isn't accurate.

The gym has not been my only form of working out. I have been hitting it very hard, However i have had my 4 week results confirmed by My GP and the gym both today so yeah i have done it.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I agree with you completely. Muscle is denser and takes up less surface area than fat. :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I see that the posts here are very similar to the posts on the Weight Watchers boards when I was active on them :)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought: why not just take the intelligent route and assume that these people are implying volume when they make this statement and LET IT GO!!!!!!!!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

And have to be particularly dense to argue on the Intrawebz...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Do dense people weigh more than more fluffy people?

i don't if they weigh more, but i'm pretty sure they outnumber them
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bugs me too, but I also know what people mean when they say it and don't make a huge deal =/