how did you break your plateau? mines been 2 months!

Options
2»

Replies

• gettingontrack126
    Options
    Did you gain any weight while your calories were up? Or was the pounds lost from thepoint you plateaued? I think I'll keep on with the 1600 goal, I'll add some light exercise thus week as well. Hoping this works!I feel like i've been at a standstill forever!!!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your metabolism is probably messed up from starving yourself at this point. Eat 1600.

This.

At 17 you are still growing and require proper nutrition. Do not under eat - you can cause all sorts of metabolic and hormonal issues
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone that you're not eating enough. Also, give it a month. I've been told it takes that long for your body to re-adjust. When upping your calories, I've also heard of people that put their scale away for 2 weeks. Personally, I was stuck but started to lose again once I upped my calories.
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Buying a fitbit pedometer broke my plateau. Partly, I think, 'cause it was a novel gadget, but also 'cause it really made me realize how little I move around during the day. Now I make my 10,000 steps almost all days, and 12-14k on many. Whether I go to the gym or not, this little bug reminds me to keep moving.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    I think that's a good idea, putting my scale away for a bit might help because after hitting the plateaui've become a bit obsessive over weighing myself to see if something has worked or not, right now I think that's a good idea so i'm not always feeling lazy or something. I'll go for a month, let's see! Also about not eating enough you guys may have a point because on 1200 I felt just fine and when I started eating 1600 at the beginning of this week I felt stuffed (and I still do) but I guess its gonna take some getting used to, I try hard not to to weigh in for the next two Weeks!!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Try lifting weights, heavy enough to get you exhausted after about 8-10 lifts. Find some lifting exercises from the internet and do a few sets of reps.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Right now I don't have anything to do weight training with, I figuredi I'd try to look up some home resstance exercises..i'm still worried about the calorie increase I guess, i'm worried that I'll gain the weight right back
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm starting to do I eat at a deficit of a 1000 (-2lbs a week) as of now due to my bmi is high.

2500 my tdee
    -1000=1500

I add my consumed calories for the week on Saturday night after diary entry completion

1500 X 7= 10500
    10500- what ever my total calories consumed is whatever I'm left with I eat
    For example if my totals are 7945 so I'd eat 2555 calories today but still make healthy choices because the risk of going back to old ways is not worth it!
    Only for people that eat under calorie goal and have set there goal intake to an actual tdee deficit vs MFP

Note I put my calorie goal to this TDEE deficit and don't eat back my calories burnt through exercise being my tdee justifies my activities!
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm upping my calories this month to see how it goes! I'm also working hard on eating cleaner, thanks for all the tips!
  • saltine11
    saltine11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try exercising more than three times a week. If you've already been consistently exercising your body will be able to adapt and recover better from more frequent exercise. Even 5 or 6 days a week of exercise and you'll notice a big difference. Also sprinting and other high intensity exercises that use multiple muscle groups will challenge your body and help break through a plateau.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your metabolism is probably messed up from starving yourself at this point. Eat 1600.

THIS !! But I think you should probably be around 1800-1900 (I am considerably shorter and workout 4.5 hours per week - heavy lifting - and eat 2000 a day; and yes, that is a deficit). Calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat at a 20% deficit from there (no eating back exercise calories this way)
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Right now I don't have anything to do weight training with, I figuredi I'd try to look up some home resstance exercises..i'm still worried about the calorie increase I guess, i'm worried that I'll gain the weight right back

We all worry about that coming off a 1200 calories diet...I know I did. But I changed mine from 1200 to 1700 overnight, after a 4 month plateau, and in almost immediately started losing again.
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    YES eat more!!!! Your body is probably in starvation mode and is storing all the calories you put in. Most people I talk with aren't eating enough and are shocked at how much I eat. AND I agree with the others.... STRENGTH TRAINING!!! I am a huge fan of it and the results you get. It helps rev up your metabolism, and shrinks and tones your body. Lean muscle is amazingly great for your body!!
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    So today marks the day that I increased my calorie intake by 400 about a month ago, and though I expected to gain some weight back, I haven't gained one pound! In fact I actually lost 2 pounds since then! so today i'm bringing it back down (not a low as before though), so hopefully I continue to see progress!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Eat more and mix up your exercise programme.........I am the same height as you and 140lbs now. I am a lot heavier from lifting weights.... But its good fun, and my arms are coming along!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck
    x