Am I the only one who hates Greek yogurt?

Options
Greek yogurt seems to be one of the favorite foods in the healthy eating world and I wanted so badly to love the stuff. But I cannot stomach it- the texture makes me gag and I'm not a fan of the flavor, as it's more sour than traditional yogurt. So far I have tried the Dannon Oikos and the Yoplait Greek yogurt- but both were a no go for me. I also tried the Ben and Jerry's Frozen Green Yogurt and didn't like it as well. Maybe there is one brand that is better than all the others, but so far I have not found it.

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Nope, I hate it too! The only kinds of yogurt I like are the sugary ones...so I just stay away.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I stick to the brands that specialize in greek yogurt - usually chobani or fage. I honestly haven't tried yoplait or dannon ones and probably wouldn't.

Sometimes I do add a tsp of sugar in it though. It's 15 calories and is not gonna kill me, lol.

I really wish they sold 'fromage frais/fromage blanc' here though. It's not as tart.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it's nasty, but I didn't like regular yogurt so it was no surprise to me that it wasn't gonna be the miracle everyone says it is.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Did you try the non-fat? Ick! I love the stuff, and have found taste and texture definitely varies from brand to brand. Trader Joe's and Fage are my favorites, and it's gotta be full fat or 2%. I add it to oatmeal with fruit and honey, walnuts and cinnamon - tastes like dessert. I also eat it with just fruit and honey - it's delicious. The only time I eat it plain is when I use it as a sub for sour cream on a baked potato or with tacos, etc.
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a little more sour taste to it compared to normal yogurt. You can always buy it flavored (with sugar in it) to change the taste. I personally buy it plain and fat free. Alone, the taste is very ordinary but I fill my bowl with pecans, chopped walnuts, honey, chia seeds and berries so it changes the taste and its good! You cant say no to 18g of protein per 2/3 cup :D
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I did only try the light versions. I heard that Fage is good from someone else too, so I need to try that one. I love regular light yogurt so I really do want to like the Greek kind as well.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried it, it seems "grainy" to me. But, they have improved it either by brand or over time. The more I want my protein macros up, the more I like it. Few calories, lot of protein. Adding fruit and a little low fat Kroger granola cereal...YUMMM! It's a fruit parfait treat!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Fage FTW!!!

I would suggest trying both the 0 and 2%. I like the 0 but I LOVE ME the 2% OMG its AGHMAZING.

I also sweeten my plain fage myself with either honey, maple syrup or spenda. A little bit goes a long way and I use a lot less than the amount that is in the pre sweetened versions.

Fage also make fruit flavors which are yummy but have less yogurt (the fruit/honey is in a seperate compartment and you mix when you are ready to eat)

That all being said, maybe you just won't ever like it or develope a taste for it. Thats OK too.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I like to take the plain Greek yogurt and use it as a sub for sour cream on tacos and baked potato. Also, I add a couple of ounces to my shakes in the morning and since there is fruit in there too, you can't really taste the yogurt but it definitely makes it thicker and creamier and adds a few grams of protein. I think that the plain yogurt by itself is nasty though.

Also, I really like the Chobani greek yogurts with the fruit on the bottom. Black Cherry, Blueberry, Strawberry Banana... Once you mix the fruit in there, it doesn't taste much different than regular yogurt just thicker. It does add a lot of sugar but I still think it makes a nice snack.
  • lamcc64
    lamcc64 Posts: 2
    Options
    Not alone at all - the only way I can eat it is to add fresh sliced strawberries and some days even a small handful of Grape Nuts to it; I am eating the Oikos (Dannon) non-fat honey; I tried the plain and literally had to choke it down and even then didnt eat it all (and felt like I was wasting the awesome fresh strawberries).
  • phrozenangel
    phrozenangel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It tasted like sour cream to me.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    you have to add things to it.

i eat plain fat free chobani
    i add 2 tbsp of organic powdered peanut butter which is only 45 calories, 4 grams of protein and turns the flavor into basically a PB pudding

or i add a scoop of protein to my yogurt and it takes on the flavor of the protein
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    also READ THE LABELS

switching from plain to vanilla is a huge jump in sugar
    the ones that "taste good" are always loaded w/ sugars
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    Fage - 0% plain or with honey (add my own or if too lazy or on sale buy the little packs w/ it added), occasionally w/ fruit, but the 2% or whole fage - incredible! Creamy, not sour, filling - so good!

Try some of the "real" types (not light) before writing it off, although one can live without yogurt, I suppose :)
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Fage 0%
    a quarter of a scoop of vanilla protein powder
    add berries and/or granola

my breakfast most days. I love it.
  • TLow97
    TLow97 Posts: 55
    Options
    You're not the only one.

The only time I want Greek yogurt is mixed with chopped-up cucumbers and on a pita.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I just tried the 0 fat Fage last night and it was not at all like sour cream. I had to scrape it off my bean tostada, which wasn't easy. A weird aftertaste lingered there.

Oddly enough, I normally love greek yogurt- Oikos is like heaven in a cup to me. I think that, with the Fage, it wasn't the flavorless part I had issue with, but the absence of fat. I think the few fat grams are worth it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nope, I hate it too! The only kinds of yogurt I like are the sugary ones...so I just stay away.

This ^^ Load it up with sweetness and it's fine. Plain ... :sick:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i havent tried it yet
  • Cpt_Kirk_2013
    Cpt_Kirk_2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It tastes awful. I'm with you on this. You have to add to it for it to be worthwhile.