When will they notice!!?

Options

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'd bet they really have noticed, just don't want to say anything for any number of reasons, many of which have already been suggested. I met a neighbour the other day and we were talking about health and keeping moving as we age. When I said that my doctor says with the amount of weight I've lost my cholesterol numbers should be better and it must be genetic, her face lit up and she immediately complimented me on my 40 lb loss. She noticed, just didn't want to say anything!
    You are doing amazingly well, and eventually will have people saying that you look great. No weight loss mentioned.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Honestly it trully does depend on how much you have to lose and wher eyou start at. Trust me I too began my journey at approx 227lbs. I rememeber reaching that 30lb mark and being upset like what the hell???? I don't remember getting the wow factor untill I was closer to that 40lb mark.

Also there is something about they way you beam when you feel it, and you know that you are beyond proud of yourself. It's that true inner happiness and growth of confidence that people see that makes them want to shower you with compliments. Just keep truckin along and right when you can careless if anyone notices but you, then they will begin.
  • Heres2Victory
    Heres2Victory Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on your weight loss!! I think people will start noticing and engaging in healthy dialouge when you open up more about eating healthier. Same as here on MFP, they will support you. I think your father-in-law had all good intent and it was his way of getting you to open up. Enjoy your weightloss , share your new healthier lifestyle.
    I wish you many more happy days of seeing your scale go down and spirits rise.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've almost lost 30lbs and dropped over a dress size (but now quite 2 yet!) but it's not very noticeable yet. I imagine with the next 30lbs (when I'll go from overweight to ideal weight) will be most noticeable! (least I hope so!)
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are afraid to say anything because they're afraid of retaliation. I do have a few friends who would not respond well - they would think I was calling them fat because I said anything.

They probably ARE noticing but aren't saying anything. Talk with them honestly about it.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    what do you do for working out? do you lift weights or do pilates, anything to firm up your body?
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain, I have lost 52 lbs and almost 100 inches. I had my first person notice this week and it was incredible. I can see the difference and my family sees the difference but I also wanted someone who did not know notice. Just keep on the right course. Food for thought, Even though I have lost 52, I still am very, very heavy and have a long way to go 150 more lbs, so in retrospect, 50 isn't much. However, someone who only has 70 lbs to lose the 50 would be considered an incredible loss. Keep your head up, you are doing GREAT!! You have to look at it as, I am not where I want to be but I am not where I was before. :)
  • teddy1234567
    teddy1234567 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    wow thats amazing!! keep up the good work :)
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Im 53lbs down and no one noticed until 40+lbs. Including me!
  • canlow
    canlow Posts: 6
    Options
    I have just started using weights and they are only the 3 pounds weights. I bought an exercise ball, the 3 pound weights, and a stretch band for arm exercises. My whole journey so far has not been filled with exercise. I have walked and danced around in my bedroom like a fool to work up a sweat, but I most definitely would not say that I busted my butt exercising to lose the weight. It's been small amounts of exercise and mainly just watching that I do not go over 1200 calories per day. I am going to get into Zumba when I reach one of my goal weights and I want to eventually join a gym. I just want to prove to myself that I can continue sticking with this and lose weight at home first. I know that exercise is very important and not just to lose pesky pounds, but also for just plain health. I'm getting in gear- trust me. I know to get the body that I want-simply cutting calories and eating healthier alone will not do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs and still got at least 40 more to lose, and I haven't got any comment except from people who know I've been trying to lose. I don't sweat it...
  • Wgbn32
    Wgbn32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21 lbs from my peak and no one has noticed. I feel incredibly different but I just took a set of pictures yesterday and I have to admit to myself that even side by side, it's not that noticeable.
    Ditto. I've lost a little over 20 pounds and not one word from anybody. Like the OP, I too have made it a point not to tell anyone I'm working out and trying to eat better for the exact same reasons. I want the compliments to be genuine and deserved. Funny thing is I havent seen much difference either. I figure once I lose another 25-30 pounds that's when ill hear the compliments. For now I'm satisfied with just feeling better and my progress with my various workouts at the gym.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ask yourself is what do's it matter whether people notice or not? you are doing this for you, not for them.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Five months for me! Had my first compliment on Friday. Asked how much weight Ive lost and I said none but I have lost alot of inches and the person said I look really good.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You're much more modest than I am. I lost 4.8 pounds (probably water weight, lol) and I told like seven people, lol. I agree with the previously mentioned "they don't know how to bring it up".
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    They'll never notice if you don't keep working at it. That's all you can do. Im 27 pounds down, about 2 months in, haven't heard a word yet. It's not an overnight process. It takes MONTHS...even years, sometimes.
  • amycgrant
    amycgrant Posts: 5
    Options
    Good job on your hard work! I had similar experiences with people not noticing after 40 pounds but I was reluctant to spend money updating my wardrobe and had continued to wear over-sized pants that I continually hiked up. Literally the first day I wore new jeans that actually fit, several people noticed! I think when you're used to feeling overweight and having tight clothes, there is something liberating about wearing something that you know is too big for you, but loose clothing actually visually adds pounds too.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That's a great point about baggy pants adding visual pounds!!! I have lost 20 lbs and the first two people to notice did so at the pool where I swim 4 times a week. On Saturday 2 different people said you can really tell you've lost weight in your swimmers. I'm 60 and live in a cold climate 2 degrees here Yesterday, so I can,t really walk the street in my swimmers so 2 people noticing may have to be enough for me!!! Unless of course I go out and buy new tighter clothes????
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    They may notice, actually. It might sound ridiculous to some, but I know if I notice people losing weight, I don't know how to tell them. i mean, I can obviously say "wow, you've lost weight, looking good", but in my head I start thinking "by me saying that, am I implying they needed to lose weight to begin with? Would that be rude to comment on their weight, even if I am being positive?" Plus, I have heard quite a few people say the attention makes them uncomfortable, even when it's meant to be a compliment. I just feel like I need to be extra sensitive when it comes to people's weight regardless of where the comment is coming from.

But good job on your weight loss! Whether people say it to you, or not, 30 pounds is a great accomplishment and I bet many have noticed! :flowerforyou:
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, people only really noticed when I bought new clothes, which was when I'd dropped 1-2 sizes.