BBQ season is upon us

Options
Hi_Im_Jess
Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
I'm planning a bbq for Memorial day but I want everything to be healthy since pretty much everyone in my family is watching what we eat. What are some of your favorite things to make on the grill? There are no vegans/vegetarians and no food allergies so pretty much anything is ok. Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• maurobono78
    maurobono78 Posts: 34
    Options
    Last week end I did some BEER CAN CHICKEN and a lot of grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and onion).
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Last week end I did some BEER CAN CHICKEN and a lot of grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and onion).

we did the same thing for Mother's Day beer can chicken!! It's super moist and I only eat the breast so the calories are low but way yummy!!

Lean steaks grilled as well as pork chops.

We also grill squash, zucchini, & asparagus
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Why don't you do a fish BBQ? They're pretty epic!

Wrap fillets of smoked, peppered mackerel in foil and put on the BBQ - amazing!
    Tuna steaks marinated in lemon and dill and then wrapped in foil and put on the BBQ - very tasty!
    Salmon terriyaki works very well on the BBQ
    Sea Bass is a must though!! *Drools!* freshly caught, with nothing but salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil wrapped in foil. NOM NOM NOM

Just mind the bones!

Corn on the cob, pitta and home made hummus as side dishes.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....BBQ season never ends. Ever. :)
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We have some skewers and I put baby bella mushrooms, onions, mini belle peppers, and cherry tomatoes on it and we grill it as the side with a lean cut pork loin. The veggies are really simple to prepare and grill quite quickly next to the meat, and are quite low cal. it has replaced the potato salad on my plate whenever we grill. It is one of the food swaps that I don't feel like I am missing out and now actually prefer. We have also tried putting some in foil and grilling that way, but I prefer the skewered version.

Having things like sliced watermelon and a cold veggie tray are summer classics that I sometimes do with it as well.

And if you are looking for desserts. Grilled peaches or grilled pineapple are both really good. Yesterday we had angel food cake with strawberries, and that was a great alternative to the homemade icecream we would have typically had. I know it isn't the healthiest of foods, but I enjoyed it.
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options

Amen!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Kabobs are great. pick your meat (usually chicken or beef, but lamb is popular too), choose your veggies (tomatoes, peppers, squash, mushrooms, pretty much anything). Add marinade/seasoning as you wish.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love grilled Corn on the cob!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

roger that!
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    here's a link to skinnytaste memorial day recipes. http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Memorial Day Recipes

She has some really good suggestion but I would like to add either grilled pineapples or peaches..they are delicious!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options

It lives on in our hearts but you won't catch me outside in the cold lol
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the BYOM (bring your own meat) BBQ. That way people buy the cut of meat they want and marinate it how they like, you just cook it on the grill. This way you can focus on healthy sides. Obviously grilled veggies, I like to make a room temp salad with grilled veggies, olive oil, balsamic, basil, salt, pepper, garlic. Fresh fruit with some whipped cream for dessert. I like to use Cooking Light for recipes that are reduced in calories but don't taste that way.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options

Anything with beer is an automatic win in my book. I'll have to try it out.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think BBQs can be one of the easiest meals to make healthy. You can make red potato salad with an oil based dressing, not mayo based. Balck bean and corn salad, grilled zuchinni, etc. All prefect with ribs and chicken.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the BBQ season never ending. My favourite mainstay on the BBQ is a pork tenderloin, rubbed with spices, and whole roasted. I also do stuffed baked potatoes: cook potatoes in mic, cut in half, scoop out potatoes, mash the potatoes with low fat sour cream, green onions, a little cheddar and bacon bits, spoon back into the skins and reheat on the BBQ. Sliced mushrooms and onions in tinfoil on the BBQ and grilled Corn make great sides. Love a veggie or fruit tray for an appetizer.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Grilled lamb on skewers with Labanese garlic sauce! With baba ganoush, wonderful.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Offer lettuce as an option in lieu of the good ole' hamburger bun.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    we grilled out yesterday! All was healthy: lean steaks, marinated chicken tenderloins, corn on the cob (soaked for 12 hours in saltwater), potato slices drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper, apsaragus, brussel sprouts on skewars, fresh pineapple slices. I also had sliced strawberries, baby carrots, a thai salad (quinoa, cashews, purple cabbage, carrots, onions, cilantro, peanut ginger dressing), fresh pico and organic corn chips. AMAZING, and everyone loved everything, including the kiddos :)
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Marinate some chicken breasts in italian dressing, shrimp skewers are also delicious on the grill :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Cedar Plank Orange Ginger Salmon

142tstg.jpg