PLEASE stop saying....

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    The gym has not been my only form of working out. I have been hitting it very hard, However i have had my 4 week results confirmed by My GP and the gym both today so yeah i have done it.
    Well then they are either lying to you or you've misconstrued actual results. Or you're a special snowflake. Realize that the greatest athletes in the world with a perfect regimen and nutrition would have a VERY DIFFICULT time putting on 8lbs of lean muscle in a month. Pro body builders live and eat just to gain muscle and this doesn't happen with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    Every time I see another one of these types of threads:

Bp9an.gif
  • ShaeLovelyy
    ShaeLovelyy Posts: 55
    Options
    OMG i cant with this post....obviously two things that are both 1 pound....weigh one pound!!! As someone said before steel weighs more than feathers. LMAO....muscle is more dense than fat taking up less space. Muscle does way more than fat though...if you take say a cubic inch as everyone is saying..the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat. Also, im 5 foot 11 and i weight 170 pounds but i am pretty much solid muscle and have been an athlete all my life..theres people who are my same height..just as thin..but they dont lift or build muscle or anything and they weight roughly 150 or so...Muscle does weight more than fat my loves! But screw the scale and get to lifting!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    when comparing two masses against each other for weight value, you use the same mass. This is basic science for comparison. So if the same amount of mass was used for both muscle and fat, then muscle does weigh more than fat.

Weight is a function of gravity, which is constant. If the mass is the same, then weight is also the same.
    Really? So something on Earth weigh's the same on the moon? Because gravity of both is quite different. Mass is constant. Mass is the same on Earth as it is on the moon. Gravity isn't constant.
    And you can't tell me that a cubic foot of muscle doesn't weigh more than cubic foot of fat. Well you can, but that would be inaccurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1 litre of kettlebells has the same volume as 1 litre of shakeology.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    LOL...just sayin ya'll are IN-FREAKING-SANE!

I like it!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For heaven's sake...Please stop saying muscle weighs more than fat!!

Sorry for this stupid vent.... been hearing it everywhere..on here - on facebook - face to face etc.

Muscle takes up less space than fat however one pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh...ONE pound!!! LOL

This is why it is important to measure yourself! If your scale is not being nice...measure measure measure!! :)

My vent for the day!

Um so people can't say muscle weighs more than fat, but you can say muscle takes up less space than fat, and it is ok? right.... that just ruins your whole post.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's like a joke my brother used to try to fool me on.

You have a pound of bricks and a pound feathers.... which weighs more?
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    sorry but it does....the same sized cube of muscle weighs more than the same sized cube of fat......
  • bagge72
    Options
    Ok so in 4 weeks of going to the gym 3 times a week i have managed to lose 1st1lb in fat and gain 8lb of muscle. 4 inches off hips, 4 inches off waist, 4 inches off *kitten* and and inch from each thigh weight loss of 10lb. So you can't build muscle on 1200 calories... Rubbish! I did it!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but no you didn't. You didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. Not in 4 weeks, not on 1200 calories, not as a female, not working out 3x a week. Whatever system of measurement you're using isn't accurate.

The gym has not been my only form of working out. I have been hitting it very hard, However i have had my 4 week results confirmed by My GP and the gym both today so yeah i have done it.

No it hasn't, it just isn't possible. You have made your existing muslce larger, and it also has a lot more water in it since you are actually working out, but you haven't put on two pounds of muscle a week for 4 weeks. Also if you only lost 1lbs of fat, and put on 8lbs of muscle you wouldn't have lost that many inches, muscle isn't that much smaller than fat.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a more accurate statement would be to state that muscle has a much higher density than fat.
  • bagge72
    Options
    omg OP you took the words right out of my mouth! I HATE when people say that! It's like what weighs more a pound of rocks or a pound of feathers? It's the same damn thing! One is less dense than the other! Move along ignorant people!

People aren't saying a pound vs. a pound though, so it isn't the same thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Sorry for this stupid vent.... been hearing it everywhere..on here - on facebook - face to face etc.

Muscle takes up less space than fat however one pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh...ONE pound!!! LOL

This is why it is important to measure yourself! If your scale is not being nice...measure measure measure!! :)

My vent for the day!

Meh, I wish people would stop posting nonsense like this ^^ Who only has one pound of fat and one pound of muscle?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

My vent for the day!

Lol yea, I just shrug it off... I know what they are really trying to say. And the 'know it all' lecture in bro-science responses are really not necessary for most people.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options

My vent for the day!

Most people know that.
    When people say muscle weighs more than fat,they are most of the time
    Talking about density/volume.
    A square foot of muscle weighs more than a square foot of fat,so
    Technically yea it does weigh more :)

^ Thanks, This pretty much sums it up.

Now, next discussion, Why do people think they are loosing fat rather than losing it? I rather lose fat than have loose fat.

RIGHT!!! This makes me crazy :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    How come no one is putting up this picture? I thought it explained everything perfectly.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

But they both weigh exactly the same.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The thing I find the silliest about these arguments on this site is that the question being asked is nearly always "Why am I losing inches but not weight". The answer is because you are losing more fat than muscle and muscle weighs more (i.e. is heavier).

To then start an argument over whether one pound = one pound is beyond ridiculous since we already know pounds are not the issue. Inches are. (or sometimes kg vs. cm).

So keep your silly 1 lb of everything and tell me how I would be smaller but not lighter, unless it's because what I'm maintaining weighs more than what I'm losing.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How come no one is putting up this picture? I thought it explained everything perfectly.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

But they both weigh exactly the same.

Exactly! 5lbs muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat. THE SAME!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    It should be repeated often. It should be a sticky and part of a welcome message when people join the site. lol
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    When I was in 4th grade, I remember a 3rd grader crushing her oreos on the playground. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "I wanted to make more cookies, so I am crushing them so there would be more". I feel just as smart today, knowing why her reasoning was so far off, as I feel right now reading these posts! :drinker: