Am I the only one who hates Greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It is DISGUSTING!!! I even tried to use the plain in a smoothie thinking the fruit would make it taste better and no one on the family could get it down. I can't understand how everyone raves about it so much. The only ones that are bearable are the ones with all the mixed fruits in it and those are so high in added sugar.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    The texture grosses me out!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it but you can always add a little sprinkling of zero calorie jelly (jello) powder. It flavours it and gives it a different texture.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff more for me.
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't like Greek yogurt on it's own, but I'll put it in a smoothie. I also LOVE to take vanilla Greek yogurt and put a package of hot cocoa mix in it. Stir it up, takes like a cross between chocolate mousse and chocolate cheesecake! Sooo good!!!!!!
  • Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    You should eat it like the Greeks do. Add walnuts and drizzle honey on top. If the ratio is right yogurt to walnuts to honey, then it's delicious.
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am actually greek so I can tell you all the only actual greek brand that exists in greece as well is fage . The rest are not greek they just have greek names and they make something like greek yoghourt but not with greek milk or anything . Greek natural yoghourt actually is much more fat and sour than the fage yoghourt that is prosessed , so people who are on a diet usually avoid it . Also on the top is a coat of fat / Anyway fage total yoghourt is amazing and whenever I am away from greece i look for that in other countrys . It is tasty and low cal and also healthy and ood for the stoomach
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did only try the light versions. I heard that Fage is good from someone else too, so I need to try that one. I love regular light yogurt so I really do want to like the Greek kind as well.

I think this is the problem. If you try proper Greek Yogurt instead of non-fat, you may find a huge difference. I sure did! I found the non-fat Greek yogurt definitely more sour, and had a very different texture. The proper stuff has a texture closer to soft serve ice cream...and the taste is amazing!Don't be afraid of the fat! Within reason, it's very good for you. And the calories aren't hugely different between regular/non-fat
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Yes, it turns out you are the only one who hates Greek yogurt.

Thank you so much for your wonderful, insightful and EXTEMELY polite respose! I am sure you feel better about yourself being the wicked witch of the west in your response. I was simply putting my feelers out to see if anyone else felt the way I did and perhaps had pointers to better brands. I got tips for brands and better ways of eating it, which is great. Perhaps I went about the thread wrong. I should have simply asked outright. You have a super fantastic day now.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am actually greek so I can tell you all the only actual greek brand that exists in greece as well is fage . The rest are not greek they just have greek names and they make something like greek yoghourt but not with greek milk or anything . Greek natural yoghourt actually is much more fat and sour than the fage yoghourt that is prosessed , so people who are on a diet usually avoid it . Also on the top is a coat of fat / Anyway fage total yoghourt is amazing and whenever I am away from greece i look for that in other countrys . It is tasty and low cal and also healthy and ood for the stoomach
    Fage is my favorite. Nom Nom Nom
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I suppose you're not.

But I LOVE it! The stuff you call Fage in the USA (we call it Total) - full fat - om nom nom nom....
    I eat it with almost anything. Shredded mint and it's superb with roast lamb, a drizzle of honey and some walnuts on top of oatmeal, a big dollop on its own on top of a lentil dal or veg curry....

mmmmmm :flowerforyou:
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    you have to add things to it.

i eat plain fat free chobani
    i add 2 tbsp of organic powdered peanut butter which is only 45 calories, 4 grams of protein and turns the flavor into basically a PB pudding

or i add a scoop of protein to my yogurt and it takes on the flavor of the protein

Wait. Organic powdered peanut butter is a thing that exists? OMG. I must hunt this down and make it mine.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's nasty stuff.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your wonderful, insightful and EXTEMELY polite respose! I am sure you feel better about yourself being the wicked witch of the west in your response. I was simply putting my feelers out to see if anyone else felt the way I did and perhaps had pointers to better brands. I got tips for brands and better ways of eating it, which is great. Perhaps I went about the thread wrong. I should have simply asked outright. You have a super fantastic day now.
    tl;dr
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

tl;dr

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Hangry much?
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't really even like regular yogurt! They only kind I like are the yoplait whips.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Have a cookie. Relax.
  • Dcharnice
    Dcharnice Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just started Greek yogurt & I must agree that the taste & texture are not up to par with the regular low fat flavored yogurts I am use to eating. I went with Dannon Light & Fit Greek 2x protein because I was drawn in by the 12 grams of protein & 80 calories per serving. I will give it a good try before I decide if I am gonna stick with it or drop it like a bad habit.
  • Nycteris
    Nycteris Posts: 4
    Options
    I stick to the brands that specialize in greek yogurt - usually chobani or fage. I honestly haven't tried yoplait or dannon ones and probably wouldn't.

Sometimes I do add a tsp of sugar in it though. It's 15 calories and is not gonna kill me, lol.

I really wish they sold 'fromage frais/fromage blanc' here though. It's not as tart.

OOooh yes, Fage is my absolute favorite.