Need help figuring out your TDEE? Get a Fitbit.

Options

Replies

• GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!

I trust my fitbit (as well as love & adore it) & it's burn estimates are totally in line with any TDEE calculations I've done. By using & trusting my fitbit I have been losing weight slowly but in a totally maintainable, achievable & healthy way. It has changed everything for me, I'm more active every day & not afraid to eat; it's an absolutely amazing tool, especially for someone like me who has never been interested in health & fitness - it makes the detail interesting & accessable.

Get one.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It gave you 13000 steps during your bumpy car ride?? I haven't heard of it doing that many before!

well... it may be because i keep it clipped to my bra, so when things are bumpy um... yeah lol. I had the same thing in the fall when I went on an off-road jeep ride.

For those who commented that we can account for that later on by adjusting that number via the web site, yes absolutely, on those days when it's this obvious. but the fact that it's sensitive enough to give me 13000 for car ride, leaves me with the impression that there are other, more subtle inaccuracies on a normal day to day basis.

If you know when you are driving and see a major inaccuracy of 13000 steps during that time, it will be pretty obvious that it's picking up bumps, I think? If you know you sat from 9-12 P.M. and it says you walked 13000 steps, there is something wrong with the device.

yes, but if you read the end of what I wrote, I address that: the fact that it's sensitive enough to give me 13000 for car ride, leaves me with the impression that there are other, more subtle inaccuracies on a normal day to day basis.

I drive over an hour a day on back roads...your fitbit is broke if its giving you 13000 steps...mine don't. I have a fitbit and a HRM and I like my fitbit more...it clips on and no one knows I'm using it but me...I have been using it since February when my weight loss slowed for almost 2 months...I have loss weight steadily since I started using it...it is so accurate that I know mathamaticly within .2 of a pound how much I will weigh before I get on the scale...

I guess what I'm saying is call fitbit because yours is malfunctioning!!!

Do you eat exactly what it says you need to eat?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It gave you 13000 steps during your bumpy car ride?? I haven't heard of it doing that many before!

well... it may be because i keep it clipped to my bra, so when things are bumpy um... yeah lol. I had the same thing in the fall when I went on an off-road jeep ride.

For those who commented that we can account for that later on by adjusting that number via the web site, yes absolutely, on those days when it's this obvious. but the fact that it's sensitive enough to give me 13000 for car ride, leaves me with the impression that there are other, more subtle inaccuracies on a normal day to day basis.

If you know when you are driving and see a major inaccuracy of 13000 steps during that time, it will be pretty obvious that it's picking up bumps, I think? If you know you sat from 9-12 P.M. and it says you walked 13000 steps, there is something wrong with the device.

yes, but if you read the end of what I wrote, I address that: the fact that it's sensitive enough to give me 13000 for car ride, leaves me with the impression that there are other, more subtle inaccuracies on a normal day to day basis.

I drive over an hour a day on back roads...your fitbit is broke if its giving you 13000 steps...mine don't. I have a fitbit and a HRM and I like my fitbit more...it clips on and no one knows I'm using it but me...I have been using it since February when my weight loss slowed for almost 2 months...I have loss weight steadily since I started using it...it is so accurate that I know mathamaticly within .2 of a pound how much I will weigh before I get on the scale...

Same here. Not a single step while driving.

And definitely call Fitbit. They have a ridiculously awesome customer service reputation. I've heard many stories of them sending out replacements for washed fitbits, lost fitbits, slightly wiggy fitbits, etc.

lol there is nothing wrong with it. this happened on 2 occasions, both in VERY bouncy vehicles. I was bringing up the extremest example of inaccuracy that I have experienced to back up my opinion that while it's a great tool it's may not always be spot on accurate (so maybe its off by only a few hundred, not 13000... that's still a lot when you are trying to lose) Because of this, I would not rely solely on the Fitbit for figuring out how much I should eat.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

And definitely call Fitbit. They have a ridiculously awesome customer service reputation. I've heard many stories of them sending out replacements for washed fitbits, lost fitbits, slightly wiggy fitbits, etc.

lol there is nothing wrong with it. this happened on 2 occasions, both in VERY bouncy vehicles. I was bringing up the extremest example of inaccuracy that I have experienced to back up my opinion that while it's a great tool it's may not always be spot on accurate (so maybe its off by only a few hundred, not 13000... that's still a lot when you are trying to lose) Because of this, I would not rely solely on the Fitbit for figuring out how much I should eat.

Even if everyone's steps were off by a few hundred per day (as I said, that's never happened to me - I've seen 20-30 steps a few times but never more than that, and I check frequently because the "steps while driving" thing is a known issue), the potential to be off by a few hundred steps really can't represent more than a small number of calories. I just spot checked a few days on my Fitbit dashboard, and compared a few days with a couple hundred steps difference, and my calorie burn is maybe 80 calories different between them one way or the other (in fact, one day with more steps even has less calories than another with less steps). I would think the potential to be off in accounting for your food is much greater than that., and I would argue that 80 calories, even 80 calories per day, isn't "a lot," compared to other methods.

Losing weight is not an exact science. No one is saying ANY method is 100% accurate. But having ANY picture of your daily activity is going to be more accurate than a shot in the dark. Relying solely on my Fitbit for calorie burns sure as heck seems a lot more accurate than relying solely on an online calculator to tell me how much to eat based on whether I *think* I'm "lightly active" or "moderately active."

To add, because I forgot - I would agree that it's possible an HRM can be more accurate for exercise alone, depending on the type of exercise you're doing. Or maybe not. But even if it is, how do you accurately gauge your burns for the other 163 hours per week? That's what the Fitbit excels at.
  • pkingfox
    pkingfox Posts: 25
    Options
    WOW what a lot of info........I will just add that I started using my FB Flex last week and I love it......too soon to see results yet - but I have to hope that the data (consistent using FB) from FB and the MFP data - will give me enough to work with for now. I think as long as you use the same methods and tools day in and day out - you will see results. I can't imagine that FB is way way off - I love that it's like a bracelet and I don't even think about it being on.....bad when it needs a quick charge I feel naked without it now.
  • getrealforme
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going to order the Flex, can't wait to start using it.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • galipemi1
    galipemi1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I was actually going to post this when I finished the thread. I love my fitbit but recently noticed an issue with syncing. I have an old model (the Ultra) which isn't available anymore. Fitbit's customer service walked me through several potential fixes over a couple of days but no luck. So what did they do? They decided to ship me a new Fitbit ONE! I couldn't be happier with the service, especially since I bought mine through Amazon months ago and at a discounted price :)
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and a heart rate monitor and between the two I know exactly how many calories I burn each day. The fitbit measures calories burned by movement and also includes just being alive. Also, when I use my heart rate monitor it blocks out the calories from the fitbit (when you specify the time you start your workout and how many minutes you worked out) so it's very accurate. I have found that MFP over estimates how many calories I burn during exercise. Having both a fitbit and a heart rate monitor is the best way to go!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and a heart rate monitor and between the two I know exactly how many calories I burn each day. The fitbit measures calories burned by movement and also includes just being alive. Also, when I use my heart rate monitor it blocks out the calories from the fitbit (when you specify the time you start your workout and how many minutes you worked out) so it's very accurate. I have found that MFP over estimates how many calories I burn during exercise. Having both a fitbit and a heart rate monitor is the best way to go!!

orly-animated-gif-baby.gif
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    BUMP

I need to keep track of this thread as I'm considering getting a FitBit, specifically the Flex.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm really impressed with the Flex. The lack of a display would annoy the heck outta me.
  • difabu
    Options
    I don't think I'm really impressed with the Flex. The lack of a display would annoy the heck outta me.

Yeah, I understand that. And the reviews aren't all that great as most don't consider it an improvement over the One, but I'm prone to losing tiny things. Often. So I really like the wrist mount. But, again, I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I just wish it had a loop so I could put it on a lanyard. I saw some pedometer leashes on Amazon. Maybe that'll help.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a FitBit One after reading this thread last week. I had been planning on waiting for the Flex, but when I got the email from FitBit that it was available, it was already sold out in my area. So I decided on the One, and I'm glad I did. I love it! And I really love that it has a display. I use a Droid that doesn't sync, so I can only sync with my computer or my iPad. Not being able to see my progress throughout the day would drive me crazy with the Flex.

I'm really enjoying how the FitBit syncs with MFP. I burn a whole lot more calories than I thought I did just through my regular daily activity. I have a very sedentary job, but as it turns out, I'm not that sedentary after all!

I highly recommend this gadget!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one, and I am in sales so I drive a lot for hours at a time, and it does give me some steps during that time. I have the free app called drivebit on my phone and you just start it and stop it during your drive and it automatically updates both fitbit and MFP - it gives you credit for your calories burned during that time but takes away the steps it gave you if any. Thank you to the genius that came up with it! Personally I only do weights, run or walk and I just let it do it's thing - I have noticed that it actually gives credit when I do barbell squats, as well as lunges etc..and I figure rather than overestimate, I would be safe and underestimate a little. I used to use my polar HRM which includes my V02max for my weights but know its not accurate, so I just go by fitbit alone and am thrilled with it.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting one. The Flex seems best for me but it isn't available in Germany just yet. The website won't give me a price yet, either. Can you tell me how much you guys paid for it?
  • difabu
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting one. The Flex seems best for me but it isn't available in Germany just yet. The website won't give me a price yet, either. Can you tell me how much you guys paid for it?

The Flex costs the same as the other FitBits: roughly $100 on Amazon (at least here in the U.S.).
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP... I HAVE A FLEX ON ORDER
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a FitBit One after reading this thread last week. I had been planning on waiting for the Flex, but when I got the email from FitBit that it was available, it was already sold out in my area. So I decided on the One, and I'm glad I did. I love it! And I really love that it has a display. I use a Droid that doesn't sync, so I can only sync with my computer or my iPad. Not being able to see my progress throughout the day would drive me crazy with the Flex.

I'm really enjoying how the FitBit syncs with MFP. I burn a whole lot more calories than I thought I did just through my regular daily activity. I have a very sedentary job, but as it turns out, I'm not that sedentary after all!

I highly recommend this gadget!
    I did too! Unfortunately for me, I'm a whole lot MORE sedentary than I thought I was.....but at least with the FitBit, I know for sure and can take steps (literally) to be more active.