jealous of skinny minis!

Options
I am thin but I have to watch what I eat and I don't drink alcohol!
Yet all my friends are tiny, eat mcdonalds and drink alcohol like there is no tomorrow!
So jel!

I workout, eat healthy and still don't look as mini as them!

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know. By looking at these boards you'd think there is no such thing as a different metabolism, but it's so wrong...
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You look normal to underweight in your pictures, so I doubt your friends are much skinnier than you if indeed they really are at all. Concentrate on your health and let go of jealousy. It's just hate turned inward.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Skinny doesn't always equal healthy, just keep that in mind. I was "skinny" the majority of my life but looking back I wasn't probably the healthiest. If you are eating right and exercising then you will reach whatever your goals are. Just focus more on you and be confident about the changes you are making. :-)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It WILL catch up with them. Nobody is immune from a bad diet. I was one of those very thin people in the 90's. I was a skinny kid, and a skinny teenager - I didn't realize the reason I was skinny was because I ate what my mom cooked, which was were generally balanced, nutritious meals. Therefore, I thought I could always eat whatever I wanted and it would not affect me. Boy, was I wrong.

I moved out the house in my early 20s and because I hated cooking, I lived on fast food and sugar soda. I didn't own a scale, but over the years I knew my clothes were getting tighter. I was always buying bigger sizes because my current clothes no longer fit. I went to the doctor for a routine check up, and weighed in at 215. I was SHOCKED!!!!

I kicked my own *kitten* into gear. I joined Weight Watchers and tracked my food diligently. I am now finally skinny again, and feel so much better physically and mentally.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There are millions of people who are "skinny fat".....skinny on the outside, fat on the inside.

Personally I think that people like us (e.g. folks who have to watch what they eat and exercise in order to achieve or maintain a healthy lifestyle) are better off in the long run. We are certainly probably healthier than someone who doesn't "have to" eat well or exercise.
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    TRUE DAT THOOOOOOOOOO LOL
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u look great..your height and weight is????
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know. By looking at these boards you'd think there is no such thing as a different metabolism, but it's so wrong...

StandingO.gif

Truer words were never spoken.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know a family that is skinny and mean really skinny. Mom is 49 something and weighs in at a wopping 93 pounds at 5ft tall the daughters are 31 and 100lbs and the other is 26 and 81lbs the son is 28 and is about 125lbs. The whole family and the grand kids eat like crap. Even at this tiny weight the mom was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesteral.
    It just goes to show you just becase someone is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy! You are doing it right and you will be healthier and age better because of how good you take care of yourself. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Be less jealous and do what you can to be the best you. I'll never be over 6 feet in height, but I can be more fit and in better shape than someone that height.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It WILL catch up with them. Nobody is immune from a bad diet. I was one of those very thin people in the 90's. I was a skinny kid, and a skinny teenager - I didn't realize the reason I was skinny was because I ate what my mom cooked, which was were generally balanced, nutritious meals. Therefore, I thought I could always eat whatever I wanted and it would not affect me. Boy, was I wrong.

I moved out the house in my early 20s and because I hated cooking, I lived on fast food and sugar soda. I didn't own a scale, but over the years I knew my clothes were getting tighter. I was always buying bigger sizes because my current clothes no longer fit. I went to the doctor for a routine check up, and weighed in at 215. I was SHOCKED!!!!

I kicked my own *kitten* into gear. I joined Weight Watchers and tracked my food diligently. I am now finally skinny again, and feel so much better physically and mentally.

This sounds like me, although I caught it a bit earlier and so only ended up gaining about 20 lbs during my junk food diet phase. Growing up everyone always wondered how I was so thin and yet seemed to eat junk all the time. The truth was, I only ate junk about 20% of the time, which was the time I spent with them. The other 80% of the time I was eating my parent's healthy, well-balanced low calorie meals.
    You should check out the UK TV show Supersize vs. Superskinny, it really puts people's eating habits into perspective. At one point, I was eating nothing but junk food and not gaining any weight at all, but when I started tracking what I ate, I found that, while I was only eating junk food, I really wasn't eating that much. I may have had an extra large Big Mac meal for lunch, but that was all I would eat for the day. One day I had chocolate for every meal, but once I totaled it all up I found that I had only had 6 candy bars, which at 220 calories each, only added up to 1320 calories for the entire day. Chances are your friends are either not eating junk food all of the time and just happen to be eating it when they are around you, or they are not really eating as many calories as you think they are. Either way, it is more likely due to perception than the fact that your friends have vastly superior metabolisms.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Aging is the great equalizer in terms of metabolism. At 19, some people appear to be able to eat whatever they want, but it will most likely catch up to them and when it does it will be a shock to them and suck.

Also, being skinny does not necessarily equate to being happy. No point in being jealous of someone just because they are skinny.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yet all my friends are tiny, eat mcdonalds and drink alcohol like there is no tomorrow!
    So jel!

BOOOOOOOOOOO

think you said you are jealous of what they can eat - not that they are skinny. Build your lean body mass and you can eat more because increasing lean body mass increases metabolism. Ta-da! :drinker:
  • sarahz1442
    Options
    In looking at your profile pictures which are only head shots, you look extremely thin. It's hard to tell since it's just head shots though. What is your height and weight?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    So much hate and jealous people in this thread.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Comparison is definitely annoying, to say the least. However, you have to remember that everyone is different. I also have friends that shovel down food like there's no tomorrow and maintain a size 0.

I do think though, that we often don't realize most naturally thin people don't necessarily eat much more. It may seem like they do because of the content of their food (McDonalds, fatty foods), but most are just in tune with their hunger signals and intuitively know portion control, thus negating the need for dieting. My one friend is a prime example. He was a burger fiend, and I assumed he was thin because of an ultra fast metabolism. When we lived together, I noticed he ate whatever he wanted, but never ate when he wasn't hungry and never snacked-he basically ate what he wanted until he felt full.

This youtube clip basically shows the same thing: one fat friend, one thin friend. Both think thin friend eats much more and has a faster metabolism. Using doubly labelled water (modern technology), they monitored the exact caloric intake of both. Turns out the overweight friend ate more than her skinny friend (50% over what she needed), even though she thought her thin friend ate much more.

MYTH: "I'm Fat because of My Metabolism": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-qKTaEMIQ

Edit: here's part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTx-D5NJ_kU
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    So jel!

BOOOOOOOOOOO

maybe they skip meals to be able to do that.... a lot of young women do, i.e. eat nothing all day so they can eat fast food and drink alcohol in the evening.... which is extremely unhealthy. Just because someone is thin it does not mean they are healthy or that they have good body composition. Thin, sedentary and living off junk food and skipping meals to stay thin is extremely unhealthy. I don't see how it's any better than being obese, sedentary and living off junk. Unfortunately there's too much emphasis on the health risks of obesity, and not enough on the health risks of being sedentary and eating an unbalanced diet.

I seriously would not be jealous of them at all. Carry on eating healthy, carry on working out, and enjoy your healthy body composition. You probably look better than them naked....
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would say worry about you. Jealousy is pointless. You can assume whatever you want about people to make you feel better, but what does what they do matter to you any way. I highly doubt your friends are thinner than you, judging by your pics.
  • sarahz1442
    Options

huh? who?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

huh? who?

The people who are rooting that "it will catch up with them" to their skinny friend who looks like they can eat anything.