Am I the only one who hates Greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I tried some plain Greek yogurt last night. It reminded me too much of sour cream on its own, but it worked out quite well once I added some peanut butter. It's just something that I'll have to eat flavored somehow. Fortunately, there are a million ways to handle that issue.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hated it at the start I found it too plain and not really nice even adding fruits. The only way I managed to eat greek yoghurt is by adding jam or strawberries.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I've tried every brand available here. Fage has turned out to be the best of the lot for me. I love it with fresh fruit. Use it for a veggie dip also.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt seems to be one of the favorite foods in the healthy eating world and I wanted so badly to love the stuff. But I cannot stomach it- the texture makes me gag and I'm not a fan of the flavor, as it's more sour than traditional yogurt. So far I have tried the Dannon Oikos and the Yoplait Greek yogurt- but both were a no go for me. I also tried the Ben and Jerry's Frozen Green Yogurt and didn't like it as well. Maybe there is one brand that is better than all the others, but so far I have not found it.

I also despise Greek yogurt for the same reasons you mentioned above. I have found, however, that Kroger brand Lite Nonfat Greek yogurt blueberry, strawberry, and peach flavors are pretty tolerable. I think just shop around until you find one that's ok for you if you really think you need to eat it. It's honestly NOT necessary to eat things that make you gag. LOL
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    So far I have tried the Dannon Oikos and the Yoplait Greek yogurt- but both were a no go for me.

Blech. There are a slew of weirdass ingredients in these brands that I don't want to consume.

The best Greek yogurts I've found so far are President's Choice (peach passionfruit) and Liberté (the pear FROÚTO is mouthwatering).
    I don't eat plain Greek yogurt on its own though, instead I use it for baking/cooking substitutions in place of sour cream
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My first experience with Greek yogurt was also very negative. I tried it again but this time chose the kind with fruit in the bottom. You would not believe the difference it made! I also enjoy adding granola, trail mix, or sometimes other types of cereal to it. Definitely helps the texture. The big thing for me is that Greek yogurt is one of my protein staples. I'm currently working on eating a plant and fish based diet (pescatalian).
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No. I can't stand it. So gross.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Fage is the best I have found. I did not like it at first either. But Fage makes wonderful fat free greek yogurt with flavors that make it taste more like a dessert instead of sour. Raspberry and Blueberry are my fav.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone -- can't stand the stuff and I refuse to try to "acquire" a taste for it when there are so many other good healthy things I like to eat! I can get my protein elsewhere . . . :happy:
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not for everyone! But I LOVE it!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Before I gave up dairy, I was in the same boat as you.

I ended up REALLY liking the Chobani Champions yogurts - they were greek yogurts, but were formulated more for kids and for whatever reason, they tasted (and the texture was) a heck of a lot more like "regular" yogurt.

I did use plain greek yogurt in some recipes (dips, etc.) and for that it was fine. But to eat straight, I had to go with the Chobani Champions yogurts.

These days I eat (and thoroughly enjoy) organic soy-based yogurts.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating them as yogurt. They're OK as a sour cream substitute in cooking, though.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    The only way I can eat it is if I add a bit of honey. Otherwise I find it to be too sour.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, I absolutely love the "Danon Light and Fit Greek 80 Calorie" yogurt in Strawberry and Raspberry.

I have tried a few other brands (including the "real" Chobani brand), but I still like this exact one the best. It seems to have the most protein for the lowest calories, and I think it tastes the best. I would just try it a few times, you might end up loving it!

I also buy plain non-fat greek yogurt (just Walmart brand), and use it to make ranch dip for eating veggies - just mix the greek yogurt with ranch seasoning, and it's way healthier than using regular ranch.
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't stand smooth food, like pudding. I also could never stand to eat yogurt. But, oh my heavens, my addiction is now Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt and I add Bear Naked Fit Vanilla Almond Granola Crunch (in the cereal aisle at walmart- close to the healthy cereals) to it. It is my nightly treat!
  • dyermatt5
    dyermatt5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Choboni greek non fat strawberry yogurt is delicious and I mostly eat it right after I work out! Yummo and good amount of protein! :)
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt mixed with honey or jam (and on more indulgent days, caramel) but I get why some people think even that combination is too sour/thick/gross.

Have you tried mixing it with light hershey chocolate syrup? It becomes thinner and much sweeter after you do that, almost like regular typical yogurt. And it only adds 45 - 90 calories, depending on if you add 1 or 2 servings.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan but personal taste is personal taste.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried the Yoplait plain Greek, I thought it was a little on the bitter or sour side, but I've been having it in my lunch and I've grown to appreciate its flavor more. I actually like the thick texture. You could add your choice of fruit or something else to it to make it more palatable. The main reason I like it isn't because of the taste; it's because of the 15 grams of protein in a 6 ounce. If you get any of the flavored ones, the tradeoff is less protein, and most likely a lot more sugar. But hey, to each his/her own.