I want to hear from loved ones of depressed people.

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
I talked to my boyfriend less than an hour ago on the phone. I told him how much I missed him today and how much I was looking forward to coming home and being with him. He said he missed me too and agreed that we should do something together when I got home. I came home... and he's sound asleep.

If you have first-hand experience with depression or anxiety, or have dated / been related to / been close to someone who has experienced either of these, please read on.

If you do not have personal experience with depression or anxiety, either yourself or someone close to you, then I do not need your input. Thank you.

Okay, so. I've been living with my boyfriend since September, and we've been "official" since October-- so we're coming up on 8 months together, here. We knew each other for a little bit less than a year before we moved in together. He's only about 3 months younger than me, and I would say we are at similar levels of intellect.

But anyway, I have been getting increasingly frustrated with his complete lack of motivation to do, well... ANYTHING. I understand depression-- I went through it myself after my mother died without even realizing what it was until I was already clawing my way out of it, though I'm still not completely on my own two feet. I've been seeing a wonderful therapist on and off for the past 3 years, and have tried to be more self-aware and have tried to structure my life in ways that I feel will enable me to be most successful.

My boyfriend is unemployed, sleeps 12-14 hours a day, which usually means he goes to bed before I do and wakes up after I do. He has zero energy (and nearly zero sex drive), and rarely suggests any activities for the two of us to do (and when he does, it's the same 3-4 activities over and over). I understand that some of his lethargy is from his medication cocktail, but I see myself in him too because I used to sleep all day and be up all night, and would often sleep for more than 10 hours during the daytime. However, it just means that even when he's "here", it feels like he's not, and I get lonely when he's passed out asleep at 6pm... or now, at 2:30pm after I know he got a full night's sleep.

He never offers to do any housework, is horridly messy, and when I ask him to do chores (usually just loading & unloading the dishwasher and taking our garbage to the dumpster), I have to ask for multiple days in a row before he finally does it. I try to be patient, I try to explain that I like to keep a clean house without being condescending or rude, but when he deliberately does what I ask him not to do over and over sometimes I snap at him, especially on days when I am really looking forward to spending time with him and he is too tired to do anything!!

TL;DR my question to you all is this: If you are with a depressed person, either a close friend / roommate, a spouse, or another relative, and you are frustrated with something they are doing / not doing-- how do you approach them in a way that does not come off as negative? I know that every time I get irritated with my boyfriend, it is entirely unnecessary and unproductive. It just makes him upset and defensive and makes me feel guilty after the anger recedes. But how am I supposed to convey my dissatisfaction with his unwillingness to be motivated without upsetting him? I don't really care about him not having a job right now, so long as he is emotionally supportive of me (which he is, when he is awake) and is at least willing to help out around the house without me asking him 2-4 times for each chore! That's all I really need, and it really hurts when it feels like he can't even give that to me.

I realize this post is painting my boyfriend in a bad light, and as frustrated as I am with him sometimes I just want you all to know that I do really love him, and he really loves me. Unfortunately, I have already had to end one relationship where love simply wasn't enough to succeed, and if things keep going in this same pattern this will probably be another one. But if all you have to say is "just break up", I'm not even going to acknowledge your reply, so go ahead and save yourself the trouble and move on. :smile:

Thank you in advance for your response!

Replies

• Ramberta
    Options
    bump
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's hard to change someone or motivate them if they don't want to do it themselves. I am married to a woman that is constantly up and down and it has been the hardest part about our marriage for me. The best advise I can give you is to let him know how you feel and try and get him up and around with you. If he can't or won't your mind may already be made up....
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    sorry, I skimmed

I grew up very predisposed to a plethora of issues, and was actively self-harming, suicidal, and depressed from about age 14- early 20s. It has nearly completely tapered off. I am just really cognizant of my emotions right now, for the past few years, and have been so grateful for the work that I am doing to help me through it.

I remember going to a doctor when I was 17. My exboyfriend, who was 3 years older than me, that I was living with, had just broken up with me because he said he loved me but I was too depressed, and he couldn't deal with it. When I told the doctor, she started bashing him saying that if somebody loves you that they will help you through the bad times.

At the time, I agreed with her.

Now, I completely disagree with her. I really feel that depression (and anxiety) not only hurt those that are living with it, but friends and family and the public even.

Counselling did not work for me. What worked for me was my motivation and goals. I wanted to go to college. So I went. I wanted to go to university. So I went. I wanted to work with people and strive for excellence in my field. So I did. It increased all my protective factors for living, and for being happy.

However, counselling does work for a lot of people. Has he seen a counsellor? Right now, it sounds like he sees absolutely no reason to live if he is sleeping through every moment. Take him to a counsellor. Go with him. Be the only one to talk until he is ready to go by himself. Otherwise, it is not up to you to suffer.

If he absolutely refuses to go to counselling, start engaging in positive living with him. Doing meditaition, daily affirmations, walks in the park, engaging in hobbies (he has to have some interests buried underneath the darkness, give him a camera, bring him to tennis, have a movie night at home, play cards, do ANYTHING), focus on his strengths.

Even if he did nothing that day, and got out of bed at 6pm...something got him out of bed at 6pm, what was it, why did he want to get out of bed? Congratulate him for it.

I wish you the very very best. It sounds tough.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    sorry, I skimmed

I grew up very predisposed to a plethora of issues, and was actively self-harming, suicidal, and depressed from about age 14- early 20s. It has nearly completely tapered off. I am just really cognizant of my emotions right now, for the past few years, and have been so grateful for the work that I am doing to help me through it.

I remember going to a doctor when I was 17. My exboyfriend, who was 3 years older than me, that I was living with, had just broken up with me because he said he loved me but I was too depressed, and he couldn't deal with it. When I told the doctor, she started bashing him saying that if somebody loves you that they will help you through the bad times.

Now, I completely disagree with her. I really feel that depression (and anxiety) not only hurt those that are living with it, but friends and family and the public even.

Counselling did not work for me. What worked for me was my motivation and goals. I wanted to go to college. So I went. I wanted to go to university. So I went. I wanted to work with people and strive for excellence in my field. So I did. It increased all my protective factors for living, and for being happy.

However, counselling does work for a lot of people. Has he seen a counsellor? Right now, it sounds like he sees absolutely no reason to live if he is sleeping through every moment. Take him to a counsellor. Go with him. Be the only one to talk until he is ready to go by himself. Otherwise, it is not up to you to suffer.

If he absolutely refuses to go to counselling, start engaging in positive living with him. Doing meditaition, daily affirmations, walks in the park, engaging in hobbies (he has to have some interests buried underneath the darkness, give him a camera, bring him to tennis, have a movie night at home, play cards, do ANYTHING), focus on his strengths.

Even if he did nothing that day, and got out of bed at 6pm...something got him out of bed at 6pm, what was it, why did he want to get out of bed? Congratulate him for it.

Thank you for your suggestions, what do you mean by daily affirmations?

He is seeing a therapist-- I forgot to mention that in the OP. But it hasn't been regular, since he's switched therapists twice this year already and has had to skip / reschedule a couple sessions because his mother prefers that he doesn't drive himself places (since he used to steal DXM from drug stores). When he was in rehab he did well in the structured programs there, but now that it's been several months he is still sober, but lacks motivation to immerse himself in any sort of program, even AA. He tried to take a class this past semester but quickly dropped it.

He has interests, but they mostly revolve around video games and similar stuff to that, so it's difficult to get him excited about doing things outside the house. We play a lot of games together. He's gotten me into watching Dr. Who lately, but his attention span is so short that after one episode he's bored of it...
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you can't motivate him if he's got depression - only he can find a way out of that with the help of medication and/or counselling.

This may not help but I will give you one piece of advice and that is to never sacrifice yourself upon the bonfire of someone else's woes. You can be supportive, you can encourage them to seek help but if it looks like their depression is going to drag you under with them, you have to let your survival instinct kick in.

I had a bi-polar partner I lived with for 10 years and I didn't actually realise what a toll that relationship took on me until I cut loose from it. In those 10 years he barely worked, ran up debt (and I ran up debt bailing him out) and was generally unmotivated and simply not very 'giving' in an emotional sense. On the flipside, when he was up he'd invest in 'get rich quick schemes', rattle away ten to the dozen, stop taking medication because he thought he didn't need it ...oh and have sex with random women he picked up on the Net.

So support him, but for god's sake take care of yourself because let me tell you, living with a seriously depressed person is like a death from a thousand cuts....you take on more and more, forgive more and more, accept less and less, get lower and lower and ultimately something gives.

The very best of luck to you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think my first suggestion is that he have a complete physical with bloodwork. Rule out any and all health issues and then, if he's got a clean bill of health, address the mental side.

My husband went through a huge depression when we went through a rough patch in our marriage a year ago. The marriage counselor told him that he had to be active. Volunteer, exercise, interact with people. The more he allowed himself to shut down, the more withdrawn he became and the more he slept. Basically, his life sucked at the time. With counseling and working through our marriage issues, he was finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel without the help of medicine. Though he was willing to take antidepressants had he needed them.

Okay, I just read your response to someone else that said he's in counseling. He is also a recovering addict. My husband is a recovering addict, too. I think when an addict stops their drug of choice, unless they get the counseling they need to address WHY they were an addict, they wallow. They don't have their "pain reliever" to cover their feelings and they finally have to face the real world. So I still think counseling is really what he needs, but maybe a counselor whose strengths are dealing with recovering addicts.

Oh, and the gaming can become a huge issue. Addicts who haven't addressed the reason for their addictions tend to transfer their addictions to something else. My husband transferred his to food. Your boyfriend may transfer his to gaming.

Good luck!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    The bottom line is that you can't motivate him if he's got depression - only he can find a way out of that with the help of medication and/or counselling.

This may not help but I will give you one piece of advice and that is to never sacrifice yourself upon the bonfire of someone else's woes. You can be supportive, you can encourage them to seek help but if it looks like their depression is going to drag you under with them, you have to let your survival instinct kick in.

I had a bi-polar partner I lived with for 10 years and I didn't actually realise what a toll that relationship took on me until I cut loose from it. In those 10 years he barely worked, ran up debt (and I ran up debt bailing him out) and was generally unmotivated and simply not very 'giving' in an emotional sense. On the flipside, when he was up he'd invest in 'get rich quick schemes', rattle away ten to the dozen, stop taking medication because he thought he didn't need it ...oh and have sex with random women he picked up on the Net.

So support him, but for god's sake take care of yourself because let me tell you, living with a seriously depressed person is like a death from a thousand cuts....you take on more and more, forgive more and more, accept less and less, get lower and lower and ultimately something gives.

The very best of luck to you.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear you had to go through all that.

I have already ended one bad relationship (unsurprisingly, with another mentally traumatized person), and it was very difficult to do, but believe me, my survival instinct will kick in if it has to. :smile:

It just makes me so sad because when he is actually awake and has a modicum of energy, he really makes me happy. Happier than I've been in a long time, and on the really good days, I can see myself staying with him for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately those good days are fairly rare. :-/
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I think my first suggestion is that he have a complete physical with bloodwork. Rule out any and all health issues and then, if he's got a clean bill of health, address the mental side.

My husband went through a huge depression when we went through a rough patch in our marriage a year ago. The marriage counselor told him that he had to be active. Volunteer, exercise, interact with people. The more he allowed himself to shut down, the more withdrawn he became and the more he slept. Basically, his life sucked at the time. With counseling and working through our marriage issues, he was finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel without the help of medicine. Though he was willing to take antidepressants had he needed them.

Okay, I just read your response to someone else that said he's in counseling. He is also a recovering addict. My husband is a recovering addict, too. I think when an addict stops their drug of choice, unless they get the counseling they need to address WHY they were an addict, they wallow. They don't have their "pain reliever" to cover their feelings and they finally have to face the real world. So I still think counseling is really what he needs, but maybe a counselor whose strengths are dealing with recovering addicts.

Oh, and the gaming can become a huge issue. Addicts who haven't addressed the reason for their addictions tend to transfer their addictions to something else. My husband transferred his to food. Your boyfriend may transfer his to gaming.

Good luck!

I have tried to get my boyfriend to be more active-- he used to lift weights a lot, so sometimes I get him to go to the gym with me, though most of the time he declines. We also take walks sometimes, but he simply runs out of energy before I do, so when I want a serious workout I just go by myself. How was your husband able to overcome his lack of energy in the physical activities?

And the gaming has always been a huge part of my boyfriend's life, but it's actually a way we bond together rather than a harmful addiction, at least in my eyes. However, it's all the more worrying to me when he doesn't even have the energy to get up and play for a while...
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Does he realize he's depressed? You won't get any change out of him if he doesn't know or put effort into it. He may be someone with a chronic depression, or maybe even a severe depression. I think people forget you don't just snap out of depression, not you just in general. If you aren't happy tell him, if it doesn't change to where you'd like it then you have some decisions to make.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    sorry, I skimmed

He is seeing a therapist-- I forgot to mention that in the OP. But it hasn't been regular, since he's switched therapists twice this year already and has had to skip / reschedule a couple sessions because his mother prefers that he doesn't drive himself places (since he used to steal DXM from drug stores). When he was in rehab he did well in the structured programs there, but now that it's been several months he is still sober, but lacks motivation to immerse himself in any sort of program, even AA. He tried to take a class this past semester but quickly dropped it.

He has interests, but they mostly revolve around video games and similar stuff to that, so it's difficult to get him excited about doing things outside the house. We play a lot of games together. He's gotten me into watching Dr. Who lately, but his attention span is so short that after one episode he's bored of it...

it sounds like he is making lots of attempts. that's really great.

by affirmations, i just mean positive affirmations. so for example, "i will live life one step at a time". i know it seems silly, but it really really is helpful for some people.

what others are saying is correct, you can't motivate someone if they don't want to be motivated. even if you do choose to cut him loose, for your own sanity. always love and encourage him!

how old is your boyfriend and what area of the world do you live in?
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Does he realize he's depressed? You won't get any change out of him if he doesn't know or put effort into it. He may be someone with a chronic depression, or maybe even a severe depression. I think people forget you don't just snap out of depression, not you just in general. If you aren't happy tell him, if it doesn't change to where you'd like it then you have some decisions to make.

He knows he's depressed, he has been for several years-- I think it's gotten to the point now where he uses it as a crutch ("I can't feel motivated" "I can't want to do things" "I can't fix myself").

I realize that depression is a long process that is not "fixed" overnight, and usually it never goes away completely (I still battle with mine every couple months and have a really terrible few days), but considering we've been living together for 8 months and he hasn't once made any initiation towards progressing without me or his mother pushing him, it's a little disappointing, that's all.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    sorry, I skimmed

it sounds like he is making lots of attempts. that's really great.

by affirmations, i just mean positive affirmations. so for example, "i will live life one step at a time". i know it seems silly, but it really really is helpful for some people.

what others are saying is correct, you can't motivate someone if they don't want to be motivated. even if you do choose to cut him loose, for your own sanity. always love and encourage him!

how old is your boyfriend and what area of the world do you live in?

He's going to be 25 this weekend, and I'm 25 also. We both live near Chicago in the USA.

I will always love and encourage him, just like I will also always love and encourage my ex, who also struggled with depression and horrific events that happened in her childhood.

I don't actually want to cut him loose, which is why I am trying to get more insight into how to help him help himself. Because me having a short fuse is not going to be helpful for either of us.
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options

He knows he's depressed, he has been for several years-- I think it's gotten to the point now where he uses it as a crutch ("I can't feel motivated" "I can't want to do things" "I can't fix myself").

I realize that depression is a long process that is not "fixed" overnight, and usually it never goes away completely (I still battle with mine every couple months and have a really terrible few days), but considering we've been living together for 8 months and he hasn't once made any initiation towards progressing without me or his mother pushing him, it's a little disappointing, that's all.

I totally understand... The saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My husband of 11 years is diagnosed with chronic depression and chronic pain issues. It took me a long time to accept his (and my) situation. Acceptance is the key. I don't know what to tell you, b/c you can't fix him, you can't make him "get better". You just have to decide if it is something you can live with and accept. Even if you love him, if you can't accept him and his depression, you best get out now, because living with a depressed loved one is one helluva bumpy road.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I have tried to get my boyfriend to be more active-- he used to lift weights a lot, so sometimes I get him to go to the gym with me, though most of the time he declines. We also take walks sometimes, but he simply runs out of energy before I do, so when I want a serious workout I just go by myself. How was your husband able to overcome his lack of energy in the physical activities?

And the gaming has always been a huge part of my boyfriend's life, but it's actually a way we bond together rather than a harmful addiction, at least in my eyes. However, it's all the more worrying to me when he doesn't even have the energy to get up and play for a while...

His energy came back as he came out of the depression, before that, he had to force it, but he still got out and rode his bike several times a week. It's not easy because you can't do it for him, he has to follow through on his own.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Depression and anxiety are usually the result of an underlying disorder. It rarely occurs on its own and is most likely co-morbid with other disorders.

I know this because I carry a diagnosis for more than one disorder that has resulted in chronic depression and anxiety.

They cannot be treated directly. The underlying problem must be addressed before the depression will subside. If his currently treatment strategy isn't helping him then perhaps its time to look at different forms of therapy or a second opinion on his diagnosis.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree. ^^^

I have hypo thyroid ism. When on my meds it fixes literally EVERYTHING. Depression, metabolism, constipation, fertility etc. if I miss for two days or more my entire body and mind gets completely out of wack. Something as simple as low thyroid can effect depression and I'm sure this is the case with most other disorders.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    that is not 100% of the time. mental health takes a lot of exploration in the healing process. a lot of times it just takes a really good dose of therapy and restructuring cognitions through different modules of therapy...or therapeutic techniques.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i WAS your bf. i've been so depressed (in the past) that i slept as much as possible, and even when awake barely moved from the couch to get food. my ex was you. he did the best he could to be supportive but he also yelled at me when he lost his patience.

it really didn't make any difference to me either way. i was so wrapped up in my own head that nothing was getting through.

if i were to put myself in your bf's place (knowing what i know now, having been through that and come out the other side), i'd say:

- ALWAYS talk to me like you love and respect me--no matter what i do or don't do
    - ALWAYS tell/show me you believe i can make better choices
    - NEVER accept the unacceptable. regardless of how depressed i am, i HAVE to take care of biz. make sure i don't forget/ignore this
    - NEVER take my responsibility away from me. *i* have to get better. *i* have to make the right choices.
    - NEVER take my behavior/choices personally. it's not really about you
    - take care of YOURSELF. don't let my poor choices eat away at your peace of mind. do what you need to do to stay healthy, even if that seems like it puts you at odds with me

...that's all you can really do, i think. the rest is up to me.

i've had to deal with the depression of my loved ones from time to time, and thankfully it's never been so bad that my life was greatly affected. i'll love the person and accept where they're at. if it's a just a bummer scene i'll deal. if it's an unhealthy scene, i'll split.

:heart: solidarity, chica :heart: from both ends :flowerforyou:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I had severe depression for a few years. I ended up making some pretty bad decisions; leaving my gf, drinking a lot, etc. A few months after I left her I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, among other things it caused depression, mood swings, and it affected my decision making ability. I had surgery a month after I was diagnosed. Now 9 months later I feel better than I ever have. I had no idea a tumor was the cause...