PLEASE stop saying....

Options

Replies

• patriciakoppa
    Options
    a specific volume of one is a different weight than the other.... so a cubic inch of one is different. But yes a pound is a pound.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    This again? :yawn:
  • sarakfra
    sarakfra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ugh.gif
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

Found this on the internet so it has to be true... actually its pretty smart on muscle gaining ...

and if i knew how to post a damn picture i found a cool picture of plastic fat and muscle and the VOLUME difference in both.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    omg OP you took the words right out of my mouth! I HATE when people say that! It's like what weighs more a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers? It's the same damn thing! One is less dense than the other! Move along ignorant people!
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Now, next discussion, Why do people think they are loosing fat rather than losing it? I rather lose fat than have loose fat.

That's what I'm sayin' :drinker:
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    so lead weighs the same as a feathers?

buildings weigh the same as cars?

human babies weigh the same as horses?

or does volume matter? a person would have to be particularly dense not to realize that people are comparing volume

Are you not from this world?? There are dense people everywhere!! And some I have come across believe just that... one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat...I am NOT kidding!!! :/

Not speaking of volume which requires the measuring tape...which I mentioned at the end. Speaking solely in relation to scale measurements which takes into account...water - muscle - bone - fat etc. When a friend has been losing for 2 or so months and this week gained almost 2 lbs she was immediately told by 4 different people "you just gained muscle relax, muscle weighs more than fat"
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to care about other people's verbal shortcuts or decipherable misstatements. I don't get worked up over people who say something that might technically be off when I know what they mean by what they are saying.

What does it matter how they word something when they're trying to better themselves?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Ok so in 4 weeks of going to the gym 3 times a week i have managed to lose 1st1lb in fat and gain 8lb of muscle. 4 inches off hips, 4 inches off waist, 4 inches off *kitten* and and inch from each thigh weight loss of 10lb. So you can't build muscle on 1200 calories... Rubbish! I did it!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but no you didn't. You didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Not in 4 weeks, not on 1200 calories, not as a female, not working out 3x a week. Whatever system of measurement you're using isn't accurate.

The gym has not been my only form of working out. I have been hitting it very hard, However i have had my 4 week results confirmed by My GP and the gym both today so yeah i have done it.
    You need to tell us your secret then, because there are tons of men with loads more testosterone than you that are struggling to gain 1-2 pounds of muscle in a months time.

Also, congrats on the success you are having!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Ok so in 4 weeks of going to the gym 3 times a week i have managed to lose 1st1lb in fat and gain 8lb of muscle. 4 inches off hips, 4 inches off waist, 4 inches off *kitten* and and inch from each thigh weight loss of 10lb. So you can't build muscle on 1200 calories... Rubbish! I did it!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but no you didn't. You didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Not in 4 weeks, not on 1200 calories, not as a female, not working out 3x a week. Whatever system of measurement you're using isn't accurate.

The gym has not been my only form of working out. I have been hitting it very hard, However i have had my 4 week results confirmed by My GP and the gym both today so yeah i have done it.

lolNO
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

4 weeks and you "gain" 8lbs of muscle?

Not a change... sorry but there is no way. Under proper conditions a woman can gain maybe 10lbs of a muscle in a YEAR. You cannot and will not gain 8lbs of muscle in a month.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Now, next discussion, Why do people think they are loosing fat rather than losing it? I rather lose fat than have loose fat.

GENIUS
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's simply a saying that people say. As people have said, most people mean volume when they say it. Even if they don't mean that, it doesn't do any harm. If a person says a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, it's not going to cause them to eat a 300 calorie surplus and become over weight.

The only people this bothers are those who have just started learning about fitness and are so stuck up they feel the need to call those who were in the same position as them a few weeks ago, "ignorant"
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I'm sure you've been working your *kitten* off and it sounds like you've got some great results. You should be very proud of what you've done for yourself. Please know that I am not for one minute trying to discredit your success

But you didn't gain 8lbs of muscle.

If your GP and gym are telling you that you should look into replacing them.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Where is azquakery when you need her?
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to care about other people's verbal shortcuts or decipherable misstatements. I don't get worked up over people who say something that might technically be off when I know what they mean by what they are saying.

What does it matter how they word something when they're trying to better themselves?

Not worked up by no means..in fact others are more worked up about me posting this than I was about the issue..talk about touchy people geez!

It was not said to me but to a friend this week. not to mention I have seen it 100 times on this board. And these morons that said it to my friend really believe she gained 2 lbs of muscle in a week!
  • pottert007
    pottert007 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for that. I never really thought about it. I know I gained some weight before but thought I was so good but its possible that since my size didnt change I might have gain some muscle instead.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

lolNO

Sorry but this.

On a diet of only 1200 calories you will most likely lose some muscle. At the very least you may of maintained muscle mass. There is no way you have gained 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Even if you were eating at a surplus, lifting heavy and maxing out on protein you would not of gained 8lbs of muscle in a month. It's not possible. I don't believe a man can even do that under proper conditions. There is something off in the testing that the doctor and the gym has done as your claim is just not possible.

You may of worked hard and had some good results in weight loss but the muscle gain you claim is false. I would personally look for a new doctor and gym if both are telling you that you did in fact gain that amount of muscle.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks - that was the best laugh of the day so far! I think when I go to the gym today I'll just work on loosening my fat!
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Not worked up by no means..in fact others are more worked up about me posting this than I was about the issue..talk about touchy people geez!

It was not said to me but to a friend this week. not to mention I have seen it 100 times on this board. And these morons that said it to my friend really believe she gained 2 lbs of muscle in a week!

How exactly does saying this, make them morons?