Paleo Diet Assoc With NegChanges to BloodLipid in HealthySub

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/54660/E_Trexler_Thesis.pdf?sequence=3

Dietary Intervention
A Paleolithic diet, as first described by Eaton and Konner, was implemented for all study
participants [16]. Subjects were advised to increase their consumption of lean meat, fish,eggs,
nuts, fruit, and vegetables and were instructed to strictly avoid all grains, dairy
products, and legumes. All modern, processed foods including any form of processed
sugar, soft drinks, and coffees were also excluded from the diets of the subjects. No
specific macronutrient recommendations were made, as the study design wanted to
closely mimic a real world model that would incorporate food choices made by the
average consumer. Intake of specific proportion of food categories (e.g. animal vs. plant
foods) was also not given. Dietary recall logs were distributed to all subjects during the
last week of the dietary intervention and subjects were asked to record all food and
liquids over three days, including a weekend day.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, our study shows that the Paleo diet was significantly deleterious to blood
lipid profiles in healthy subjects concurrently participating in a CrossFit-based, highintensity
circuit training program. Specifically, subjects with optimal initial blood lipid
values demonstrated the greatest increase in LDL, TC/HDL, TC, and n-HDL values,
along with the greatest decline in HDL values, following the 10-week Paleo diet
intervention. Despite concurrent improvements in aerobic capacity and body composition
noted in these subjects, the Paleo diet may have negated the positive effects of exercise
on blood lipids.

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BIsSMf0.gif
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BIsSMf0.gif

I don't care what my personal opinion is, I can't get enough of this .gif
    I'm dying of laughter...'cause *kitten*'s about to get real. LOL
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Them long words is making me head hurt!

Thanks for the link and the summary--glad to see a study that attaches some numbers to common sense. Though I do not think this will convince elimination diet fanatics who are convinced that grains, legumes and dairy are evil.

Edit: too bad it isn't peer-reviewed or published (though I see it was only just finished)--I hope they publish it soon, and maybe the CrossFit/Paleo folks will notice.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ideal physique
    captaincaveman-det.gif
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    One thing I noted from the study is that only 8 people out of the 43 turned in a usable food log. If they weren't willing/dedicated/observant/whatever enough to fill out a 3 day food log, it is hard to imagine that they were sticking to even the minimal Paleo guidelines they were given. Without knowing what these people were actually eating it is a stretch to cry foul on Paleo as a whole. Sure, they gave it a nice spin by talking about seeing how a free-living Paleo eater would do, but that kind of approach is pretty poor science.

I also found it interesting that they took the before and after measurements within 1-5 day periods before and after the test period. I expect that you could see a statistically significant change in a number of those measures over 5 days, seems like another sign of poor study design to have a variable and possibly lengthy delay.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    One thing I noted from the study is that only 8 people out of the 43 turned in a usable food log. If they weren't willing/dedicated/observant/whatever enough to fill out a 3 day food log, it is hard to imagine that they were sticking to even the minimal Paleo guidelines they were given. Without knowing what these people were actually eating it is a stretch to cry foul on Paleo as a whole. Sure, they gave it a nice spin by talking about seeing how a free-living Paleo eater would do, but that kind of approach is pretty poor science.

I also found it interesting that they took the before and after measurements within 1-5 day periods before and after the test period. I expect that you could see a statistically significant change in a number of those measures over 5 days, seems like another sign of poor study design to have a variable and possibly lengthy delay.

Agreed^.

A study of only 43 people. And they were advised to eat "lean" meat (so probably avoided fat) and they were not observed. Most people I know eating SAD wouldn't have a clue what foods to eliminate if they were told to eat no grain, legumes, or dairy. A three day food diary, that only a few people completed? Some study. There's no way to determine "causation" in such an uncontrolled study.

As long as I have been here on MFP, I fail to figure out why the OP is so against a lifestyle that promotes consuming more natural foods, and less processed foods. The OP keeps pushing that the paleo/primal/keto lifestyle is unhealthy when logically, by avoiding processed foods, it can't help but be healthier than SAD. I'm thinking the OP might be on the payroll of one of the big food manufacturers. I can find no other explanation.

There are far more than 43 primal/paleo/keto people here who have shared their before and after blood work, and there is much change. Most notably in triglycerides and LDL/HDL ratios. (Surely the OP knows that total cholesterol is a meaningless number and does not predict heart disease.)

OP: congratulations on all the hard work you do to turn people away from a lifestyle that may extend their life, or at the very least, vastly improve quality of life. I'm sure that the pharma/food processing/chem industries are all very thankful. Sick/fat people are great for profits. :drinker:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A study of only 43 people. And they were advised to eat "lean" meat (so probably avoided fat) and they were not observed. Most people I know eating SAD wouldn't have a clue what foods to eliminate if they were told to eat no grain, legumes, or dairy. A three day food diary, that only a few people completed? Some study. There's no way to determine "causation" in such an uncontrolled study.

A study with 43 subjects can have sufficient statistical power if the right kind of data are collected from each subject. I would be more worried about their use of t-tests for statistical analysis. For a design like this, you would want to use a hierarchical linear regression (i.e., a mixed effects model) to allow the regression slope for the dependent variable to vary by participant. This is something that a decent peer-reviewed journal would probably make them do. The graphs also do not provide sufficient information as to the amount of variance; the error bars go in one direction only. Still, the effect size seems to suggest that the results will hold up even in a more rigorous analysis.
    As long as I have been here on MFP, I fail to figure out why the OP is so against a lifestyle that promotes consuming more natural foods, and less processed foods. The OP keeps pushing that the paleo/primal/keto lifestyle is unhealthy when logically, by avoiding processed foods, it can't help but be healthier than SAD. I'm thinking the OP might be on the payroll of one of the big food manufacturers. I can find no other explanation.

That is probably because you are assuming that there are only two alternatives: SAD vs. Paleo. There are many, many other ways to eat besides SAD: the Mediterranean diet, which has been the subject of good rigorous studies; many vegetarian diets; a flexible diet of whole foods that does not impose restrictions against grains, legumes, and dairy; etc., etc.
    There are far more than 43 primal/paleo/keto people here who have shared their before and after blood work, and there is much change. Most notably in triglycerides and LDL/HDL ratios. (Surely the OP knows that total cholesterol is a meaningless number and does not predict heart disease.)

References?
    OP: congratulations on all the hard work you do to turn people away from a lifestyle that may extend their life, or at the very least, vastly improve quality of life. I'm sure that the pharma/food processing/chem industries are all very thankful. Sick/fat people are great for profits. :drinker:

Again, you are assuming a false dichotomy. See above.
  • susanitalee
    Options
    I know I'm very late to this party, but I've been Paleo for almost two years and my blood lipid profiles improved dramatically within the first 30 days and have continued to improve. Before going Paleo I was pre-diabetic and my triglycerides were high as was my blood pressure. I worked out like mad before and followed a Mediterranean diet. Nothing worked for me health-wise, but the Paleo diet. Now all my blood test results are excellent.

I should note that before eating Paleo I have tried: The Blood Type Diet, Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, Atkins and the South Beach Diet. On almost every diet I would lose about 6-9 pounds in the first 60-90 days and then gain it all back even though I was very strict with it and worked out. I felt horrible on Weight Watchers, NutriSystem and Atkins. I felt pretty good on the Blood Type Diet and the South Beach Diet. By far, I feel the most energy on Paleo.

Another important thing is that many people who try the Paleo diet aren't doing it right at all. They gorge on fat and protein and forget that you're supposed to eat a ton of veggies. I eat veggies all day long, even at breakfast.

I have fibromyalgia and hypoglycemia. Because of my body's inflammation response, it is almost impossible for me to lose weight so I still struggle with that, but I feel a zillion times better and if you believe my blood tests, I'm much healthier.

My work recently did a fitness challenge and even though borderline obese in the weight charts, I was healthier than almost anyone else. My oxygen intake was at elite athlete level.

I eat almost exclusively organic foods (I would say 90% organic). I have wondered if this has something to do with it.

It was so easy to do a Mediterranean diet, but a Paleo diet is tremendously difficult to do and crazy expensive. I'm very strict with it. I probably eat Paleo 95% of the time. When I don't, my pain flares up and I have stomach issues.

However, I don't think any one diet helps everyone. You have to find what works for you.

That's my two cents...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    And they were advised to eat "lean" meat (so probably avoided fat) and they were not observed.

Actually the study says that they were eating an "ad libitum application of the Paleo diet, without restrictions on intakes of fatty meat, eggs, nuts, and oils".

What is noticeable is that ALL those 43 partecipants were doing crossfitt. It is not told if they started crossfitt and paleo at the same time, but as far as I know, crossfitt is a pretty stressful routine, so it is likely that the worsening of the lipid profile is due to the oxidative stress of their work-out (a control group would have told us...).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Fad diet has unforseen side effects?

Well there's a surprise!

Well, to be fair, there are a lot of things about the study that I've seen picked apart about other studies, like small sample size and self-reporting.

Saying that, it's certainly a finding that would call for further study.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anything new has turned up since this thread was posted in 2013.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wonder if anything new has turned up since this thread was posted in 2013.

I just googled it and no, just the final version of the paper (which I have not read tbh).

ETA: find it here
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is a master's thesis, and not a study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal. That being said, it's always a bad idea when people eat ad libitum. That never ends well.

I follow a Paleo style of eating, but still monitor calories and macronutrients. I eat 3-4 ounces of meat, chicken or fish for lunch and dinner, two eggs a day, and use fats and oils by the teaspoon. I eat a half-ounce of nuts at a time maybe one or twice a week. The rest--fruits, veggies, sweet potatoes, a quarter-cup of yogurt a day, lots and lots of berries. And, being small, middle-aged, and inactive except for 45 minutes of cardio a day, I stay at 1200 calories. Haven't had any white flour since January 1. I think beans are a healthy food, so I will eat them from time to time.

I guess all this is to say that it may be that the real issue with "eating Paleo" might be the portion sizes, at least in this paper, and perhaps even in general.

I might submit this to that prestigious medical journal named Duh.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    BIsSMf0.gif

Indeed. A PE dept masters thesis.

It's data. Sure. And folks will cherry pick it like there's no tomorrow.

Until the next (hopefully peer reviewed) study comes along.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    How do people even find nearly 2 year old threads to comment on? If it's a terribly niche topic where the last relevant thread on it was quite some time ago then I could understand it, but I'm preeeeeetty sure there have been one or two threads on Paleo since May of 2013. How does one make the decision that THIS is the thread to bump? Or, how do you not notice the date created? I'm not being snarky at all, I'm just constantly genuinely fascinated by zombie threads and am truly curious.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    This is a master's thesis, and not a study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal. That being said, it's always a bad idea when people eat ad libitum. That never ends well.

I follow a Paleo style of eating, but still monitor calories and macronutrients. I eat 3-4 ounces of meat, chicken or fish for lunch and dinner, two eggs a day, and use fats and oils by the teaspoon. I eat a half-ounce of nuts at a time maybe one or twice a week. The rest--fruits, veggies, sweet potatoes, a quarter-cup of yogurt a day, lots and lots of berries. And, being small, middle-aged, and inactive except for 45 minutes of cardio a day, I stay at 1200 calories. Haven't had any white flour since January 1. I think beans are a healthy food, so I will eat them from time to time.

I guess all this is to say that it may be that the real issue with "eating Paleo" might be the portion sizes, at least in this paper, and perhaps even in general.

I might submit this to that prestigious medical journal named Duh.

Well, let's see. I eat a few grams of nuts once or twice a week. I freely eat yogurt, berries, veggies, sweet potatoes, two eggs a day, and think beans are a great, healthy food. I, too, stay at 1200 calories. I'm older and short.

I haven't had white flour since September, 1997. Heck, I haven't had wheat since then.

Can I be paleo?

I'm a vegetarian, btw. Your diet just sounds like normal, balanced nutrition comprised of yummy food.

I'm not sure what my point is, other than the vagueness of the "paleo" label.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    How do people even find nearly 2 year old threads to comment on? If it's a terribly niche topic where the last relevant thread on it was quite some time ago then I could understand it, but I'm preeeeeetty sure there have been one or two threads on Paleo since May of 2013. How does one make the decision that THIS is the thread to bump? Or, how do you not notice the date created? I'm not being snarky at all, I'm just constantly genuinely fascinated by zombie threads and am truly curious.

Lord. Why WAS this bumped? Thanks. Wish I'd noticed before I bothered replying.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Because they have to tell the world about their n=1 and hopefully it gets published in the International Journal of Beliefs and Feelings.
  • jvt63
    Options
    And, you know, thinking more about this, a Mediterranean-style way of eating may well be superior--it's been studied rigorously and meat is used as a condiment rather than as the main attraction of meals. There's even a Mediterranean Diet pyramid, which makes it clear that there ain't no eating ad libitum without consequences.

When I got here, I identified as Paleo, but because I know a bit about nutrition, I took what made sense and didn't do what didn't make sense to me. Beans? Healthy food. Me eat. Dairy? A bit here and there. Meat? Sure, but I'm not Fred Flintstone. I still avoid cheese and white flour, but more because I love them and do better leaving them alone than limiting my consumption.

One thing I have realized, that Paleo brought home to me in a huge way--I don't feel good when I eat processed food, so I don't eat it, unless it's a special occasion, and even then I limit my portions.

So maybe I don't "eat Paleo." Not sure, and I guess it doesn't matter. I just eat what makes my body feel good. But it was Paleo that got me thinking seriously about eating mostly whole, natural food. I miss chips and sweets at times, but I value feeling slimmer, healthier, and more energized more than I value those foods.

• jvt63
    Options
    This is a two year old thread?

*kitten*.

*Hangs head, walks away*